What’s your role in the family?

Topics related to family life.

What’s your role in the family?

Postby Sandra » 08 Apr 2008, 05:46

Everyone has their place and a role in the family, either one that they have chosen for themselves or one that has been chosen for them. Me I'm an all rounder; friend, enemy, agony aunt, helper, listener, problem solver etc.... Where do you fit in?
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: What’s your role in the family?

Postby imbizze » 08 Apr 2008, 07:46

I am the support, the organizer of life's details, the one who keeps the home running, the cars maintained, the pet and kids cared for. I pretty much do everything but earn the money to keep us afloat. I think I just may be the glue that holds us all together. Yes, I really think so.
imbizze

Postby Yogi » 08 Apr 2008, 13:00

I'm the guy who takes the trash out to the curb to be picked up every week, and the person who makes fresh coffee for breakfast.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby G5Pontiac » 08 Apr 2008, 15:41

Everyone in the family comes to me to solve their problems, except my son usually does not. But, he's 52 and a little old to bring problems to me.

He has enough with his own grown kids. Lately, I've had to solve a lot of problems in the family, and I'm getting too old and too tired to bear up under it all. I told my son that he was soon going to be the Alpha Male and run the family. He hadn't considered that, so he looked shocked at the idea. :yikes: It's like I had said, "Alright it's all yours from here on out." :grin:
G5Pontiac

Postby ClaireDU » 08 Apr 2008, 19:37

When my husband was alive the only things he was called on to do were anything that required physical strength all else was my responsibility.

Now I am alone and anything which requires physical strength I call on a handyman and pay for it.

When my sons left home they were expected to assume the responsibilities which they did. Both my sons left home to get married over a period of five months.

You work out what my "role" was and is. I can't. :roll:
ClaireDU

Postby meadow » 08 Apr 2008, 23:25

i'm considered the "black sheep" because i refuse to conform to what my family seems to think they should expect from me. but i'm only the black sheep in that sense since i've never been in trouble with the law, men or drugs. i ain't that kind of black sheep. i'm the bitchy, snotty sister/cousin/niece who calls people out on their s hit when it's necessary. mostly that occurs when my family tries to bully me into being like them...all the kids, marriage, family bullshit. i ain't that.

my mom was definitely the glue that held us together. she was the emotional glue because she demanded we take care of our s hit once we got old enough. but she was always our biggest emotional supporter and cheerleader. my sister is considered the 'good sister' even though she's got two kids outta wedlock and lived at home forever. *LOL* it's cause she's "nice" and doesn't like to rock the boat.

i like to tip that s hit over every chance i get.
meadow

Postby Silke » 09 Apr 2008, 15:46

anyones roles are always changeing.
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby mamie » 10 Apr 2008, 08:17

When I think of family, I think of immediate family, which right now is just my husband and myself. For that relationship, I'd call myself "full partner" - spiritually and legally we are bound together, actually we are a corporation. It works well.

When the kids were still at home, it was pretty much the same - we were both nurturers. Now that both kids live apart from us we play somewhat different roles - our daughter still likes to keep us apprised of what's going on and needs praise occasionally. Our son still tells us nothing of what he is doing, but does check in from time to time. We never interfere.

When I was growing up in my parents home, I was the oldest child, the leader and many times the ripple on smooth waters. I pretty much did what I wanted - fortunately, it all worked out well.
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby meadow » 10 Apr 2008, 17:29

my role in my family has been exactly the same as long as i can remember. at least a good 30 years. i don't remember a time where i wasn't really outspoken or confrontational. my role hasn't changed, just my age and how i sometimes choose to react to it. otherwise, i'm the same person i've been since about kindergarten!
meadow

Postby StVandal » 10 Apr 2008, 19:39

I'm definitely the black sheep (didn't see that coming, didja?) of the family. My siblings' kids think i'm pretty cool, though.. lol.. (and no, i'm not a bad influence!)
StVandal

Postby pilvikki » 10 Apr 2008, 20:15

funny, i didn't think there was anything sheeplike about either you or meadow.

:P
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Silke » 11 Apr 2008, 04:10

never stop learning, do we, pilvikki ;)
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Apr 2008, 06:38

:dance:

as for my role in this family: The Great Nana!

yeah, right....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby meadow » 11 Apr 2008, 19:58

yeah, it's society's term for those of us who prefer to live our lives for ourselves and against the accepted grain, i guess. i think it sounds f*****g stupid myself. i'm just me.
meadow

Postby Silke » 12 Apr 2008, 04:45

/irony

and here I thought sheeps just follow the crouds... why, was I ever dissapointed... *sigh*

/end irony
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Apr 2008, 16:25

i was trying to be funny, meadow.

:P
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby meadow » 12 Apr 2008, 17:35

erm...DUH...i knew that. which is why i said what i did.

[pssst! btw, what you did there, Silke, that's not actually IRONY. but whatever. lol]
meadow

Postby Silke » 13 Apr 2008, 05:37

i·ro·ny1 Audio Help /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -nies.
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
2. Literature.
a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
3. Socratic irony.
4. dramatic irony.
5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
6. the incongruity of this.
7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

I would say it were. Of course, hard to tell without the sound of voice to convey that it was, in reallity, not meant as it was written.
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kmiotek » 02 May 2008, 08:46

I'm the Dad which means taxi driver, walking wallet/cash machine, shoulder to cry on, soft touch........the list is endless. :grin:
Kmiotek

Return to Family Relations