Overalls at a funeral

Topics related to family life.

Overalls at a funeral

Postby Bedford » 31 Aug 2014, 19:41

I went to my Uncle Jim's funeral yesterday. My father went to his brother's funeral wearing overalls.

Imagine an elderly Larry the Cable Guy who served as a Marine in Vietnam...that's my dad. *sigh*
Bedford
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Overalls at a funeral

Postby Yogi » 01 Sep 2014, 06:23

I guess for most folks funerals are necessary for closure. They are for the living, after all. So your dad's not bothered by convention, and I'm sure your dad stood out from the crowd. But is that wrong? I think not.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Sep 2014, 14:12

I kind of agree with that.

When my grandma and grandad died, their wishes were that no one should be sad (very difficult not to be), but everyone tried their best to stay upbeat.

Grandma insisted that no black was worn, and she didn't want flowers because she said they were meant to grow, not left to rot.

Grandad wanted everyone at his wake to remember the good and funny times. He also stipulated that people dress comfortably and brought some colour to the occasion.

The main thing is, that people turn up to pay their respects. We come into the world naked, and, apart from burial attire, we go out the same way. In between, it doesn't really matter. I bet your uncle would've smiled at his brother or not worried at all.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Bedford » 12 Sep 2014, 00:40

Trust me, I am sure Uncle Jim was not surprised. I have a lot of rednecks on that side of the family. :D
Bedford
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Sep 2014, 17:12

Keeps life interesting, Bedford! Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same? At least your father attended the funeral, and what he wore was irrelevant really.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Family Relations