Beauty and brains

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Beauty and brains

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Oct 2014, 20:17

Do you agree with this article? I found it interesting that people with intelligence're considered to be physically more beautiful than those with less intelligence.

http://www.businessinsider.com/studies- ... ful-2013-6
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Beauty and brains

Postby Kellemora » 28 Oct 2014, 10:58

Hi Icey

I don't agree with all they stated.
The way they worded it makes it appear so.
But they just left out so much, I have to say it is not accurate.

In the field of sales, which is what they chose, handsome will usually outsell the ugly guy.
But who is the salesman's boss and what does he look like. More often than not, the guy at the top is the ugly guy, not the handsome guy.

I don't have time to hit the other topics.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Oct 2014, 19:06

That's OK Gary, I understand what you've just said.

It made me stop and wonder. Why, then, are pretty blonde women classed as "bimbos" when they might not be? I personally feel that however attractive or unattractive a person is, that's often the first thing that's considered, but underneath, either could be highly intelligent - or not at all.

We know that people'd rather see a pretty girl on reception duties, or a handsome salesman with one of those "winning" smiles, but how much does that say for the general IQ? Probably not a lot. I don't know where these people get their statistics from.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 29 Oct 2014, 13:46

I have no idea where they come up with this stuff.

I figure the main reason companies use gorgeous well endowed gals in their advertising, is they are hoping the customers will buy TWO of their product. ☺
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 29 Oct 2014, 17:17

here's the reason: I once had such an absolutely gorgeous salesman walk in that all I could think of was 'just be quiet, i'd rather look than listen!'

it was some 30 years ago and I still remember it because it isn't normal for me to react that way. I am very much affected by a person's looks, but normally it's more a question of one looking pleasant and intelligent, rather than pretty with a Vacancy sign for eyes.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Oct 2014, 17:43

LOL @ Gary! I know that "sex" in adverts sells though, but to get back to the original theory, I tend to disagree that "beautiful" people're more intelligent than those who're not. There're some who are, and some who aren't, and some of the most clever people that I know really aren't much to look at in the aesthetics department, but they have the brains to make up for their "shortfalls".

Women - and men - who have those vacant stares (LOL @ Vikki now!), DO tend to be less bright, but the vacancy can accompany the sort of looks that people go for if they don't want a serious and "complicated" partner.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 30 Oct 2014, 12:44

Oh I agree Icey. Beauty and Brains usually don't have anything to do with each other.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Nov 2014, 20:23

It just depends. One can geralise, but take our Carol Vorderman, who presented one of our TV games ....

[ img ]

Carol has an honours degree in engineering, which she got while studying at Cambridge, and has a maths website as well as now writing educational books. This's one smart lady, who happens to look alright as well.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 03 Nov 2014, 13:25

must be nice! :lol:

it's funny to watch some silly sitcom or a band like the Police and then see how many degrees these people actually have.

if you take the Big Bang Theory:

Mayim Hoya Bialik is an American actress and neuroscientist.

kevin sussman:

Attended City University of New York, College of Staten Island, New York, NY; American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York, NY.

jim parsons:

From there he won a place on a two-year Masters course in classical theater at the University of San Diego/The Old Globe Theater, graduating in 2001.

kunal nayyal:

He took acting classes, but he went on to graduate from the University of Portland with a degree in business, as something to fall back on. He then went on to get a master's degree in fine arts from Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He did some work for the prestigious Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford, UK.

Melissa rauch:

She attended Marymount Manhattan College in New York City, where she received a BFA degree

and then we have penny, kaley cuoco-sweeting:

When she's not acting, Cuoco is an avid tennis player, who consistently ranks well in Southern California Tennis Association standings as a member of a regional amateur division team. In addition, she enjoys spending time with friends, going to the mall and hip-hop dancing. Cuoco is home-schooled and lives in Ventura County, California with her family.

the reason I pulled these bios was because penny is supposed to be the pretty blond airhead, the other's not attractive at all. to sort of uphold the stereo type?

yet - with maybe one exception or so they are all very attractive people, just made to look nerdy and dressed funny.

oh, btw the lady who does mrs wolowitch is 62 and her last name is Susi, which I finnish means wolf. :lol:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Nov 2014, 13:09

LOL @ the last bit, but the rest don't surprise me.

You're right about the stereotype characters - supposedly pretty but dim, or plain and clever. Of course, they're made-up and dressed to look their parts, and actually aren't ugly people at all, but in general, folk seem to be under the impression that this really follows, and sometimes, women're their own worst enemies at perpetuating the idea.

I saw part of a documentary recently about rich women in the US and the UK. These women'd never worked and openly admitted to living off men. One went shopping, carrying a little dog around with her in her bag. Of course, the poor animal was clad in a designer outfit, with its toe nails painted pink to match its coat - and owner's lipstick. When asked what she'd be doing if she wasn't able to go on shopping trips every day, the woman went vacant for a few seconds, then stood there giggling stupidly. Yes, she was blonde, with the fake eyelashes, blah blah.

She looked horrified at the suggestion that she might do anything but what she was used to. "Well ..." she mused, "I can't even think about it. I ... I ... I ...." and then she went vacant again and gave another ridiculous giggle.

A minute later, the cameras turned to a young woman in London, who was also on a shopping trip. "I have to have what I want," she said weakly, "but I'm a model, so I earn some money of my own ... but my flat's expensive .... and ... I have to shop, so I only go where I can meet men who understand my needs." Again ... the simple laughter.

I'm sure that these females have more to offer than how they put themselves over, but it seems they don't want to be any different. Life's easier for them when they can find someone else who'll pay, and if they don't have to account for their spending sprees.

Cue back to the American girl. She was disappointed that she'd spent less than £30,000 (nearly $480,000) on the day that she was being filmed, and said she'd have to go back to the mall the next day.

These sort of people only have themselves to blame for being seen as gold-diggers or worse, but it doesn't bode well for other women who might be attractive - and blonde, in particular - who might find it harder to justify the fact they have brains as well.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 04 Nov 2014, 14:19

and what will they do when they no longer are pretty, and still have no brains...?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Nov 2014, 16:18

Btw, that was $48,000, not $480,000! : )

Well exactly, although I suppose their generous boyfriends're expected to pay for the Botox, the lifts ....

I think there's something seriously flawed about these people. They obviously lack confidence in themselves or something - or ARE they brainless, and just rely on their looks to bring in all their material goods?

Some might say - good for them; if they can find men who're daft enough to spend all their money on them, then who's the stupid one? But they have no sense of self-worth, do they?

There's nothing wrong in making the most of yourself if looks're so important to the individual, but it's like the money's compensating for something that they're bereft of - like personality, brains and the ability to attract by any other means.

I might be wrong, but I've seen lesser instances of this, and these women're constantly on edge that someone younger and prettier's going to come along and wreck what they have. They seem unable to form lasting relationships, and if they DO get married, often end up divorced.

Come the day that they reach 50 and see something ageing or plastic staring back at them from the mirror, I wonder if the money and possessions they've managed to amass're going to keep them happy and stop them from feeling lonely?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 06 Nov 2014, 07:31

It's human nature to see the looks first and judge them on said looks. Yes, a beautiful blond with huge ***** is instantly seen as a bimbo, irrespective of her IQ. People aren't attracted to personality, that comes later.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 06 Nov 2014, 08:58

not sure about that... I think some of it comes through...?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Nov 2014, 15:12

So do I, tbh. Perhaps AJ's seeing it solely from a male perspective.

When you first meet someone, in whatever capacity, I think a nice warm smile immediately attracts attention, but perhaps men more consciously study the face/body. Personality shines through within the first few minutes of speaking to someone, by the manner in which they put themselves over.

I'm not saying that women don't LOOK, consciously or otherwise, but I think we tend to be drawn to facial attributes such as eyes, which're swiftly put to one side as we begin to sum the rest of that person up.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information