dandy is "highly aggressive"!???

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

dandy is "highly aggressive"!???

Postby threenorns » 07 Jul 2011, 06:44

okay, vet-techie or otherwise knowledgeable dog types out there:

took dandy to the park today. he was okay, barring an embarrassing loss of control when we decided enough was enough, time to get his ass into the water. another dog showed up, sporting a halti AND a muzzle, dragging both owners across the park. he's a great pyrenees/samoyed/standard poodle mix - gorgeous but aggressive, required to wear the muzzle out of the house.

so i brought dandy over (they live the next block over and the dog's big mouth gets on my nerves) and dandy was very very still and contained. i trust his judgement so i just talked to the owner - you know who i mean, mom: the woman we boug...ht the chair off? the one who said there is nothing wrong with saari, she was just born without the genetic coding to speak english?. the dogs relaxed and dandy went into his usual shtick, part of which involves sniffing ears.

well, the woman yanked her dog back (i should note he immediately became aggressive again) and informs me that my dog is "highly aggressive" - sniffing ears is a "highly aggressive" move because in a fight, that's the first thing the dogs go for, the ears. i said i didn't think so and explained dandy's sniffing routine. oh, well... i swear she turned pale: apparently sniffing the feet is nothing to do with being a dog with a shoe fetish and everything to do with an urge to hamstring his prey; sniffing bellybuttons is because wolves gut their prey (while still alive - forgot to mention that little tidbit elsewhere); sniffing the neck? that's the carotid.

she almost had me going until i thought "wait a minute, lady - MY dog isn't the one court-ordered to wear a muzzle in public!!!!"

but... there really isn't any truth to that, right?
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: dandy is "highly aggressive"!???

Postby kg » 09 Jul 2011, 01:23

You know, I'm no expert on canine behavior, but I think that lady is either daft or has been taking advice from someone who is daft! With any dog I've seen which is engaging in aggressive behavior, there is no sniffing involved...any idiot could tell the dog is agitated. And the comments on Saari? What more proof do you need concerning her veracity? She's an idiot! :crazy:

You, as the owner of the dog, can tell aggressive behavior from curiosity. There is no "one size fits all" behavior which indicates a dog has a problem. If her dog has a problem with aggressiveness, it is likely to be owner-initiated (of course, I think you already instinctually realize that). My thought is that the lady has created a Frankenstein and doesn't realize it was her that did it.

My advice (FWIW) is, when you see this lady out with her dog, avoid her and go elsewhere, or wait until she is gone. Perhaps her dog's "aggressive" when sniffing ears (and I'll still bet she initiated the behavior), but she doesn't know your dog...you do! It's rather obvious to me that she (and perhaps her dog) has some issues, but you shouldn't submit to her (rather dubious) advice and observations. You know your dog better than she.

I wonder what she thinks about dogs sniffing each other's butts... :shock:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby threenorns » 09 Jul 2011, 01:53

oh, well, you know, the butt is the base of the tail and dogs will instinctively bite the tail in an attempt to paralyze their prey, no doubt.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 09 Jul 2011, 11:29

LOL! That, or perhaps become aggressive in another "manner"? :lol:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby vettechie » 10 Jul 2011, 19:55

That lady is full of it!! Thanks for giving me a laugh!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 10 Jul 2011, 20:01

my question is: WHY do you keep talking to these people?

???????

. :crazy:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2011, 00:33

cause they make me feel so sane and normal.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jul 2011, 01:47

really? i'd have thought it took more than that...? :think:

:lmao1:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2011, 22:24

tells you how bonkers she is. she's better than a Hare family reunion!
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Jul 2011, 23:15

:lmao4:

as for dandhy and aggression, you need one of those signs saying:

dog's ok. beware the owner!

:lmao1:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin