Global Freezing

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Global Freezing

Postby AJRC » 29 Oct 2011, 11:20

Just been on a far right wing blog and seen the funniest thing. Mind you i have seen it from the loonies before, they all sound the same. But it's always funny.

A right wing extremist from Pennsylvania claimed that global warming was just Liberal lies because his state is in the middle of a snow storm. Not sure if it was a Liberal or a true conservative asked the loony what he thought of the weather in Australia where it's 33°C, did he think that proved global warming was true. All he received were innuendos and personal attacks.

Why do loonies on one hand think snow means no global warming, but on the other don't think heat means there is global warming. I just don't understand their logic. Then again who does?

But they're always good for a laugh. Stupid is always funny. :lmao4:
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Global Freezing

Postby Yogi » 03 Nov 2011, 12:36

I would reiterate that if you think the solution is simple, then you don't understand the problem. Denying global warming is occurring is the simple solution. As you may also know, it's an ultra conservative quirk having to do with the United States being told how to spend it's resources by foreign powers - can you say Kyoto Accords? The true patriotic American cannot fathom the possibility that his country might be in need of changing its ways. That is because change is a liberal idea and staying fixed in one position (roughly 200 years back) is a conservative idea. It's all pretty easy to understand if you know the fundamentals.

Is it laughable? Both sides of the argument are laughing. That is a sad situation because nothing constructive comes out of name calling. Unfortunately global warming is not a clear cut phenomena. There is conflicting and corrupt data used by both sides of the argument. I'm pretty sure we in the Chicago area have been experiencing cooler weather on the average over the past several years, and I suppose the Right Wingnuts here are saying "I told you so." But, I have friends in Texas, some 700 miles south of here, where it has not rained in 5 months, there are dust storms never seen before, and a large part of the state on fire due to the dry hot conditions. Nobody down there is saying we are headed into a mini ice age, and Texas is the heart of extreme conservatism.

One thing is certain, historical data notwithstanding. The weather patterns are changing and the south Pacific is heating up as it never has before. Could be something other than global warming, but I can't make myself laugh at the people who are stupid.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 03 Nov 2011, 14:46

The problem is that while global warming stays mired in political agenda it will never be solved. Why should saving the world we live in be reduced to something as pathetic as what side of the fence you sit on, have we become that inhuman? Yes, big corporations (conservatives friends) want to pollute with impunity and say any reduction in their pollution would eat into the billions they make in profit. My heart bleeds for them. Yes, ok it does cost money to be green. But isn't the planet more important than profit? Don't answer that one, i already know the horrible answer!

Britain is not the hottest place on Earth, but over the last few years we've had record heat waves just about every summer, and pretty mild (for us) winters. Something is happening and whatever it is its accelerating.

I have to laugh at stupid, if i didn't i'd end up screaming.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 03 Nov 2011, 19:03

You may want to read this article to get the current thinking on global warming:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

Basically the United States, China, and India have contributed much more to the increase in greenhouse gasses than the rest of the world combined. And, speaking of reasons why that might be true in this country, I quote:
But Reilly and University of Victoria climate scientist Andrew Weaver found something good in recent emissions figures. The developed countries that ratified the 1997 Kyoto Protocol greenhouse gas limiting treaty have reduced their emissions overall since then and have achieved their goals of cutting emissions to about 8 percent below 1990 levels. The U.S. did not ratify the agreement.

Guess which political party was in power when that agreement came up for a vote.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 04 Nov 2011, 09:08

That's the main sticking point, is global warming a natural phenomenon or is it man made? You'll find the more right wing the less they think it's man made, simply because they know it'll cost money to put right. As you say the GOP were in power when the Kyoto agreement was signed by other nations, but Dubya being in the back pocket of the corporations that polluted the most, declined. I remember the loonies on CereScape jumping up and down with glee that the Kyoto agreement would cost other nations dearly but not the US. Little did they know Dubya would bankrupt the nation anyway.

The far right has stopped believing in any kind of global warming, man made or otherwise. I remember stan saying the ice caps aren't melting because the tide comes up to the same point on the beach as it did 20 years ago. And that's the kind of mentality you have to contend with when dealing with any mention of global warming.

As i said as long as this stays a political agenda issue nothing will be done. It's only when things get so bad even the loonies can't deny it that something will be done, and by then it may be too late. Talk about burying your head in the sand. :roll:
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Political Issues