the death of relatives

Topics related to family life.

the death of relatives

Postby imbizze » 18 Mar 2009, 13:30

I received news recently that one of my uncles has died of cancer. I adored this particular uncle when I was a child. He was just 11 years older than I. He came from a family of 8 kids, but he and one other uncle were a big part of my life. Then, when my parents divorced, when I was about 14, I lost contact with that side of the family. I had not seen either of those two uncles again until just last year when my dad died. I saw them at his funeral. One uncle looked pretty much the same, the other I hardly recognized becaue he was pretty emaciated from a long run with cancer. He was in great pain at that time. I was so happy to see them both. Now the one with cancer is gone. So many years had gone by......

Why is it we don't really think about the impact others have had on our lives until they die and we kind of run through all of the years worth of memories of them? My uncle's death has brought to mind so many great times and lots of fun. I had not given him a thought for so many years.

We waste a lot of time, people! I really think we need to make an effort to really stay in touch with and appreciate the people in our lives before they ( or WE!) are gone.

When you lose someone, do you also recall moments with them that you had not thought of in years? It's funny how the mind works. :think:
imbizze

Re: the death of relatives

Postby pilvikki » 19 Mar 2009, 16:57

apart from my netbuddies i have not lost anyone i was closed to in a while. but the odd thing is that i keep forgetting that they really and truly are dead and gone. permanently. even those i hadn't seen in years.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby kooliokitty » 23 Mar 2009, 10:19

I know how you feel I have had most of my older family member dies, my great grandparents from both sides, my dad's mom and mom's dad, my great aunts, my dad's younger sister and brother, my grandma's sister, and her daughter, my cousin jonny, and my best friend Josh. I have dealt with many deaths in my family adn have been to several funerals, they are so sad and depressing, I hate death. I wish we could live forever sometimes, it seems so scary to die. I do not like pain. I hope when my time comes that I die in my sleep, all peaceful.

~Sarah :)
    kooliokitty

Postby pilvikki » 23 Mar 2009, 20:11

i so dislike funerals that i'd like mine to be by proxy....
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 27 Mar 2009, 09:37

Oh! This has happened to me more times than I care to remember...all the times I'd seen friends/family/loved ones at funerals and having conversations to this effect: "Oh, it's been lovely to see you again, and we MUST get together under happier circumstances." And, for awhile, perhaps, we stay in contact, only to eventually become so absorbed in our own lives and day-to-day problems that we don't see one another again until the NEXT funeral that pops up. Yes, we do waste an awful lot of time, and yes, we do have a most unfortunate tendency to take our friends and loved ones for granted. Which reminds me -- I have an aunt with whom I haven't spoken for almost two or three months -- perhaps it might be a good thing for me to give her a call TODAY before I forget, once again, to "reach out" and make contact with her...
    brandtrn
    Advanced Degree Poster
    Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Family Relations