Important Notice

The latest news about activities in the Brainformation Forums.

Important Notice

Postby forumadmin » 02 Feb 2015, 11:34

An exact date has not been decided upon yet, but in the not too distant future the software which runs Brainformation Forums will be updated. This update is different than those we have performed in the past in that the entire site must be rebuilt. It's not just a matter of changing a few files. The database will need to be restructured as well. All our member registrations and topic posts should be retained and unaffected. That is the plan as of this writing.

Brainformation Forums consists of three web sites; Archives, neoBrainformation, and BFC. All three sites will undergo updating with BFC being the first. Hopefully any bugs or problems will be worked out during that update. While the end product should remain essentially the same as we currently have, there may be some new features added. Room for expansion is built into the new software. Since BFC will be the first of our sites to be upgraded that would be an ideal place for any (or all) of us to register and test out the new software. Our Archives will be next to upgrade, and finally neoBrainformation. Announcements regarding upgrade progress will be made along the way here and on our social network pages (Facebook, Google+ and Twitter).

There is a very high probability that the upgrade will go smoothly and as anticipated. However, when an entire web site has to be rebuilt there are many opportunities for disaster. Should the worst happen and we lose everything, rest assured that Brainformation Forums will continue in one form or another. Whether our web site is accessible or not, I may be contacted via our social network pages or via the administrator e-mail account @brainformation.com.
forumadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Important Notice

Postby Kellemora » 02 Feb 2015, 13:47

Which version are you running Yogi?

I didn't think the new Stable Branch was due out until October.

Right now, isn't 3.0 Olympus the stable branch?

I know 3.1 Ascraeus and 3.2 Rhea are in development.
Heard Ascraeus was not php7 compliant so broke backward compliance.

Needless to say, I know next to nothing about phpBB, other than what a friend who tried it had to say. I'll have to look again to see what he is using. His site was down for a long time because he didn't understand some of the changes made the last time he upgraded.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 02 Feb 2015, 15:37

We have phpbb 3.0.12 installed on all our boards. The admin notifications claims 3.0.13-PL1 is now available. This would be the last build in the 3.0.x series.

The phpbb download page offers phpbb 3.1.2 which is already the second release. There have been 5 RC's before this from what I can tell. PHP 5.3.3 or greater is required on the server to run the latest release.

I'm not hearing much about phpbb 3.2 but then I don't run beta versions on our live board. I did that once and ended up having to restore the database. LOL I might try it on BFC once I upgrade all the sites and it runs stable for a while.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 03 Feb 2015, 15:22

Hi Yogi

It's good you are staying with the stable branch.
I hope moving up a notch within same doesn't cause you too many problems.

Checked with my friend, and he said he wasn't much of a guru, so went with Invision.
I'm fairly certain it is a host providers program. Zeta-Boards or something like that.

I've looked at the instructions for phpBB a couple of times, and they are about as far over my head as man pages.

Knock on simulated wood grain before starting the upgrade for luck!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 03 Feb 2015, 22:21

I take your comments with a grain of salt because I know your home network is far more complicated than what is required to run phpBB. If you can partition disks and install Linux from an iso image, you are over qualified to install and set up phpBB. Should you need some help setting up a site I'd be glad to lend you a hand. All you need is a hosting service, a way to unpack the software, and a means to upload it to the server. It's all browser managed after that.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby forumadmin » 05 Feb 2015, 00:48

Off topic replies moved to: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19193
forumadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Brainformation News