antibiotics in your burgers

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

antibiotics in your burgers

Postby pilvikki » 27 Dec 2012, 05:01

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: antibiotics in your burgers

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Dec 2012, 12:25

True enough, and it happens over here as well. There's no need to pump so many antibiotics into meat.

The Organic Trade Association says:

"Organic practices prohibit the use of hormones, antibiotics or other animal drugs in animal feed for the purpose of stimulating the growth or production of livestock. If an antibiotic is used to restore an animal to health, that animal cannot be used for organic production or be sold, labeled or represented as organic. Thus, organic practices avoid the abuse of antibiotics that could have profound consequences for treatment of disease in humans, including the serious dangers of antibiotic-resistant bacteria."

And this's one of the reasons that we've only bought and used organic meat for years.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Dec 2012, 20:36

i copied that last part and sent it to the kids, for that's the whole thing nicely condensed right there.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Dec 2012, 08:14

It was, wasn't it? You can taste the difference as well. The only things which are allowed to be added are vitamins and minerals, which are given in addition to their natural pasture grazing, because these help to keep the animals well, but there's nothing horrible in these.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 29 Dec 2012, 20:26

yes, you sure can taste the difference!

a case in point: in an other life we had 2 pigs, Sweet and Sour. in the fall the neighbours brought over bushels of their fallen apples and you could taste it in the chops. they were delicious. :mrgreen:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Dec 2012, 12:04

Oh NOOOOoooo!!!! You didn't??? I guess you did .... and yes, it would've provided the extra taste.

Vikks - how could you?!! I think pigs are lovely. I DO eat some pork, but I could never kill one.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 02 Jan 2013, 08:26

luckily for me these guys were anything but lovely; they were quite aggressive and once refused to let me in the gate. i had the kids with me and ended up calling my husband to come and get us into the house. [he worked 60 miles away and was not happy.] they got penned after that.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Jan 2013, 09:21

I know what you mean. Pigs CAN be aggressive, especially if the sow has a litter or the boar's rutting!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Health