Streaming eyes

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

Streaming eyes

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Oct 2014, 19:49

With the flu I've got, my eyes keep watering. Nothing wrong with my eyesight, so are there any drops or something which I could use to stop it?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Streaming eyes

Postby pilvikki » 23 Oct 2014, 13:39

all kind, amiga! just ask the pharmacist! it could be allergies or - ironically - dry eyes. dry eyes still water like crazy, but the they lack the proper lubrication, so get more and more irritated the more they run.

once your flu's gone they should go back to normal.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Oct 2014, 15:02

Thank you! I've just had a thought. Wonder if it's just coincidental that the watery eyes've come on with the flu? I've still got lots of flowers in the house, including lilies. I love them, but must have an allergy to their pollen because they make me sneeze at the best of times, so ... I agree with you. The best thing's to ask in the chemist's. I didn't even think of that!! : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Oct 2014, 16:21

they often know way more than the doc. :dance:
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Oct 2014, 17:57

That's very true. That's what they're specifically trained in, for dispensing purposes, but I don't know about yours over there. Here, unless something's out on the shelf which you can pick up yourself, as soon as you ask for something, you have to go through a whole rigmarole - are you on other medication? Have you used/taken this before? Any allergies? How long've you had ... whatever ailment.

Honestly, I went in and simply asked if they could suggest a bottle of something which'd ease my coughing at night. I might as well've been asking for a controlled drug! The questioning was ridiculous for an over-the-counter product, and so much so, that an elderly woman in front of me who'd asked something similar and got the third degree, turned and walked out, muttering that it was more trouble than it was worth.

I appreciate that pharmacists have to check that there'd be no reaction with other meds, but then - a reaction could occur anyway, even if you're used to taking something. They're now taking over a lot of GP's work, which has its advantages in some cases, but not in others.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 24 Oct 2014, 07:25

really? good grief!

in Canada everything is in the computer, so the pharmacist simply looks up your file and goes down the list of your meds in use and then makes a 'ruling'. but only if you've asked. if you pick a cough syrup off the shelf, it's on you to figure it out.

I prefer to ask as it's often as bad as picking out a shampoo: did you want one for fine hair, or oily, curly, short, long, one that keeps the dye in, one that lightens it, one with UV protection, one for brittle, dandruff or lice, all-in-one, et ad nauseam.

:shock:
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Oct 2014, 14:34

Yes, sometimes it helps to ask about products, but not when you know what you want, you've had it before - and understand how the ingredients work.

At our little pharmacy, they have stuff like cough sweets and mouth ulcer gels, etc., but much of the other stuff, though visible's on shelves behind the counter. As soon as you ask for ... whatever ... they start asking questions, and if they deem something to have a side effect with anything else you're taking - nope, forget it.

You can get away with it by saying you're not currently taking any other medication, but if you go in regularly, they know, so there's no point.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 25 Oct 2014, 11:23

so, basically they're treating you like retards.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Oct 2014, 18:37

Trying to show their superiority, methinks, but they say it's to cut down on accidents, when people genuinely haven't known about interactions between some of the drug compounds or chemicals, and they've been rushed to hospital or even died.

Then you get those who deliberately buy a certain cough mixture, for example, knowing that if they take a large dose, they'll get high!

It's basically to stop this sort of thing - to help and to warn - but meanwhile, leaves some without the medication they wanted, or a long wait while they give you the blurb. : (
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2014, 05:04

there needs to be some common sense included! seriously. and don't they have a file on you they can just look up? so they'll know without the 20 questions?
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2014, 05:05

and other thing: where the confidentiality while you're listing everything your med cabinet holds in front of a store full of people waiting for their turn?
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Oct 2014, 17:59

I'm afraid that confidentiality doesn't come into it hun. You don't have to say what ailments you're being treated for, but when they ask you what meds you might be taking already, it doesn't matter how many people're in the shop - you have to say ... warfarin, Prozac .... whatever, blah blah, and it can be embarrassing to let others know that you might be taking something for thrush or that you're on sleeping pills/antidepressants.

Of course, you can take a list in for the pharmacist to scan though, but if you dob into the chemist's for something on the off-chance, or while you're thinking about it - how many people have a pre-written list to hand over?

Our pharmacies don't just give out prescriptions. You can buy soap, shampoos, hair preparations and accessories - all sorts, depending on the pharmacy concerned, so when you ask for something on a shelf behind the counter, you SOMETIMES get the pharmacist her/himself serving you, but usually it's just an assistant who isn't allowed to dispense, but they still ask what other meds you're taking, and depending on what you want to buy, they'll go and check with someone, who then comes out and proceeds to go through the why's and wherefore's!

In large pharmacies in major cities, such as Boots, they might hand over a tube of ointment for a rash on your arm, but the stuff they keep behind the counter's stronger, so checks're made that it's alright for you to buy whatever.

People on repeat prescriptions at their doctors, sometimes have it on the pharmacy computer, but in the usual way, you have to get the repeat prescription from your doctor's surgery, then take it in. This depends on the medication though, because repeats aren't given out permanently, so the doctor might want to see you to check that it's still OK for you to keep on whatever drugs.

Some stuff I get, can't be got from our local chemist's, only from the hospital pharmacy. If I was bed-bound and couldn't get in, then the hospital doctor'd write out the prescription, send it through, and the pharmacy'd deliver it to the door. The system's gradually being changed, so that more and more's done via computer, but it's in no way complete yet, and causes all sorts of problems for people.

They have
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2014, 18:55

pharmacies in Canada are like dept stores and one on every damned corner! at least 2 on every mall.

here you're lucky to a) find one and b) find it open.

you'd think a large mall would have them, but oh no, I only know of one in Carcassonne off hand and i'd not be able to find it if my life depended on it!

on the other hand, squeaki's penicillin and cough syrup cost a whopping 5 euros, while in Canada you'd shell out $12 each for dispensing, another 10 for the penicillin and maybe 20 for the cough syrup. so, around $50 for the 5 euros...

yeah, fine, i'll wait until they get back from lunch....
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Oct 2014, 19:27

Good grief - that's cheap in France!

Over here, each prescription costs £8. 05p. - about 10.22 euros. However, there could be several items on one prescription sheet, so it'd still cost you the basic amount.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Oct 2014, 17:55

it depends, on what you buy, but most of the run-of-the-mill stuff is pretty reasonable.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Oct 2014, 19:55

I've heard similar before, but never actually bought anything like that when I've been in France. The prices of stuff here're ridiculous. I bought a small tube of Zovirax cream when I had a cold sore, and for a puny little tube - 1-2 gm - it cost me over 9 euros.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 29 Oct 2014, 17:31

what does baffle me here is everything being packed into blister packs, which I hate. seems a heel of a lot of aluminum wasted on a sleeve of 7 capsules when you can stuff 50 into a small bottle...
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Oct 2014, 18:13

It's true, and I hate the things. Sometimes they're as tough as old boots to get open. : (
      Ice.Maiden
      Golden Poster
      Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Oct 2014, 07:22

and if you only need a ½, or in the case of paxil, a ¼, you then have to store the bits and pieces somehow in the broken foil pieces... (paxil does not come in a smaller amount and I refuse to take more than what I need.)

:doh:
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Nov 2014, 21:06

LOL - you're right. I have some puny little pills that're actually marked across them for those who need to take just half. Well first of all, have you ever tried breaking them ... assuming you can open the packet to get one out? The things're too small to snap between your fingers, and a knife or razor blade just leaves you with the one half, while the other's shot somewhere on the floor, blah blah!

IF you manage to grab the spare half tab, where do you keep it, as you say? Try and squash it back into the packet, and the foil's probably split or rolled up from where you tried to prize it out. Suppose you could put the bits into a spare pill container, but what if you mislay it? Duh.
      Ice.Maiden
      Golden Poster
      Golden Poster

Next

Return to Health