Statins

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

Statins

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Mar 2014, 10:36

Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Statins

Postby pilvikki » 06 Mar 2014, 18:05

oh my fekking god, let's not start on those! i was on crestor for almost a year and they just about killed me!

i was exhausted, confused, everything i owned hurt as if i'd been beaten, didn't sleep much and my legs/feet swelled up so i had to buy myself new shoes! i brought this up to my doctor several times but he just completely ignored me.

i finally thought of looking it up on the net, saw what was happening and pitched them.

end of.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Mar 2014, 20:17

You're another one who gets added to the list then. Almost everyone I've spoken to's got something bad to say about them.

A friend in Birmingham was put on them a while back. They made her feel terrible, but her GP said she hadn't given them long enough to give proper results. She decided to throw the lot of them out, and now feels absolutely fine. She dieted as well, and lost 8 lbs. Her cholesterol level's normal now.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Mar 2014, 15:33

damn pills are a nightmare...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Mar 2014, 16:56

Over here, doctors're being encouraged to dish MORE of them out! There seems to be a purge on "fatties", to save the cost of treatment for heart attacks later on. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 16 Mar 2014, 07:51

you know how hard it is to get a pill approved, they take years and are costly.

YET, every so often it turns out the pills are worse than the condition they're supposed to fix.

i mean, seriously...

:wtf:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Mar 2014, 09:21

Too right. It can take 10 years for a new pill to be licenced, so when they start showing adverse effects but have a glut of them, they're not going to ban them too quickly, are they?

Look at that lousy thalidomide drug. It's actually helpful in some cases of prostate cancer because it shrinks tumours. Sadly, it also effects foetuses, as we've all seen. So what do they do? The stuff's re-named and it's STILL on the market as an antidote for morning sickness in some countries. I don't know how they get away with that one, but when a drug's banned for certain uses, it can still be used because of the original licence. You just can't market it under the same name.
Last edited by Ice.Maiden on 18 Mar 2014, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 18 Mar 2014, 04:57

i saw that and it made my blood boil! yes, use it for shrinking tumours in guys, no problems, but for morning sickness??? that's how it all started!

idjots!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Mar 2014, 07:39

It seems blatantly obvious to me that a drug which induces tumour shrinkage's going to affect other things as well. Maybe not every person who took the drug ended up with drastic side effects, but many did. What surprised me, was to read that Canada's one of the countries that still allows thalidomide to be used for morning sickness, sold under a completely different name of course.

It must be horrible for women who suffer bad nausea and vomiting all day and every day, but I'm sure that a carefully-planned diet could help, without prescribing such vile drugs. In most cases "morning sickness" passes, as unpleasant as it can be. Not good for those who suffer it throughout the duration of their pregnancies, but whatever you take in the way of medicines goes into the baby's bloodstream as well. I suppose it seemed like a panacea for such women at the time, but these days - when folk're more clued-up??
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 06 Jan 2015, 14:48

My mum's taking statins and my sister asked the doctor if they could be harmful. The doc said they'd reduced her cholesterol so they're working so she has to still take them.

I'm not happy about this. I read on the internet that cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease and that cholesterol is necessary for proper functioning of all sorts of organs such as brain, liver and muscles. The drug inhibits the body from making the cholesterol it needs and that's why you get side effects. One chap blogged that statins stole his mind and that it's gradually coming back now that he's been off them a week.

I'm convinced that statins have caused my mum's very recent memory loss, and depression and her hernia.

Surely coming off the pills has to be worth a try but she's now been given antidepressants (also dodgy) and other pills for the stomach problems.

I am furious and feel impotent as I'm in Oxfordshire and my mum and sis ("The doctor knows more about it than we do.") are in Yorkshire.
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 06 Jan 2015, 19:11

that does not sound good... I think she needs a second opinion and not from her sister.

as for minds.... i'm still waiting for mine to return. :shifty:
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Jan 2015, 19:33

It's a problem Wonderbunny.

Too much "bad" cholesterol leads to fatty deposits in the arteries, so statins're given to reduce the level of this low- density lipoprotein. In other words, they work to reduce the amount of cholesterol that cells produce, but unfortunately cause some horrible side effects.

Simvastatin and Rosuvastatin, according to Medical News, are the 2 worst culprits. Side effects of all statins can be type 2 diabetes, raising the risk of cataracts, coronary heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, anxiety, depression, impair learning and memory, cause muscle pain, weakness and damage the liver and kidneys. I'd say that it was better to have the low density lipoprotein and try to get rid of it by careful diet, because to my, and others' minds, statins're evil.

Since this thread was started 10 months ago, I know 2 more people who've come off the hideous things, and who now feel much better.

I'm not a doctor, but several people in my family are. I'd have to tackle your mum's GP if it was me, because although her cholesterol's been reduced since taking the tablets, it doesn't mean that she will, or won't get any of the bad side effects, but being as though you've noticed some already, I'd personally say that coming off them'd be for the best before things progress.

The antidepressants might be helping your mum. I don't know why she's been prescribed them, but so long as they've been issued on a temporary basis and she's checked every few weeks, then she should be able to come off those when her symptoms subside. Once they kick in after a few prescriptions, even the "mild" low-doseage ones can be difficult to come off though, and they don't start to show any benefit until a patient's been on them for between 4-6 weeks, so after that they have to monitored. A relative of mine was given the lowest dose of diazepam for her anxiety/depression - just 2mg if I remember rightly - and it took her 10 years to come off the things! Her doctor'd said: "Oh, these're fine, and only 'weak'" - but it was the start of years of hell for the poor woman. These also affect the memory and the doctor should be told if the patient suffers from asthma or other breathing problems, kidney or liver disease, seizures, or has a history of drug or alcohol addiction, mental illness, depression, or suicidal thoughts. They also harm foetuses, which just shows you that folk're better off without these horrible things unless it's an absolute necessity.

I can't advise you what to do Wonderbunny, but if the boot was on the other foot, I'd write to your mum's doctor if you can't make a personal visit. Just because doctors do their best for their patients, doesn't mean that all of them do, and you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether you think your mum'd be better off in the long term by scrapping these things and trying other methods of alleviating her conditions.

You don't say what your mum's stomach problems might be, but they need properly investigating, not just being palmed off by adding to her medication. I hope things get better for her.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 06 Jan 2015, 19:46

diazepam for her anxiety/depression

that seems to make no sense, that's a sedative, so how'd that help with feeling depressed? I was given that for sleep, but I did not get along with it, so went off soon after. the problem for me was that after 3-4 days the dosage stopped working so i'd have to double. a week later double again?

I don't think so!!!

funny how different things work on different people.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Jan 2015, 20:02

Diazepam's an anti-anxiety drug hun, not a pill to induce sleep, although, the two can go hand in hand. Sometimes a person can't sleep or has an irregular pattern through being anxious or depressed, so if you treat the CAUSE of the insomnia, then obviously a person should be able to fall to sleep more easily as the drug starts to work.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 07 Jan 2015, 15:34

My mum's stomach problems are because of her hernia, which I think may have been caused by the statins (because of weakened muscles). So it's just like more and more drugs are being prescribed to counteract the effects of other drugs, which is crazy. The best things for her in my opinion would be healthy food, exercise, fresh air and social stimulation. It's sad that while she's depressed she doesn't feel like doing any of those things. The antidepressants are helping her to feel better, but she wouldn't need them if the statins hadn't made her ill in the first place. She is so different from how she was a few months ago eg. she came down to Oxfordshire by herself on the bus from Yorkshire (change at Milton Keynes) and now she's too anxious to even taken the bus into town to get her shopping.

She has got another appointment with the doctor in a few weeks and my sister has promised to mention my concerns.
    Wonderbunny
    Advanced Degree Poster
    Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Jan 2015, 16:46

Aww, bless her. I hope she does, because I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I'd say that your mum's hernia could well've been set off by taking statins, but maybe they should've looked at that before giving her more medication, as you say. If she has a hiatus hernia, it should be relatively easy to decrease the amount of stomach acid which could be causing pain, and ops're routinely done to repair various abdominal ones anyway - sometimes by laparoscopy. The NHS carries out about 100,000 of these ops a year, which're usually successful.

It's no wonder she's felt down if she's been experiencing a lot of pain or discomfort though. It really annoys me when doctors dish out antidepressants without trying to find the cause of it first.

Depending on your mum's mobility, it might not be a cut and dried answer to getting out and about and taking exercise, and because she's been feeling depressed, she probably couldn't rake up the enthusiasm for it anyway. Perhaps she could be encouraged to join online chats if she has internet access. It's one way towards "meeting" people without the fear of leaving home, and I can understand her reticence - and hesitance - in not wanting to go far from home if she feels poorly most of the time.

Antidepressants can actually cause the very thing they're supposed to treat. If she could go "cold turkey" with those and the statins, then seek help for the hernia, at least it'd be a step in the right direction instead of palming her off with meds which're just going to complicate matters, and you're right, it's vital that she has a good, varied diet and plenty of liquids.

A lot of foodstuff, and drinks such as coffee, can make hernias worse. Spicy and fried food's also not good, but I'm sure she knows that much.

I hope your sister can be as mindful as you seem to be yourself, and talk to the doctor with regard to your mum reducing her medication at the very least.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 09 Jan 2015, 16:37

Alas, using a computer and getting online is something she doesn't want to learn.
    Wonderbunny
    Advanced Degree Poster
    Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Jan 2015, 16:47

I know several people who have no desire to go online anyway, but once someone does, even if it's just for browsing and maybe emailing/messaging, it gets you hooked doesn't it?

It's your mum's prerogative if she doesn't want to though, but it's a shame because it can open up a whole new world, and I was just trying to think of some way in which she could communicate and "meet" people without leaving her home.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 09 Jan 2015, 19:37

icy, valium and its derivatives were described as muscle relaxants, as well as sleeping pills. somewhere along the way I was prescribed valium - to take daily! for my frequent neck spasms. it relaxed me alright, one day I bent down to pick up something off the floor - and without any sense of falling, in slow motion I keeled over on my face.

the valium went into garbage.

however, unlike normal people, valium will give me a really good night's sleep. the baggage that comes with them just isn't worth it.

bunny, as for mom's health issues... perhaps you could print out some literature off the net for her to look over...?
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Jan 2015, 20:28

Ah, I see now why it acted like a sleeping tablet. As a muscle relaxant and anti-anxiety drug, it WOULD probably relax you and induce drowsiness. Strangely enough, it can cause sleep apnea as well, but in the normal way, a person'd be given a sleeping pill such as Temazepam or Loprazolam, because as a quick fix, these drugs're known to be effective and can tide people over for a short while, but our doctors don't like to prescribe them, preferring to look at the cause of the sleeplessness first and to see whether cognitive methods'd work better.

Still, whatever works, really.

Good suggestion that you've given to Wonderbunny.
      Ice.Maiden
      Golden Poster
      Golden Poster

Return to Health