hormone check...

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

hormone check...

Postby pilvikki » 08 Feb 2013, 17:33

something i came across on the net:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Mood-Disorders-and-Orthomolecular-Medicine&id=1498987

i was looking at those lists and according to them, i'm just about out of all of them. along with thyroid... so i can see myself at the drug store:

"hi! could i have a quart of L-tryptophan with a side of 5HTP, liberally sprinkled with......"
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: hormone check...

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Feb 2013, 19:36

Interesting article there. I never knew that so many children are considered as having depressive disorders either, and see that in the UK, giving antidepressants to them's going to be banned, whilst even in adults, Prozac (considered one of the least harmful of drugs if just taken over a short period) and Seroxat've been found to cause strokes, heart trouble and death amongst adults, especially those over 65.

Lack of sleep and other conditions've long been associated with various forms of depression, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who suffers with them IS depressed. Unfortunately, some of our doctors used to dish ad's out like Smarties because they didn't know what else to do for these illnesses, but it's been noticeable over the past couple of years how much harder it is to obtain prescriptions of Ativan, Prosac and so on.

Our local surgeries make their patients fill in a questionaire, and only if they tick enough of the boxes might they be considered suitable for a course of ad's. They're also given pamphlets re. their symptoms and with advice on diet and exercise. Exposure to small and frequent doses of sunlight are better for providing vitamin D than taking supplements of 5htp.

Also 5htp's been used on sheep to kill parasites!

I believe that mood changes, lack of sleep and general lethargy can be a sign of low seratonin production, maybe caused by a hormone imbalance. This'd cause mild to severe symptoms, and with the endocrine system being complex, parts of that article could well be right. The thyroid's controlled by the pituitary gland - which the hypothalamus regulates. Hypothalamic problems include disturbed sleep patterns, weight gain and affect (in women) the ovaries (oestrogen and progesterone levels) which in turn can have an effect on mood and sex drive.

My personal opinion's that when any of these symptoms become severe or prolonged, then folk ought to be offered blood tests, to first check whether the endocrine system's working properly. If not, then medication can regulate it, but I've already had this done for other reasons, and it's not a quick process. It takes a long time to check out the mass of individual hormones and cross check them against each other, but I DO think that we are what we eat and drink. If we have the right balance of vitamins and minerals in our bodies, it goes a long way to making us feel better.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 09 Feb 2013, 08:18

then folk ought to be offered blood tests, to first check whether the endocrine system's working properly.

see, that's what gets my goat, kids, especially should be checked out thoroughly before starting on a/d's. especially those that have suicide as a possible side-effect...

i mean WTF?

a friend decided to go off prozak when her huge prison guard husband became afraid of her...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Feb 2013, 08:42

Yes, they can be pretty unpleasant things, giving rise to suicidal thoughts and mood swings.

To give this sort of medication to kids is asking for trouble. A lot of pubescent teenagers can have massive mood swings and display signs of depression when all it might be is their hormones are out of sync, but a lot of parents don't understand about how our bodies work, and'd rather get a quick fix from their doctors, which might calm their children down - or liven them up, depending on their symptoms.

These ad's can quickly become addictive, even at a low dose, and no one seems to know what the long-term effects might be on young developing bodies and minds.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Health