heroin

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

heroin

Postby pilvikki » 20 Feb 2014, 16:46

well, here's a subject i was seriously ignorant about, because nobody's ever explained it, except in the movies - all wrong:

heavy-duty shit 101
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: heroin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Feb 2014, 18:33

Only an idiot'd get into heroin. I think most people know that it takes a few shots before addiction sets in, but as the writer says, by the time they realise it, it's often too late. Even so, it's interesting to hear things from an ex-addict's viewpoint.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 27 Feb 2014, 06:25

it's pretty tough to grasp unless you've been there. apparently. i thought i had a clue, being an addictive sort, but i really was clueless....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Feb 2014, 12:53

Knowing someone who used to take it, I was interested to hear the why's and what's. I wanted to know how it's made, and researched into it further. Hideous stuff, and yet opiates have a place in the medical world.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 28 Feb 2014, 11:56

Actually, in my opinion, heroin gets a bad rap. In the USA, it's considered to be a Schedule I substance, i.e., having no medical value whatsoever. However, I understand that it's a legally prescribed medication in the UK, widely used by hospices to control pain in terminally ill patients for whom morphine and/or methadone is no longer effective. As a nurse who's cared for many end-stage patients with intractable pain, I believe that having had access to such a medication for such patients would have been a godsend. Yes, as with all opiates, heroin *does* have the potential for abuse, and, in my opinion, that's tragic. My oldest daughter's high school boyfriend died from an overdose of heroin, which caused her a great deal of pain emotionally (and, tragically, literally destroyed his whole family!). My honest opinion is that the poor young man was a victim of this country's "war on drugs," and, had he been treated with compassion and offered treatment, rather than having been jailed for his "offenses," he might still be alive today. Still, I'd like to think that poor Andrew's death wasn't in vain. Yes, it had a profound effect upon my daughter...so much so that she now has Master's degrees in social work AND in public health, and has devoted her career to helping others with substance abuse and mental health issues, both of which are sadly under-funded here in the good old US of A.
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Feb 2014, 17:33

it has no value? well, there's an educated opinion!

mother used to get bursitis in her shoulder and having fibromyalgia, she was in additional pain. so, she called the doctor and sent father to pick up the prescription. father goes to pharmacy. pharmacist peers at it, stares at father, then goes off to call the doc.

he then comes back, fidgets and hems and haws until father finally snaps and asks what hell his problem is!

"well, you see, this has been illegal for 2 years... it's heroin."

ok, the guy was an idiot. father went back for something legal, while mother's comment was "pity. it really worked..."

as for addiction, if you'll be dead in a month, will it matter if you die an addict or squeaky clean?
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Feb 2014, 19:20

Drug addiction's no laughing matter, and by addiction, I mean that to include the thousands of people who rely on various pick-me-ups to get through the day. Many don't realise the hideous side effects until they try to come off the medication - and this's prescribed stuff I'm talking about.

I agree with brandtrn that more help should be made available to those who're stuck in a cycle of heroin or cocaine use. There're centres and hospitals over here which try and deal with the psychological problems which often lead to drug dependence, and thankfully, many of those who offer advice've been users themselves, so they're in a good position to help.

Heroin itself seems to be losing it's glamour in the UK, but the use of crystal meth's increased. It's not just the addict who suffers, but those around them, and crack can cause intensely violent tendencies, making the user unpredictable.

In given situations, as with Vikki's mother, heroin would've probably been the best medication for her, but here, although the drug IS used medicinally, the main pain relief comes from morphine - because heroin's synthetic, and morphine's refined directly from opium, so considered better, and possibly safer.

I'm sorry for your daughter's friend brandtrn, and sorry that Vikki's mother was in so much pain. It's tragic that one used it because he was addicted, and the other used it out of necessity, but there ought to be more help available on both scores.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 01 Mar 2014, 18:18

heroin isn't synthetic.

Heroin is a white or brown powder or a black, sticky goo. It's made from morphine, a natural substance in the seedpod of the Asian poppy plant.

they do have a new drug out, but now i can't find the name for it.

figures.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby pilvikki » 01 Mar 2014, 18:20

pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Mar 2014, 19:39

Interesting - thanks. It sure sounds powerful!

I'm sorry - I meant to say semi-synthetic drug, re. the heroin.
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 02 Mar 2014, 15:32

let me guess...

"possible side-effects: death"

yeah, thanks a lot.
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Mar 2014, 19:36

I'd say that sums it up very well! In fact ... I'd bet on it being a definite effect unless the dosage was very, very carefully monitored, but then, people in such pain as'd warrant the use of the stuff'd no doubt be in a state of "couldn't care less" whether they died or not! : (
    Ice.Maiden
    Golden Poster
    Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 04 Mar 2014, 12:13

true enough...
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Mar 2014, 17:24

It's odd how heroin and other painkillers have different effects on different people though. I wonder if depends on purity (in the case of heroin)?
      Ice.Maiden
      Golden Poster
      Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Mar 2014, 08:37

mother did not have much of a reaction to morphine. she got a preop shot of it and kept on with her crossword puzzle. a nurse pops her head in, mother asks for an 8 letter word starting with... and the nurse looks at the time, sez she'll be right back and returns with another shot which she gives mother.

THEN she looks at the chart, goes pale and asks if mother already had a shot. "why yes, i while ago. say, can you think of a word starting with...?"

later on it turns out that they'd given her a potentially lethal dose. meanwhile, mother kept doing her crossword... :whistle:
        pilvikki
        Royal Poobah Penguin
        Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Mar 2014, 10:17

Good grief! Strong constitution or what?!!

When I was on a morphine drip after an op, I asked for it to be removed after a bit. I could cope with the pain without it, but was fed up of trying to talk to visitors and fading off in mid-sentence! LOOOL. There was no point in anyone being there really. I'd say a few words - then zonk.
        Ice.Maiden
        Golden Poster
        Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Mar 2014, 18:48

i was given oxycodone for tooth ache. i was stoned out of my tree but still could feel the pain.

stupid dentist misdiagnosed an abscess for TMJ and treated it with ultrasound. :crazy:
        pilvikki
        Royal Poobah Penguin
        Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Mar 2014, 10:22

OMG, you poor soul! Mind you, some abscesses don't respond to painkillers. When my OH had one, he had as many shots as possible, but nothing numbed the pain ... so the dentist lanced the thing there and then ....
        Ice.Maiden
        Golden Poster
        Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 06 Mar 2014, 18:14

ouch.

i hate it when that happens...

:shock:

perhaps some heroin...?

:lol:
          pilvikki
          Royal Poobah Penguin