Poorly Dog

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Poorly Dog

Postby NoMercy » 28 Apr 2010, 17:16

Alf's four and a half and usually full of the joys of spring. He's been sick today and it would appear he's eaten quite a substantial amount of grass. He's off his food and has turned his nose up at all his favourite treats. He's still taking water, but he's listless and down in the dumps. Also, his breath is quite smelly, which is most unusual for him. Should I be worried? :vrysad:
NoMercy

Re: Poorly Dog

Postby pilvikki » 30 Apr 2010, 00:57

yes!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby vettechie » 30 Apr 2010, 21:54

will he eat some boiled hamburger or chicken and white rice? this will settle the stomach. You can try yogurt too. if this doesnt get him to eat and perk up, take him to the vet. Grass eating can cause vomiting and diarrhea so watch out!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Apr 2010, 22:19

a dog with diarrhea.... :o
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby NoMercy » 30 Apr 2010, 23:56

After first posting my query, Alf went downhill rapidly. He had diarrhoea which contained a lot of blood, so we rushed him to the vets. She used a cotton bud to check his bowels, and it was covered in blood. Her opinion was that he'd ingested something toxic and it caused severe inflammation from the stomach right down to the bowels. She hooked him up to a drip and gave him a number of injections and a bag of metronidazole and sent him home to rest. We took him back yesterday morning to get the verdict, and she gave him more injections and metronidazole. He's got a course of Metronidazole to take now, and thankfully he's on the mend. I was terribly upset at the vets when she showed me the blood, and I feared the worst for my little mischief maker. He finally got to eat something last night, and it was great to see his usual voracious appetite back to normal. Rule of thumb with Alf... if he's off his food... PANIC !

Thanks for the replies :love:
NoMercy

Postby pilvikki » 01 May 2010, 18:36

do use the meat/rice combo for him for a while. at least it ain't gonna hurt him!

poor baby...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby NoMercy » 03 May 2010, 11:49

Thanks, Vikki. His appetite has been restored to its former glory and he's been wolfing down some scrambled eggs every morning. When it comes to "scramblies", he eats so fast that he barely even tastes them - ideal for concealing his yukky tablets. ;)
NoMercy

Postby pilvikki » 03 May 2010, 21:52

i use 'pill pockets' for my mutts; they're perfect for whatever poison they have to take. still, if the eggs work... so much the better!

oh, does that not promote doggie farts?

:shock:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby NoMercy » 04 May 2010, 01:58

Not that I've noticed, Vikki. However, when he first had the treatment and began to recover, he was letting off some rather toxic farts. We had to walk out of the house a couple of times. Even he got up and walked out on one occasion ! :lmao4:
NoMercy

Postby pilvikki » 04 May 2010, 11:53

we had an OLD dog that did that. eventually we knew that if she suddenly got up, we ought to do likewise... or we may not be able to...

:o
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician