Diaspora Getting Closer?

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Demise Of A Pod?

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 09:53

An update to this thread is called for. Ser.endipito.us has been down for the past couple of days, as confirmed by the podupti.me site. Upon checking podupti.me this morning, ser.endipito.us is no longer on the list at all.

I suspect this means that the Sysadmin may have taken it down permanently. At the bottom of the pudupti.me page, it states:

Pod Host? Click here to add/manage your listing.
Poduptime is run by David Morley and is open source on GitHub
I also run the pods diasp.org and the dia.so site.
Some pods are Hidden That have too many issues.

Noticing the bottom statement ("Hidden" is clickable), I went to that area of the site and found ser.endipito.us on the list there...still down, but still on the list. I guess if I want to find out what's going on with ser.endipito.us, I'm going to have to join another pod. Think I'll make it calispora, since I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. Its former administrator was Pistos, and he was very proactive with his users and keeping up on the pod.

At any rate, that would allow me to find information on ser.endipito.us. I don't want to lose that account, but if it's to be, then at least I'll know about it and be able to take measures to regain some of my information. I'll also be able to keep some of the people I invited there of what is going on and whether they need to look for another pod to join (if they're still interested).

I'm interested, but if ser.endipito.us is to join the Internet's historical records, it will. I'll have to move on and find another pod for permanent residence. A little notice would have been nice, though! Pistos released ample warning that he was leaving (he went on to Libertree), and the pod didn't even go down.

I would expect no less from any other Sysadmin, so that his (or her) users could retain and transfer their settings and contacts to another pod, especially if the pod was going to be shut down. We'll see...
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Diaspora Getting Closer?

Postby Yogi » 15 Sep 2012, 10:11

Diaspora always impressed me as something hodge podge not to be taken seriously. Early on I discovered it had ties and/or sympathies toward the "occupy" subculture. It's all very interesting but not a class act. I hope you don't lose anything if your pod bites the dust. SInce you are our ambassador over there, feel free to start a new branch over here. I'd be more than happy to provide the space in a subdomain of your choice. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 11:49

Yogi wrote:Diaspora always impressed me as something hodge podge not to be taken seriously. Early on I discovered it had ties and/or sympathies toward the "occupy" subculture.

I don't know about any "ties and/or sympathies" with the Occupy subculture. By its very nature as a "distributed social community," anyone can join an amenable pod, or create one of their own. That doesn't mean that every other pod will connect with and share the information on that pod. It's all at the discretion of the individual pod administrator (and ostensibly, the users of that pod).

In going through the list of "hidden pods" on the podupti.me page, while some of the pods listed there were on it for obvious reasons (ser.endipito.us showed the last download of updates in 1969...how that happened...), some were there for no reason obvious on that page, so I visited a couple of the otherwise healthy ones. One was hosted by the "Chinese Pirate Party," though it shows a U.S. hosting address, relegated to that list even though it had very reasonable response time and 100% uptime. One can well imagine why it has "issues."

Yes, as a result of the nature of the Diaspora network, you'll have a looney or two either joining an existing pod that is amenable with their 'cause', or creating their own pod. It's up to the individual pods' Sysadmins to accept or reject sharing information with those pods. I've found there are quite a few pods (ser.indipito.us, included) that don't share with every pod in the network. I found that to be the case with a few of my friends who joined pods that I couldn't connect with.

As with anything, there are pluses and minuses to different styles. Facebook and Google+ are centralized, and therefore, you can connect with anyone anywhere who has an account. As a result, they will go to great lengths to not irritate "the powers that be," and will drop an offending subscriber at the drop of a hat, even to the point of even a suspicion that they might be.

Diaspora, being a decentralized network, doesn't subscribe to 'censorship' of its individual members. That is left to the administrators of the individual pods, which is as it should be, in my opinion. Anyone, or any group, can download the software and put up a pod to ascribe to their various political and other views, and it is totally up to them how much (if any) information they want to share with the other pods, and up to the other individual pods whether to share with them.

The simple solution to the perceived "occupation" of the Diaspora network is to either join a pod that blocks those kind of posts, or start your own pod and do so. Those groups are naturally going to be drawn to such a network, where they can freely communicate their ideas without the possibility of network-wide expulsion. Personally, I don't mind those posts and think of it as freedom of expression. If I don't like or agree with what I read, I move on to the next post.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 15 Sep 2012, 13:34

I find it mildly amusing to see your tolerance of the Diaspora pod members yet felt a need to vent right here on this web site your displeasure with opposing points of view from your friends on Farcebook. Please don't misunderstand. I hold your opinions in high regard even though some are contrary to each other. Who is without such a dichotomy?

The simple solution to the perceived "occupation" of the Diaspora network is to either join a pod that blocks those kind of posts, or start your own pod and do so.

I understand the nature of distributed networking. Blessed be those who populate a "distributed social community." However, there is another option, i.e., to not associate at all with the community. I personally found nothing compelling at Ser.endipito.us, and apparently I am not the only one who found issues with them.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 23:56

Well, my previous point has now been made moot. I was just about to join calispora, and checked the podupti.me site one more time. Ser.enditio.us is back on line and in operation. Sure would like to know what the problem was, but I'll either find out later or not.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 16 Sep 2012, 07:29

Did they update/change the software by some chance? It looks a little cleaner than it used.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Sep 2012, 11:27

Hi Glenn

I started on mipodus and moved over to calispora, I just like calispora a whole lot better.

I only chimed in to say, you should have more than one active pod you can log into.
This also keeps your data available to you, regardless of which pod it originated on.
Even your private data follow you, if you are on another pod, before the previous one disappears.

One has to remember, as you said, anyone can start a pod. By the same token, anyone can tire of running one and just quit.

One heck of a lot of private pods have come into being since I first joined. They don't appear on any listings anywhere. So, unless invited, you don't even know they exist. How that works I have no idea, as I can be on an open pod and connect to a private pod through it, if I'm a member and know about it. But nothing I say appears anywhere else on Diaspora while I'm connected.

Too complicated for me to even guess at how it works or what is actually going on!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 16 Sep 2012, 11:58

Looks pretty much the same, to me. I'm pretty sure it was a software upgrade that took the site down...probably botched, considering how long it was down for. I haven't noticed the past few updates, really.

You're right though. It looks a bit cleaner and more refined. Maybe they did some prettying up on the last upgrade. There wasn't much done in the past couple months or so, while they worked on a side project.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 18 Sep 2012, 12:15

Well, Ser.endipito.us is down again, so this time I went ahead and took the plunge. I now have a presence on Calispora, so I'm at least covered as far as access to the Diaspora network is concerned, and another account open to address any 'contingiency'.

I must have posted at nearly the same time, Gary, and didn't notice your post...

Kellemora wrote:I started on mipodus and moved over to calispora, I just like calispora a whole lot better.

I like ser.endipito.us, but I'm sure I'll fit right in with calispora, as well. Ser.endipito.us has become unreliable recently, and I'm worried it might disappear. Calispora seems to be popular and stable, so in the event Serendipitous bites the dust, the transition will be painless.

Kellemora wrote:I only chimed in to say, you should have more than one active pod you can log into. This also keeps your data available to you, regardless of which pod it originated on. Even your private data follow you, if you are on another pod, before the previous one disappears.

I've known that more than one account is an option for quite a while. It's just that I avoided it due to seeing multiple postings, which I attributed to multiple accounts with multiple pods. Unfortunately, the recent unreliability of my original pod is forcing me to establish alternative residence elsewhere, in case it disappears permanently.

When you say your private data follows you, are you saying that it does so automatically? I was under the impression that you had to download and transfer it manually.

Kellemora wrote:One has to remember, as you said, anyone can start a pod. By the same token, anyone can tire of running one and just quit.

Exactly, and that's the 'contingency' of which I speak. I'd hate to see Serendipitous suddenly disappear, along with all my settings, contacts, and everything else. I have a "legacy" contact that I certainly want to preserve...one with Ilya Zhitomirskiy, one of the founders of Diaspora...since he's no longer with us to maintain it. He started following me out of nowhere, not long before his demise.

Kellemora wrote:One heck of a lot of private pods have come into being since I first joined. They don't appear on any listings anywhere. So, unless invited, you don't even know they exist. How that works I have no idea, as I can be on an open pod and connect to a private pod through it, if I'm a member and know about it. But nothing I say appears anywhere else on Diaspora while I'm connected.

Too complicated for me to even guess at how it works or what is actually going on!

What I surmise is that it all depends on how the administrators of those pods set their software up. The Diaspora software can be set to share everything (public) with the entire network, or to keep their information private to the pod and its members, public posts and all.

I don't know the mechanism of what you describe, though. It sounds like there is a connection between all pods through the network, but transfer of information between them is restricted except for allowing a member to connect to a private pod through the network.

Odd, but effective for keeping private information private, I suppose. Sounds like a convenience for members of those private pods, since they don't have to log directly into that pod to access it. I don't see the necessity for it, myself...I'm capable of logging directly into whatever pod I want to. I guess it's just a functionality of the Diaspora software itself, as a networking system.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 18 Sep 2012, 12:40

Hi Glenn

Saw you over on Calispora a bit ago and said Hi!

I never downloaded and moved my data from mipodus, but I did put them as one of my hashtags, this allowed me to go back there when they came back up again.

I've not seen double posts occur because of having more than one account. Unless you actually post something at both pods, which isn't necessary.

I really don't know how that system works, but I've had many friends who have moved around from one pod to another and I don't seem to lose contact with them. Unless they change their name or something from what it was on the original pod.
I saw your post when you posted on Calispora and I'm following different hashtags than you are. So I figure it must be from our other links.

I probably should add a few more hashtags as I'm not seeing an old buddy who has bounced around several pods recently. He was into things I don't mess with, so didn't want to use those hashtags and get swamped with all that stuff in my feed.

Well, it's getting late in the day and I have a lot of writing to get done yet before I can start on my own works.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Internet Memes