Putlook question

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Putlook question

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Mar 2013, 08:06

Over here, the new Outlook.com's been gradually taking over from the old Hotmail. I found the new set-up there a couple of days back, whether I wanted it or not. It looks a bit wishy-washy to me, but easy enough to use.

The thing is, this morning I couldn't get into it at all, so can't access any of my emails. It seems that Microsoft's apologised about this, saying that they've had complaints which'll be rectified shortly.

Anyone else on here had this problem? Do you know how long it might be inaccessible for? :shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Putlook question

Postby Kellemora » 16 Mar 2013, 11:16

I don't use WebMail so those issues have never affected me.

Although, most e-mail these days is converted and sent as webmail, then converted back to e-mail for us die-hards who insist on sticking with the tried and true e-mail protocol.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Mar 2013, 12:00

And ... "Putlook"???? Apologies everyone - I mis-typed. It was meant to say Outlook, of course! Don't know if I can edit the headers? Durr .....

Anyway, I've managed to get my new account back, with everything there. Now it's bookmarked safely - I hope. : (

I've been reading dozens and dozens of complaints about the new system, but I'm sure that everyone'll get used to it.

What's the tried and true email protocol then Gary?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 16 Mar 2013, 19:27

The most popular way to see your mail in this century is to use a web browser. :grin:

We have a feature here on Brainformation whereby you can send an e-mail (as opposed to a private message) to any of our members who allow it. That is accomplished by you coming to this web site to send the message, and this web site in turn contacts an e-mail server (Hotmail in my case) to deliver the message. I then have to connect to the Hotmail server to read your message. It's all done with browsers (or smoke and mirrors, I forget which).

The old school alternative is to have a program on your computer that sends and receives e-mail. In that scenario there is no middleman so to speak. You send and receive the mail directly from the program on your computer. The advantage is that you have the mail in your possession, and not some remote server. The disadvantage is that you must use your personal computer in order to read/write the mail. A browser based e-mail system on the other hand allows you to go to any computer in the world and use it's browser to read your mail.

I'm guessing it's still smoke and mirrors to you Icey, but that's pretty much how it works. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Mar 2013, 10:38

I used to have a copy of every valid e-mail and packet message I've ever received since the late 1980's.
I finally cleaned out the packet system archives only last year. But as far as e-mails, I lost several attachments so cleaned them up to 1998. Except business associated e-mails which are always saved immediately to the vendor or clients annual folder.

As far as reading my e-mails anywhere I go. I can still do that too, and leave the mail on the server. This is pretty automatic these days, unless you specifically say to delete from server. I'm reminded of that every time I set-up a new computer. I connect to my e-mail and bang, everything not yet read by that computer, that is still on server, downloads as NEW.

Heck, I still have old BBS e-mail forwarding, from back home, and I've lived down south here over 10 years now. hi hi.....

And FWIW: Most e-mail today CAN be viewed on the server using a web browser to access the Mail Folder.
Heck, I think our old BBS service even allows one to do that now too, hi hi.....
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Mar 2013, 15:41

Thank you Yogi.

:tiptoe:

The stupid thing was inaccessible again for a short time today, but it came back later on. :bleh:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 18 Mar 2013, 07:04

If Hotmail can't provide service when you need it, perhaps it's time to look elsewhere.
Here is a Hotmail alternative I recommend ==> https://www.gmx.com/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Mar 2013, 07:15

Thank you Yogi - I now have an account with them, but I wanted to keep Hotmail as well because I've used it for years. GMX's fine, except that I've had one or two problems in signing in even with that one - but at least I CAN access it. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Personal Computers