Squeamish

Topics pertaining to healthy bodies and minds can be examined here.

Squeamish

Postby forgetfultel » 06 Jul 2011, 08:03

Some years ago I used to watch all the medical ducumentary programs on TV, no matter the subject. Until one day there was one on an eye operation, where the patient's eye was removed from the socket and was 'sitting' on his cheek while the op was carried out. Then the viewers (i.e. me) learned that the patient was awake during this whole thing.

That put me off medical documentaries completely, and I don't think I've watched one since.

Worse is, programs like CSI now have such realistic fake body parts, that I can't watch some of the scenes in those programs (which are amongst my favourites).

Today as I type, I went through one of the ops I could not now watch. Last year I was diagnosed with cataracts, and although I was told it would be quite some time before they would need to be operated on, they 'matured' far more quickly than usual, and so I had the first eye operated on this morning. It is just a minor operation, which doctors perform in third world countries all the time. The whole thing only took about 30 minutes, although with at least 4 lots of 4 eye drops and much waiting around, I was in the hospital for 4 hours total. I now have a big patch on my eye which I can't take off for another 3 hours. It's not easy typing when you can only see out of one eye.

As I wear glasses all the time, I had to take an old pair to the optician to have one lens removed, so that I will have glasses to wear when driving. I'm finding it odd to think that I may not need glasses for distance viewing, as I've been wearing them since I was about 11.

Oh and I'm getting cheesed off with people saying "wait and see". ;)
forgetfultel
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Re: Squeamish

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Jul 2011, 16:48

Best of luck! I think you were very brave.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Jul 2011, 17:55

i know so many people who'd had the operation and they're just raving about it.

daughter had laser surgery on her eyes for being too blind to recognize herself in the mirror. she keeps telling me that i should go for it, too, and i keep telling her that her old mother doesn't NEED eye surgery yet.

:lmao4:

besides, i'd never tell her, but the mere thought gives me the willies... :shifty:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Jul 2011, 19:45

Well my mil's had both of her eyes done, and still needs glasses, but her cataracts were getting bad, so at least she still has her sight, even if it's not what it once was.
I've heard good and bad things about it, so don't know really, but after reading in th link below exactly what happens during laser surgery .... I'm sorry... I don't think I could do it!

http://www.eyes-and-vision.com/what-to- ... rgery.html
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Jul 2011, 23:34

i'm not even going to LOOK at that link! just in case i will need some surgery in that dept eventually.

ALL the people i know have had very successful cataract ops.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Jul 2011, 14:01

One woman I know was left with an eyelid that wouldn't stop fluttering (you know like when you get one of those annoying nerve things that makes your lid twitch?), but in the main, I think these ops are successful. My mil just found that during the first op, even though her eye was anaesthetised, she was fighting not to blink against the bright light that homed in on her, and found the whole thing a bit uncomfortable.

No - don't read the link then Vikki. It explains exactly what happens during the laser treatment. It's pretty quick, but ... no. no. I still couldn't.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 09 Jul 2011, 00:49

forgetfultel wrote:It's not easy typing when you can only see out of one eye.

One of the very thing I have to begrudge the service for...they certainly made me a touch-typist...I very rarely look at the keyboard when I type. I was up above 60 WPM before I cross-trained.

Ice.Maiden wrote:One woman I know was left with an eyelid that wouldn't stop fluttering (you know like when you get one of those annoying nerve things that makes your lid twitch?)...

Oh, stop that right now!! :icecold:

Hopefully, it will work out great for you. I know that laser surgery has advanced in leaps and bounds, and you may definitely reap great benefits from the procedure.

Just wait and see.... :whistle: :shifty:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Jul 2011, 09:11

:vrysad:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 09 Jul 2011, 19:53

now the very latest is micro surgery, supposedly even better than laser.

so, would you like your eyeball sliced or fried...? :think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby forgetfultel » 11 Jul 2011, 13:28

Hi everyone - thanks for the replies. The op I had was different to laser surgery - it actually involves ultrasound to get rid of the cataract (phacoemulsification and IOL to be precise), then a very small replacement lens is inserted - less than a quarter inch across, made in Fort Worth, Texas by Alcon Laboratories Inc.

I've got to be careful about getting dust etc in my eye, but I've already played golf (twice) and I can see the ball in the air, which is useful (though not essential if the playing partners can see it).

All in all I'm very pleased with the results, and it encourages me to have the other eye done in due course, especially as I never felt anything during the op, and the discomfort after was very short-lived.
forgetfultel
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Jul 2011, 14:33

Excellent! I'm pleased that all went well for you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2011, 22:31

i'm supposed to have a consult on friday for lasik on my eyes but, for about the fifth time, i can't get down there. =(
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 14 Jul 2011, 15:48

why the hell not?

i saw a friend i'd not seen for a bit and she'd had the cataract surgery. she is ever so pleased!

happy seeing!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby forgetfultel » 31 Aug 2011, 02:22

Update - had my follow-up appointment yesterday, and have been given the all clear. Surgery was a success, and everything has healed up properly. Unfortunately, the cataract in my right eye is not so advanced (they go from level 0 - no cataract, to level 4 - being blindness - I was told yesterday that my left eye was category 3), at the moment it's above 0 but otherwise doesn't register on this scale, so I have been officially discharged back into the care of my optician to await the inevitable 'fogging' of my vision, which will probably be accompanied by a decline in my golf again. Last time, it took just 9 months for the cataracts (I had two of them) in my left eye to go from first diagnosis to level 3.
forgetfultel
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 31 Aug 2011, 03:49

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear about your left eye, but pleased that your surgery was successful. Best of luck with it hun.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 31 Aug 2011, 10:45

since we no longer need cadavers for the corneas, why does one have to wait, since it's going anyway?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby kg » 31 Aug 2011, 12:02

Do you really need to be told? It's called "Health Insurance Companies!"

You have to be near death before they finally decide that yes, he probably needs the surgery. Then sometimes they won't pay for it because you are near death..."Well, it won't help him now...he's too near death!" :doh:

Can you tell I'm not too fond of health insurance companies? :roll:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 01 Sep 2011, 17:06

a true fan, i can tell.

i can see why...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby forgetfultel » 07 Sep 2011, 03:00

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I'm in the UK, so there was no cost for the surgery and therefore no insurance companies involved. The consultant who examined me before the first op did say that they don't always wait to operate on the second eye, knowing that it will need to be done eventually. The problem is more to do with how many other people need operations to be don;, so I've been 'discharged' until my need is greater. I was so pleased with the results, it would have been nice to get it all done with sooner, but such is life!
forgetfultel
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Sep 2011, 11:03

ah, ok, now it makes sense!

happy to hear it's all good!

:dancer2:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Next