Login Changes

The latest news about activities in the Brainformation Forums.

Login Changes

Postby forumadmin » 14 Dec 2014, 11:43

Today I made some changes to the anonymous (guest) views of our website. If you are not logged in as a member when you get here, the default style view of our forums is presented. That current default style is subsilver2. After logging in the board style changes to Graand (red), unless you have gone into your preferences and changed your preferred style to something else. That something else will still be your style.

Why did I bother doing this? The answer is that I also made changes in the registration process. The changes made in the registration process became necessary this weekend when some Russian spam bot discovered how to get around our normally complicated questions and check boxes. The new scheme will require some human intelligence and should keep the bots out in the foreseeable future. The good news is that it is now a lot easier to register if you are a human.

People already registered will not see these changes, but new members will. The changes I made are designed to only work with the ugly styles that come with our site software, prosilver and subsilver2, thus I had to modify the guest login style. If you see something different when you arrive here, you now know why.
forumadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Login Changes

Postby Kellemora » 14 Dec 2014, 11:55

Sounds like you are keeping well up on things!

My cousin John's website started getting ads through a spambot.
He thought he nipped it in the bud by adding 'Captcha.'
His mailbox first got swamped with complaints about that horrible service.
Then he found it was an open door to some hackers, who made a mess of his website.
Fortunate for him, it was only a matter of uploading a copy of the website before he added the Captcha to the program. He didn't say whether or not it messed up or if he lost any of his database. I'm sure he would have said something if it did though.

Good Job on keeping the site running smoothly!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Login Changes

Postby forumadmin » 14 Dec 2014, 16:00

There is not much we can do to stop human hackers from cracking through our simple front end. The bots are pretty clever too, but easily fooled if we change anything that was standard. The recent changes made here are intended to stop the bots - so far it looks like we are successful until they learn the new system.
forumadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Brainformation News