The Ubuntu Edge

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

The Ubuntu Edge

Postby Yogi » 23 Jul 2013, 09:07

I had a feeling that something like this would happen eventually. Ubuntu, as traditional Linux fans know, has broken the mold of it's desktop appeal by introducing a Windows-like mobile GUI desktop environment called Unity. The assumption at Ubuntu HQ is that they are ahead of the development curve by trying to resurrect an interest by the general public in some form of Linux computers. All they did so far is alienate most of the die hard Linux traditionalist. But, there are a lot of folks who are ready to migrate off the desktop, where Windows rules, into some sort of mobile device. The problem is that mobile computing sucks when compared to what a desktop can do. Ubuntu seems to be dead serious about changing all that now.
The Ubuntu Edge wants to be the first phone that can dock and serve as a full PC replacement and Shuttleworth believes that the hardware is now capable enough to handle it and that Ubuntu can do the hardware/software integration to succeed where others have failed.
This could be exciting. All that's needed now is to get people interested in funding the idea.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-s ... takeaways/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: The Ubuntu Edge

Postby Yogi » 12 Aug 2013, 09:27

Maybe not ...

After raising about 9 million of the 32 it needs, it looks like the Canonical dream is going to be a nightmare. As Yogi (the baseball player) would say, "It ain't over til it's over." but there is barely more than a week left to get the cash for launching this project.

Well, maybe Ubuntu will finally go away now that it's purpose in life seems to be as elusive as crowd sourced funding.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ubuntu-edge- ... days-to-go
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 12 Aug 2013, 11:06

I wonder when Ubuntu is going to wake up and find out they are driving their users away in droves?
I'm not against them for trying to get into the DumbFone market.
But the way they went about doing it is all wrong.
They are trying to build a proprietary platform on top of a free platform, in an attempt to destroy the free platform.
FLOSS users and advocates will never tolerate such a vile and nasty takeover attempt.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 12 Aug 2013, 13:47

I wonder if Google (Android) and Apple (iOS) know about that :think: :whistle:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 13 Aug 2013, 11:57

Hmm, is right!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 13 Aug 2013, 19:17

It's just one of the wonderful things about FLOSS and open source code in general. Anybody can come along and and add their perversions to it under the pretense of offering something better. Given the hundreds, if not thousands, of implementations of Linux as open source coding, it's doesn't take a lot of thought to appreciate the licensing of software that is consistent.

Ubuntu is attracting users with it's cockamamie operating system. Those who are disgruntled never were Ubuntu fans in the first place so that it can't be said they are defecting from a product they never embraced. The critics of Ubuntu are old school hackers who are perfectly happy living with outdated operating systems. And, why not? As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For us bleeding edge nerds, Ubuntu is the shizzle.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 14 Aug 2013, 11:40

Although I know they have to venture into other areas, mobile, cloud, etc.

For the life of me, I don't understand why, when a company comes up with a good thing, they just abandon it, rather than improve upon the solid base they worked so hard to build. Referring to Ubuntu 8.04 here.

I probably shouldn't have used the word Base, because Ubuntu is built on Debian.
I've tried Mint, also built on Debian, and finally decided to go with Debian. No complaints.

Although I've learned to dislike those Forks you first mentioned. Especially spin-off Distros.
I'm finding certain Packages geared toward specific tasks. Lightweight Distro's, based on Debian, that only include the Applications necessary for the specific task at hand. But bundled into a turn-key download.
These can also be merged with your existing Distro, rather than dual boot into the same base OS.

I'm seeing more and more of these self-running packages issued on USB sticks.
Most folks shut off their laptops, so have to boot up anyhow. Which is why they seem to be doing so well.
A fellow writer has everything he needs, from the OS to the software programs, all on a single bootable USB stick.
He saves his data to a cloud server, and possibly on the USB stick itself.
He picked it up as a package unit, already preloaded with everything he uses, plus a few other things he removed, so as not to be tempted by them.
I teased him, sorta like the days of CD games, where the CD HAD TO BE in the drive to play the game.
He said, with a major twist. On the CD games, if you changed computers, you had to start the game over.
On my SD Card, I can sit down at any computer, plug it in, and continue where I left off.
He now has duplicate SD Cards, one for each novel he's writing. He could do them all on one, but said it saves opening things for each project. This way, whatever he's working on, is always exactly how he left it.
Makes Sense!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 14 Aug 2013, 12:54

I think you already know the answer to why changes in Linux distributions occur, but I'll take the risk of repeating it. Ubuntu 8.04 is the Windows 98 of it's realm. Neither one of those operating systems can properly handle today's computing needs. System users change as does the technology. Thus, if an entity wants to remain competitive and/or viable, they have to keep up with the changes or die. On the other hand, there is no compelling reason to migrate off Ubuntu 8.04 if it suits your needs in the year 2013. The fact that you did abandon it suggests that it too was not satisfying your needs.

The need for your CD to be present in those old time games had nothing to do with the functionality of the game per se.. It was a dongle that had to be physically present in order for the software to boot. That process was designed to prevent pirates from bootlegging copies of the game because the key was on the CD and nowhere else. It's amusing in some ways, but that is exactly what UEFI is all about. Only Microsoft has the key and if you are not plugged into the proper BIOS, you can't run their software, or duplicate it, or hack it.

I have a half dozen memory sticks with various flavors of Linux for specific purposes. I can't see anyone doing useable work off a memory stick Linux installation. Perhaps the 64GB versions on USB3 are acceptable, but in my experience anything less has a terrible response time. I do much better with virtual machines that run out of RAM. At least one of my VM's runs better than the native mode of Windows on the same hardware. It's amazing to see how much SATA and mechanical disk drives slow down a system.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Aug 2013, 13:18

I understand what you are saying Yogi.
It is similar to the old Win95/98 days.
Just when you finally get your computer running properly, and all the programs working with it.
They begin updating the programs, slowing them down, and you need a faster OS to run them.

One of the reasons I had so many computers, is simply, once I got them working exactly the way I wanted them to work. I quit updating anything. When I heard about enough changes that had taken place, I would go with the new OS and all new programs. And do the same with it. When it was running perfectly, stop changing or upgrading it.

I just got rid of a Win95 computer and CGA monitor, it booted and ran perfectly, slow as molasses compared to today. But the point is, it worked and all the programs on it functioned as they did when I locked the system down.

Ubuntu quit providing upgrades or security fixes for 8.04, it reached the end of its life span.

Updating Linux is considerably different than keeping Windows updated, when you consider the amount of money it takes to upgrade all of the software programs associated with it.

I'm not sure on the USB Stick packages, if they load into RAM while you are working from them or not?
I know if I run an OS from a LIVE CD or a USB Stick, it runs much slower. Unless it moves part of it to RAM, then it is faster.
Since the packages I was referring to, had more to do with writers and text entry and editing. I'm pretty sure USB runs much faster than I can type, which on a good roll is 120 wpm.

As an aside, changing from CAT-5e to CAT-6 last year, made a remarkable difference, both in speed and on the billfold; speed went up, hip national bank when way down, hi hi.....
Same with my USB cables, I changed out several old ones to newer, and transfer times to the external HD's dropped.
When I was running Ethernet, through 75 ohm cable, the types of cable made a major difference.
I knew it would, from my ham radio antenna's, I always used what was best for the frequency of operation.
And of course, the switches all had to be compatible to get good speeds.
I guess the next way to upgrade will be fiber optics, as 10 to 40 gigabit LAN equipment is still out of sight, pricewise.
Or perhaps, moving from my garage into the house might be cheaper, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary

CAT-6 is considerably larger cable, size wise, but I think the wire inside is only 1 gauge larger.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 15 Aug 2013, 15:19

The difference between CAT-5 and CAT-6 Ethernet cable is bandwidth. The Ethernet standard is an 8 wire duplex arrangement, but the impedance and shielding is different between the two categories. CAT-6 is made to conduct gigabyte data while the bandwidth for CAT-5 is designed for 100 megabytes. Coax is two wire serial that is very lossy over long distances.

LAN speed is the result of all the components attached to the LAN, not just the wires. Everything from your modem, to your router, to your data lines, to your network interface card has to match in order to optimize data transfer. You certainly can mix and match, but performance is affected if all the impedance points are different. Then, if you are going for high speed, you have to have the proper cable coming to your house from your service provider. It won't do you any good to have fiber on your LAN if the service provider is only supplying 100Mb cables.

The question is, "why would you use USB (typically 35Mb transfer rate) on a gigabyte LAN?" If you want speed, convert the external USB drives to NAS which essentially is a server. In that case your storage devices will be transferring data as fast as your incoming data from the Internet.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Aug 2013, 10:37

I wasn't so much worried about the connection to the internet, as the connection between my house and garage.

I actually HATE using the NAS because it is so slow. Compared to an external USB Hard Drive (connected to the computer saving the data that is).

I have an external HD connected to a computer down at the house, as redundant backup. OFTEN, rather than send the backup over the LAN, even at 1 gig. I will walk down to the house, unplug the external, carry it up to the garage, connect it to the SAME Computer as the external up here, then mirror one to the other.
What can be done in only five minutes, external to external on the same computer, takes about an hour over the LAN, and if I copy to the NAS, it can take up to five hours. Roughly the same amount of time it takes to send it over the internet to an external HD up in St. Louis. Talking about 500 gigs of data here. Individual files are super fast to almost anything.

It used to be, if you had a 10 meg device on the 10/100 LAN, that device would drag everything down to 10 megs.
I replaced my switches at the time we went with CAT-6, because if I didn't, using CAT-6 would have been a waste of time.
I'm not a geek, so don't know how to explain this properly. Because I have several computers and LAN devices in my office, I have checked the speed with them disconnected, bypassing the switch also.
We replaced using two stacked routers, to one single wifi 10/100/1000 router.
The CAT-6 runs between the router and the slot data in the switch in my office.
My main computer has a short CAT-6 cable to slot one in the switch. Likewise between the computer in the house and the router. Everything else is using the older CAT-5e LAN cables between the devices and the switch.
The NAS is only 10/100, which is why it is SLOW.
I do use a CAT-6 cable between it and the router, which helped very slightly.
And a CAT-6 cable to the Cable Modem. The Cable Company replaced the indoor cable from their box to the modem. We do not have Cable TV, so no splitters anymore. This gave us about a 10 mbps over what we used to get. But speed has a lot to do with how busy our street to the office is that day too. Some days we get 6 mbps, other days over 20 mbps.
This is one reason I transfer data to St. Louis around three AM, when we always get the highest speeds.

I am hoping, within the next few years, to be able to move my office down to the house. But right now, it doesn't look like that will ever happen. The room I intended to use, the frau has her eye on as an art studio, hi hi..... And you know, the frau always wins, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers