hell of a storm!

Tell us what's happening in your part of the world.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

hell of a storm!

Post by pilvikki »

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: hell of a storm!

Post by Ice.Maiden »

Yes, I watched some of the vids as the wind and rain swept in. It's terrible, and made worse by the fact that many people tried to shelter in their closets, where they soon got trapped. We moan about wars and stuff, but nature can be evil when she gets going.

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Ice.Maiden »

This reminded me of the tsunami in Japan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24887928

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Post by pilvikki »

i've not heard how china, laos and vietnam did...

Ice.Maiden
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Ice.Maiden »

Nor me. I knew that Vietnam was on alert though, but on yesterday's news, the storm'd petered out and hit there reasonably gently.

The quoted 10,000+ loss of lives in the Philippines was apparently over-estimated, but the situation's still bad. The UN's set aside £120m for relief, the UK's upped their initial £6m to £10m, and the Red Cross and other agencies are appealing for urgent funds. A warehouse storing rice which was meant for distribution's been ransacked by starving homeless people. You can't blasme them in a way. I suppose it's each to their own devices when they've been left with nothing.

Having said that, and I'm in no way decrying the seriousness of the situation, when all the funding's added up, it comes to a hefty amount, which I'd have thought would've more than covered the cost of replacing damaged homes and businesses, re-built roads and power lines and also fed the displaced folk who've lost everything. We have a friend who comes from the Philippines, and they said that really decent houses can be built for a nominal amount. You can buy a big plot of land for £3000, so considering the millions which'll end up as aid, I can't quite juggle the maths here when charities are still crying out for further funding? You'd pay around 30 baht for a meal over there. There're roughly 50 baht to the pound I think, so in comparison, people can live very cheaply, although their wages are low.