How to handle...

Topics related to family life.

How to handle...

Postby bermbits » 27 Oct 2011, 13:31

Family matters are often a tricky issue - to say something is often to start something, so a lot goes unsaid (much of the time, it isn't worth it). Anyhow, there are these people (wife's side) who constantly send e-mails that are anti-Obama, anti-liberal. That's not the issue. While not an Obama fan, I do take issue with the fact that they check nothing re: its truthfulness. It's like the big-lie technique where if you tell a lie big enough and often enough, it takes on a life of its own. I used to send back a Snopes' link, but now I don't bother.

I received two such e-mails today: one saying how Target stores are anti-veteran blah, blah, blah, and the other a piece of glurge about how Harvard turned a shabby couple away who went on to found Stanford University. I was tempted to send them back asking if they found these on Fox News (a reference to the biased, agenda-ed "news" network), but I didn't. So, should I just continue to glance at and delete what they usually send, tell them to remove me from their address book, or something in between? I think I know what I will do, but I wanted to get some input before doing anything.

Thanks for your thoughts.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 27 Oct 2011, 14:00

If you are sure you don't want to hear from them ever, most e-mail programs have a spam filter. Simply list their e-mail address as spam and you will never see it in your INBOX again. The problem with that solution, however, is when they send you some legitimate mail. That will get filtered too.

I'm guessing you are getting what most all of us get, i.e., e-mail spam that is being forwarded without any thought. My suggestion would be to write back to them and ask not to be sent any more forwarded e-mail of any kind. If they make an effort to compose the content themselves, then it may actually be worth reading. But, 99.9% of all that hate mail is forwarded. If they comply, then your problem will be solved without hurting their feelings. If they don't comply, then it's time to learn how the e-mail filters work. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: How to handle...

Postby pilvikki » 03 Nov 2011, 16:25

well, from experience i know that it makes no difference what you tell certain people; after all they're EDUCATING you! i get the same obama crap - some really nasty - and really, i'm in canada folks! i get all kinds of scare stuff, like, hm... remember the KFC mutant boneless chickens? :lmao4:

mind you, snoping and sending it back sometimes helps. [stan now asks me to check stuff out for him, lol!]

i got motivational crap up the yin-yan and the best one was from someone who sent an email admonishing the population at large to remember that it only take a minute or two to get in contact with people. so don't be so as selfish as to not bother, it'll make the world of difference, yadda-yadda. god bless etc. totally condescending, you know the tone...

this from a person who did not answer her phone, nor called me back [she was home!]. i actually had a serious problem i foolishly thought she'd be happy to help me out with, considering her expertise in the field.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

so, what did you do, berm? :dance:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Family Relations