About this BLOG!

Share your writing skills and creativity.
Forum rules
-This blog is owned by Kellemora
-Read Gary's ABOUT THIS BLOG before posting

About this BLOG!

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 16:43

Topic: About this BLOG!

The primary purpose of this Blog is to provide support, encouragement and helpful tips, to both aspiring and experienced writers, regarding the various Elements of Writing.

To achieve this goal, interesting articles will published for members to comment about, expound on, and add other helpful hints and tips associated with the Topic. If you have written an article helpful to others, on submission and review, I can include it in the topical list of publications open for comment.

This Blog is NOT for posting, as commentary; writings, stories, poems or any other derivative works by authors. I cannot stress this enough! Dennis has provided the "Personal Pursuits" forum for those wishing to share their own works.

One other thing I wish to stress strongly; sharing your work-in-progress with others for help, poses the very real danger of Accidental Collaboration. If someone gives you an idea, or suggestion for a change specific to your manuscript, and you use it, beware of the consequences. I will do an article on Accidental Collaboration so you can see just how easy this can happen.

I give Dennis the credit for suggesting the use of a Blog, in lieu of creating a new category, thus bloating the Forums. By using a Blog, referencing Topics will be easy, preventing key articles from getting lost amid commentary. Yet a Blog still allows for readers commentary and valuable input.

One first Topic in the listing will be titled "Open Writing Discussion" for those wishing to discuss problem areas in their writing. Please treat this as a Question/Answer venue and use the main nBF Forums for idle chit-chat. Thank You!

Please remember, I am only one person, with a job and massive honey-do list. I intend to post new articles in a timely fashion, and welcome helpful submissions under all writing venues. Suggestions for specific topics or areas of interest will help give them higher priority.

We have a few common sayings: If I sent you to get a Fork, and you did not know what a Fork looked like. How could you find it? Closely related to that is; If I do not know the right questions to ask. How will I learn? In essence; that is what this Blog is all about; to outline the many areas of writing and the specific areas within each venue, in order for you to become familiar with some of the terminology and enable you to do a few web searches for the means used by others to handle various situations.

Welcome neoBrainFormation Members to my Blog!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: About this BLOG!

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2012, 18:07

:dance:
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 11 Jul 2012, 18:41

In all my eagerness to support the interests of the authors in our midst, a Writers Corner has been created in addition to this blog. I don't know if that amounts to redundancy or providing too much information, but the venues are slightly different. Gary owns this blog and is accountable for all that goes on herein. The general Writers Corner forum provides a means for all members to initiate topics of interests to our authoring audience. This blog is more or less a guided tour while the open forum can be quite random. In any case, nothing is permanent on this web site. Content and protocols change as the needs of our members change. For now we will just see how the seeds grow.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 19:29

Thanks Dennis!

Everyone appreciates all you do, and your web site is the greatest too!

I have several articles, none written yet, that I've been procrastinating about.
It's time to put pen to paper and get them done, so others may benefit from them.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 23 Aug 2012, 12:04

Most of the topics I've thought about addressing have numerous web sites devoted to them already.
If anyone has a topic they have not found and are curious about, if I know about it, I'll be glad to share.
TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 26 Aug 2012, 15:24

Google is easy enough to use, but that defeats the purpose of a blog. You have your own personal web space so that you can give us your insights and relate experiences from your point of view. If we want to know what somebody else thinks, then by all means a search of the databanks outside of our forums would be appropriate. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 26 Aug 2012, 21:39

Point well taken Yogi!

However, I didn't want to bore folks with things that everyone has their own opinion about.

I work on the inside, for a publisher, and it's a whole different world in there than on the outside.
Most of which would not apply to an indie author, or even a published author.

That being said, knowing how they come up with those in-house books can be helpful to some.
I just need an angle or topic to address that someone might be interested in.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 28 Aug 2012, 07:00

Rambling on about what you like and don't like is acceptable in a blog. It's a given that your readers will have their own opinions, but they would not be reading this if they did not want to expand their horizons. The personal touch is what makes your articles special. On the other hand, we have a professional nurse and a veterinary technician who contribute not only their personal takes on their careers, but also their professional expertise. You are doing much the same, and it's all welcome and consistent with our mission here. I know what you mean by needing some inspiration from your readers, but a bit of ranting and self-promotion is not out of line either. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 28 Aug 2012, 09:59

Since you mentioned it, I do have something I don't like!
Indie Authors and Indie Publishers telling folks to go window shopping at Brick n Mortar Bookstores, then buy on-line to get a better deal!
To me it's akin to saying, look at the fruit at your local grocery store, then go buy from the orchard they came from.
You've probably spent more on fuel or consumed more of your time, than you saved monetarily.
Supporting your local business, especially if you make use of their services, what goes around comes around!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 29 Aug 2012, 07:07

Pay the higher bookstore price, or get something sight unseen that you may not want - and pay for shipping it twice if you need to send it back. It would be nice if the brick and mortar shops could match the online deals, but the landlords DO need to be paid.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Gary's Writing Tips