damn flu!

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

damn flu!

Postby pilvikki » 25 Oct 2014, 17:01

it seems to have hit people quite randomly and poor squeaki got broadsided: a fever of pretty well even 40 C - 104 F since Monday! icy knows all about that and so does ladypat, who also has been sick for weeks.

she's gotten amoxicillin and still the fever rages. i'm pushing liquids as much as she can handle. it goes down a bit with meds, then climbs back up again. I've even been waking her up at night when I've seen her just about glowing. she has a ghastly cough and it all's starting to take a toll, she's tired and doesn't want to eat at all.

tonight, after failed attempts to get her to eat different soups punkin prepared, I sat her down and spoon-fed her a mashed banana. I told her she'd better start eating something or she'll end up in the hospital and she won't enjoy that. I think it worked...

i'm hoping the fever's broken tonight for she went to sleep and then started to sweat so much that I had to dry her off and rewrap her.

so, be careful out there...

:love:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: damn flu!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Oct 2014, 18:52

Here's hoping that squeaki's fever breaks, and that she'll soon start to feel better, but you can't rush flu. It's not just a common cold bug.

Over there, it sounds as though you're having a similar strain to what we're getting in the UK, and it's been a nasty one this year. It's putting adults to bed for a week minimum. A friend of ours went dizzy on his way to work, so went straight home and stayed in bed for 8 days. He hadn't the energy to get up for longer than half an hour at a time, and felt too ill to eat. He's now on his feet again, but still doesn't feel right.

Mine's been 3 weeks now. I expect it to linger, because my resistance's down, but every day I'm hoping to feel better, I start to shiver again and show other symptoms. My cough's not so bad now, but it takes all the life out of you. : (

Hope no one else in your household gets it. It's a monster. x
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2014, 05:01

well, her fever broke last night, but unfortunately fixed itself by morning... :(

but at least the meds are finally taking the fever right down, rather than just knocking off a couple of points, if that, like previously.

she looks like death warmed over and has strict orders to stay put.

poor wee lamb.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Oct 2014, 17:34

Indeed.

Plenty of rest, good food, drinks and meds if necessary. It's all you can do - except for keeping her warm and giving her a few cuddles. x

Sorry to hear that Pat's been down with something as well. It seems that you're lucky if you escape it, atm. : (
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2014, 18:57

the worst part is not keeping her warm when the fever peaks; it's like torturing the poor soul... :vrysad:
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Oct 2014, 19:29

Ah, but isn't that what you're supposed to do? I was told to sponge the head down with tepid water, but keep the rest of the body warm - to sweat the fever out?
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Oct 2014, 17:53

it seems the directions change as soon as you start using the new "improved" method. meanwhile, I've never have had any of my kids with a fever lasting this long, yet according the web it's also normal.

weird.

and the coughing! it hurts to listen to!

there went her 2 weeks off school, and Saxon's too as we've not gone anywhere at all.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Oct 2014, 19:51

Is it half term over there? If so, at least most of this's been during a holiday period, so the school can't moan too much, but I wouldn't worry about not having gone out anywhere. It's not too good for Saxon, but you can't expect squeaki to've gone out when she's been like this, poor kid.

You're right - fevers often go way before now, but if squeaki's got/had flu, it takes longer than 2-3 days to shift. People often say they've got flu when it's just a stinking cold, but flu itself can be very nasty, and it sounds more that way to me.

Can you buy Benylin cough mixture over there? Tastes foul, but it's always worked on ours when they've had persistent coughs. One sort's for taking at night, because it knocks people out, but both work well. I hope squeaki manages to keep her fever down tonight. x
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 29 Oct 2014, 17:35

still going up over 39... like, wth is going on? I could understand if we were ill as well, but just her? seems odd. she's still coughing like crazy, but it sounds better and is loosening something up rather than the dry rasp that she had at first.

poor wee bunny.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Oct 2014, 18:15

Bless her heart. I hope she'll start to feel better in the next few days.

My own cough's back - with a vengeance. I've been hacking all day. : (
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Oct 2014, 07:19

saxon has now joined the hack-attacks... oddly enough, only at night though...

yep, this is getting odder and odder.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Nov 2014, 21:01

These particular bugs aren't disappearing quickly, so bear with it and just do what you'd normally do for the coughs. A junior expectorant could help squeaki and Saxon's cough to loosen, and then once it does, it'll start to go. x
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Return to Health