Double mastectomy

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

Double mastectomy

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 May 2013, 15:48

I was surprised to hear that Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy last month, as she carries a gene which could lead to breast or ovarian cancer. Her mother died of the disease, so to lessen her chances, she decided on the operation.

I think she's made a brave decision, mainly to make sure that her children have her with them for as long as possible. I admire her for this decision, especially as she's in a line of work where her looks and body are deemed of great importance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22520720
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Double mastectomy

Postby pilvikki » 15 May 2013, 08:56

i love the way these articles are written:

[emma somebody] ...said in an explanation of her reasons for having the operation.

why is she expected to explain anything to anyone?

i don't know about "heroic", brad, it's not like losing a hand or a foot and the replacements often look better than the originals.... bloody painful though.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: Double mastectomy

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 May 2013, 09:10

I agree in a way. I wouldn't have reconstruction though, after hearing that if cancer came back on the chest wall, scans are sometimes unable to tell because of the implants dulling the image. This can give the cancer time to metastasize and make further treatment useless. : (

I think people probably explain why they've made their choices to make other women aware of what may be the right thing for them to do as well.

In Angelina's case, I don't think anyone'd notice whether she had boobs there or not, since she's practically flat-chested anyway, but although she has no need to explain, fans might ask why she won't be doing any nude shots in future. Also, it was probably her personal way of dealing with her decision. Even though she made the choice herself, it can be, as you say, painful, and have an effect on how you see yourself as a woman. Under the circumstances though, it was probably wise.

Apart from all that, I think Angelina's beautiful. Oh god .. so's Brad. Sick bag!!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Health