Protecting Your Daughter

Topics related to family life.

Protecting Your Daughter

Postby Yogi » 03 Dec 2007, 11:15

How far would you go to protect your daughter from marrying who you thought was the wrong man? Would you kidnap her to stop the wedding? These people did. http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/245590/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Protecting Your Daughter

Postby brandtrn » 03 Dec 2007, 11:27

WOW!! That's more than a bit extreme...I would agree that these people have some serious issues going on. As much as I love my children, and as much as I'd hate it it they chose a partner whom I didn't feel was right for them, for whatever reason, I honestly believe that adults need to be able to make their OWN choices, and take responsibility for them...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby threenorns » 03 Dec 2007, 11:49

er.... lemme get this straight: the *parents* were worried about controlling behaviour on the part of her fiance, so they *kidnapped* her when she refused to follow their wishes and cancel the wedding!?

this sounds like a bloody custody battle, if anything - i think the parents need to look at their own controlling behaviour.

nik did marry someone i really wish she hadn't - i didn't think he was good for her and i still don't. but i'm not rude to the guy, i treat him respectfully even when his very presence gives me a mental wedgie, and when she needs me, i'll still be here.

duh.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 03 Dec 2007, 15:46

brigham young....?

oh dear....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Flogo » 03 Dec 2007, 19:10

Wow, those parents were definitely on the over protective side, yes?
I don't know - the young lady was 21 - let's hope that all goes well for everyone concerned from here on out.
Flogo
Bawdy ol' Broad
Bawdy ol' Broad

Postby StVandal » 05 Dec 2007, 02:56

threenorns wrote:er.... lemme get this straight: the *parents* were worried about controlling behaviour on the part of her fiance, so they *kidnapped* her when she refused to follow their wishes and cancel the wedding!?

LOL.. that's exactly what I was thinking. :grin:
StVandal

Postby Linda » 13 Dec 2007, 12:16

When Heather wanted to get married, we supported her even though we didn't think Sean was right for her. She tried for ten years to make it work knowing that it had fallen apart long before that. When she met someone who actually cared for her she realized that she had to end the farce she called a marriage. It took her time, but she is now happier than I've seen her in years.
Linda
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby ladypatg » 25 Dec 2007, 02:01

Kidnapping? That's a bit much. Unless I knew for certain he was harming her (can't read the article - site is down) and she needed to physically be away from him or he'd hurt her more, I think she'd have to make her own mistakes. If I'd seen evidence of abuse though I'd try to take her away for counselling. Then, whatever she decided would be up to her. But, at 21 she is a legal adult and a parent has no right to detain her in any way. It's illegal.
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby G5Pontiac » 10 Jan 2008, 01:13

The mistakes that grown children make harm their parents whether the person is of age or not. Also, they bring the fruits of their mistakes home after the bottom drops out. If the parents had reason to believe that the young man is criminal, abusive, a punk, a gang banger, or any other kind of dead beat, then they were right. Because, like I said, when the bottom drops out, the parents have to be there to pick up the pieces, pay the bills, and put up with the bull crap.

I've been there and done that, more than once. My family kept it secret from me that my oldest daughter was married to an abuser that beat her physically, and mentally. She lived a long way away; and had I known, law or no law I would have killed the son of a bitch. But, even that doesn't solve anything, because some people run to shit; and if you kill one, they will just go out and get another one. Some women are drawn to bums like bugs to the light bulb. Fortunately, after two failed marriages, where she married bums, she finally has a nice guy, and I love him like my own son.

Having said all this, it is foolish to judge the person your daughter marries, unless he is a mean and rotten bastard of some kind. Common character flaws, religion, or ethnicity, is her business, not your's. Parents must bite their tongues and grit their teeth; that's the ways of the world.
G5Pontiac

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jan 2008, 21:36

yeah, if they only understood what we do having learned a lot in the school of hard knocks.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Family Relations