Argument with The Git.

Topics related to family life.

Argument with The Git.

Postby MWB » 17 Mar 2011, 16:45

As most of you know, "The Git" is my mothers husband, so he's my stepfather. And that we don't get along.

Anyhoo, we had an argument the other week. I was visiting & he was just spoiling for a fight, as when I suggested to Mum something about the colour scheme of the bathroom they're remodeling - he pounced.

"Stop telling us what to do with our house, why don't you just go away & leave us be?"

Ok, I should have let that go, but I didn't. So I launched in with things like, "No wonder your 3 sons have nothing to do with you" & "You're a nasty, malicious, idiot."

Not good, not good at all. Poor ole Mum caught in the middle.

Anyway, I left after 2 minutes of this & on my way out he said, "Don't you ever come back here because if you do, I'll call the police - I married your mother, not you!"

Suffice to say I haven't been back. Not that he would call the police, I know that was heat of the moment talk, but I just can't stand the way Mum's always stressed when I'm there. She walks on eggshells & tells me not to say anything. Mum says he's alright when it's just the 2 of them but whenever anyone else visits, she starts stressing as he wants Mum to himself.

It's horrible.
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Re: Argument with The Git.

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Mar 2011, 22:35

I think the answer's not to get confrontational Claire. If you or anyone else has an opinion or suggestion - i.e. about the bathroom - it'd be better to say these things in your mum's hearing only, and let HER produce these ideas to him as if they were her own. Then he might agree with it! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Pet » 18 Mar 2011, 02:46

I feel for you, Claire. My mom would feel stressed when I would come over and visit with her and my dad (who is now deceased). My dad would say something loutish and I'd be on it in a flash. I'd get so worked up that I would start packing my suitcase to leave, all the while telling him what I thought of him. My poor mom would almost cry. I'd settle myself down for her sake, but not for his. He passed on in 1998, and neither of us miss him.
Pet

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Mar 2011, 19:26

It must be awful to have an atmosphere like the ones you've both described, but if I'd been in the same situation - for my mother's sake, I'd have bitten my lip.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 14 Apr 2011, 22:51

for my mother's sake, I'd have bitten my lip.

yes, i see your point. still i disagree, for HE is allowed to act like an ass - and that's just ok?

hell no, it isn't!

claire was there first, she is her mother's daughter and just because ma married him for some weird reason doesn't give him a right to be abusive to his wife. because that's what it is, emotional battery, pure and simple.

he's a control freak and a bully.

and how much do you want to bet that he's NOT ok when claire's not there, but mother doesn't want to tell anyone, lest it causes even more grief to her.

i am so not amused.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Apr 2011, 08:41

Yes, there's that way of looking at it as well, but only her mum can decide whether to get rid/walk out, or put up with it. Seeing your daughter argue with your husband must be upsetting as it is. It seems a rotten situation, and I'm not blaming Claire for saying what she thinks - but it's her mum she needs to speak to, and have a private woman-to-woman chat with.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Family Relations