i feel like going to sarnia and beating her into a coma.

Tell us your animal stories. Give and receive advice about pets.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

i feel like going to sarnia and beating her into a coma.

Post by threenorns »

730 in the morning, i get woken up by my neighbour up the road. she's moving in 2hrs - "can you take the dog?". i said i talked to your bf on monday and everything was taken care of! "yeah, well, not so much."

more boohoo and justification but these are the highlights:

"our new place has these amazing hardwood floors and she just won't potty train" (cause, you know, puppies are *just* like cats in that respect).

"she's awful on the leash - she won't walk nicely at all. she's always fighting and trying to bite everything." (nice... so you're trying to pawn off an aggressive dog to a woman with a six year old.)

"she won't stay out of the garbage no matter what i do" (er.... how about, i dunno.... "putting the garbage where she can't get it"?)

"she's got fleas but i'm sure you have the stuff to take care of that" (how nice that you're sure)

and the piece de résistance?

(brace yourself)

"she ran out of food yesterday or maybe the day before but it was so close to moving it wasn't worth buying more."

in spite of that DREADFUL, dreadful woman, shiloh is a wierd looking but very very sweet little girl. the sadness is already apparent, though; she's probably confused about why she was never allowed in the house and just turfed out, untethered, onto an unfenced yard and let wander in what can be a busy road. [perhaps i'm being uncharitable in thinking they were half-hoping she'd get hit?]

she's not even "high energy" - as personalities go, she's remarkably mellow and very easy-going. she has moments where she bursts into the zoomies but hey - "puppy".

leash walking - she's a frikkin puppy
potty training - she's a frikkin puppy
"biting at everything" - she's a frikkin puppy (to the tune of my brand new slippers, the power cord to my computer speakers, my favourite pen, and three pairs of undies)
getting in the garbage - she is *terrified* of plastic bags, she's ribby as hell, and feeding her has not been a priority: she's HUNGRY!

the vet and a friend of mine both did quick temperament assessments and said they were moving from simple neglect to active abuse but it hasn't been enough to warp her personality (the vet, fex, had the vet tech snatch the leash and try to roughly drag her onto the scale; shiloh *lost* *her* *shit* - struggling, screaming, yelping, and the vet said "yeah, that's over the top. now the scoop." and the tech went behind her and scooped her up onto the scale. shiloh didn't react to her, just sat on the scale looking around like a confused little baby. the moment the tension was off the leash, she was fine and she didn't try to retaliate.).

although she widdled everywhere in the house on her first day (understandable), both nights have been dry and she does potty every time i take her outside (and not, ie, just inside the front door after coming home from a 1hr midnight walk with me chanting "oh, come ON!!! just go pee, already!!!!). she's had accidents each morning, but that's because i'm not fast enough getting her outside.

there is NOTHING wrong with her - these jackholes had the *perfect* puppy and they treated her like shit! the only reason they didn't drive off and leave her sitting in the yard (which was their original plan) was bec the bylaw enforcement officer told them if they did, then she would send the police after them to their new address. they thought they would be free and clear by leaving the jurisdiction. i suppose i should be thankful they brought her to me instead of dumping her off in the middle of Monck Road or something.

this is shiloh---> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7664_o.jpg

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: i feel like going to sarnia and beating her into a coma.

Post by Ice.Maiden »

Awww, threenorns, she's a lovely dog. The poor baby'll need loads of love, because she won't forget her past too easily. I had that with one of mine. She was starved, beaten, had fleas and mites - a pitiful bundle of skin and bones when she first came to us, but now? She's fabulous. She still cowers down if you unthinkingly raise your hand quickly - like when you go to brush your hair. She thinks she's going to get hit, so we have to reassure her that we'd never do that.

Shiloh's a mere baby yet. Of course she'll have accidents now and again, but as soon as she manages to hold herself, words of praise'll register.

I smiled at the things which Shiloh decided to trash or eat. Ours was the same. She ate one of a pair of £350 boots, she ate a Christmas cactus - plus the pot, and TEN rhododendron plants which were waiting to be planted out. She was rushed off to the vet in case she'd poisoned herself, but she was as fit as a fiddle! Not only was it naughtily puppyish, we found that she was suffering from a high level of stress after what she'd been through, but gradually, with a lot of attention and kindness, she's now a beautiful, placid and faithful dog.

Hope Shiloh turns out the same. I imagine that she will, because she now has an owner who cares.

I detest animal cruelty. It was a blessing in disguise that you were around to take her in.

Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Post by Paris »

When I saw her photo I took in a quick breath and said, "Oh-puppy-baby!"

I fell in love with her at first sight.

She's absolutely gorgeous.

What a beautiful, beautiful face.

Are you going to keep her?

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Post by pilvikki »

oh the poor thing looks so sad.

people are just so totally exasperating...

so, how is she doing with her new family around the corner and why didn't you take her?

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Ice.Maiden »

Oh - I see Shiloh's got a new home already. Sorry, I thought your daughter HAD taken her in. No matter, so long as she goes to a loving home.

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Post by pilvikki »

she did! wasn't really left with a choice there, but silja found her a permanent home.

:clap2:

brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Post by brandtrn »

Poor baby! And God damn irresponsible pet owners! WHY is it that so many people feel so comfortable in treating their fellow sentient beings as "disposable" property??

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Ice.Maiden »

Exactly.

I'm an animal lover, have quite a few, and I honestly don't think they could have a much better home/love/attention than they do. It's alien to me to even THINK of any cruelty, but sadly, it happens. I cried when our youngest dog first came to us. She was in a terrible state, and wouldnt've survived for much longer if she hadnt've been rescued. We look at her today, and see a girl who's getting on in age (she's 11 now), but a very happy and placid one. She's also glowing with health apart from a bit of arthritis in one of her back legs, but it doesn't prevent her from bounding around.