Windows 8 Danger For Data Security

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Windows 8 Danger For Data Security

Postby Yogi » 23 Sep 2013, 11:37

If we can believe the German Federal Office for Security in Information Technology (BSI), the secure boot integrated into Windows 8 is a threat to anyone who wants to protect the data on their computer. This should come as no surprise to any savvy computer user who knows even a little about hacking. The news here is the implication that Microsoft is being complicit and providing the NSA with a back door entry into their operating system. Considering the similar agreement Microsoft made with the RIAA about digitally protected music, nobody should be surprised that something similar is going on as far as piracy and the protection of intellectual property of software developers.

BSI is making a point that the encryption keys that are integral to making the secure boot function are potentially available to entities such as the Chinese military. This gives anyone with the encryption keys the ability to take over the operating system remotely and do what they wish with the data therein. Thus BSI recommends not using Windows 8 in any government computer or in any situation where privacy is critical. The city of Munich chose to convert all their computers to Linux, which is not compatible with secure boot, as opposed to purchasing machines that have the encryption chip disabled.

In these days of revelations about the extent of NSA spying on American citizens the indictment of Microsoft's Windows 8 is to be expected. But, really now, what has changed? The use of any Microsoft product is by license. They own the software you are using and they have a right to try and protect their products from theft as well as have a right (and obligation?) to cooperate with government agencies who also use their products. It's always been like that, but today's political climate is trying to make this newsworthy. It's much ado about nothing. If you don't like the way Microsoft does business, there is always Linux. Good luck with that.

http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/201 ... windo.html
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Windows 8 Danger For Data Security

Postby Kellemora » 24 Sep 2013, 08:37

As I've said all along, there is NOTHING SECURE about UEFI...

Its only purpose was to give Mickey$oft control of YOUR computer, nothing more, nothing less.

The City of Munich has SEEN THE LIGHT and made the MOVE to Linux!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby brandtrn » 24 Sep 2013, 14:55

Doesn't surprise me, not in the least. But no, I don't think I'll make the move to Linux...I'm not nerdish enough to be able to make sense of that, and besides, the majority of my software is Windows-based. While what you've posted gives me a good reason not to want to upgrade to Windows 8, I imagine the government can hijack my computer with the OS I've got, if they really want to do it. Just one more reason never to have anything on your computer (or to post on the internet) *anything* that you wouldn't want the government to see...but since that's a maxim I live by anyway, I see no reason to be upset over this news.
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Yogi » 25 Sep 2013, 10:55

I've posted my studied opinion about Linux in other threads here, and after a few years experience with it now my opinion has not changed. If you are comfortable with Microsoft's Windows, don't bother to switch to anything Linux unless it's on an experimental basis. I will concede that Linux Ubuntu is probably the best substitute for a Windows environment out there. If you want to see what Linux is all about, Ubuntu is the way to start. Like anything else there is a learning curve with Linux, but that's not the problem. It's what comes after the learning curve that makes me want to stick with Windows as long as possible.

Windows 7 is probably the best operating system Microsoft ever made. I see no compelling reason to migrate off it at this time. However, software and application developers are no longer concentrating on Windows 7, nor much of any desktop applications these days. It's all mobile app driven devices now. At the moment desktops and laptops dominate, but that will change going forward. When using Window 7 is no longer viable - I'd guess about 8-10 years out - I will consider making some version of Linux my default system. Until then, it's just too much trouble to switch.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers