My New Car

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

Re: My New Car

Postby VS~ » 25 Oct 2007, 13:41

Nice car, Stan!
My friend just bought a new Honda Accord. It came with a nice "little man" who talks to her and tells her where to go. Whatever car I get after I wear the Beetle out, it is going to HAVE to have a GPS! I love my VW and it still runs great. I need to put about a grand in it right now - it just turned 100,000 miles and needs a timing belt and tune-up. It has $700. worth of new tires, so the ride is s-m-o-o-t-h and it is comfortable for me. I can seat me and three without crowding and it has all the extras it should have - CD player, AC, heater, leather seats (but I always sit on a towel - I don't like the leather).
VS~

Postby G5Pontiac » 21 Dec 2007, 14:35

:cool2: I agree, those GPS units are nice. My granddaughter has a Lexus with a built in GPS. She and my son went to California on vacation/holiday, and the little man kept them going in the right direction, even in Los Angeles, where the streets go in every direction, like paved cow trails. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket GPS from Staples, who has them on sale regularly.
G5Pontiac

Postby pilvikki » 21 Dec 2007, 15:02

i don't know if i could break a lifelong tradition of getting lost and inconveniencing people.... the getting lost past i don't mind, but i hate having people wait, wondering which cow path i took this time.

last time i got lost i was in hamilton, on. i've had 40 yrs experience of having lake ontario south of me and suddenly it's gone north so i kept looking at the map [without my glasses - another stupid stunt to leave them behind] and getting more and more confused until the sun came out and i knew the south had relocated itself!

:oops:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 21 Dec 2007, 20:53

The problem, Hoochie dearest, is that the GPS will get you only to the parking lot. And we know that just isn't quite good enough. :lmao4:
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 22 Dec 2007, 21:07

:bleh:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 25 Dec 2007, 01:33

:love:
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 25 Dec 2007, 13:14

:P
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Silverado » 16 Jan 2008, 21:22

This little Chevy is unique!

This car was built by N2A motors (No Two Alike). Cost is $40,000 over the cost of a new Corvette C6 (MSRP $44,000). Unbelievable! The company is planning a production run of about 100 vehicles. It sits on a Corvette C6 chassis, front styled like a 57 Chevy, side like a 58, rear like a 59 Hence the designation "789."

this is my car! It's on my wishlist. :sigh:
Last edited by Silverado on 20 Jan 2008, 19:10, edited 2 times in total.
Silverado

Postby Silverado » 20 Jan 2008, 19:05

[ img ]

This is on my wishlist!
Silverado

Postby Bea » 20 Jan 2008, 19:16

oh. my.god. i have quite literally jizzed all over the laptop. that car is amazing. Please post warnings when you are going to put something as stupendously beautiful as that in a thread.
Bea

Postby pilvikki » 20 Jan 2008, 22:37

now that's :cool2:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby MargeX » 21 Jan 2008, 05:46

Silverado wrote:[ img ]

This is on my wishlist!

I saved that to my hard drive to drool over a bit. OMG!
MargeX

Postby StVandal » 21 Jan 2008, 17:06

WOW! Please tell me that's not just a concept car!
StVandal

Postby Sandra » 22 Jan 2008, 08:34

"WoW" what a beautiful car :drool: .... I need to purchase a car but I've a feeling one like this is way out my league!
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Silverado » 22 Jan 2008, 22:41

And this is the backside..with duel pipes. What is a concept car?

[ img ]
Silverado

Postby StVandal » 23 Jan 2008, 15:24

I was just wondering what kind of car that was (above).

A concept car.. here's what wikipedia says about them: "A concept car or show car is a car prototype made to showcase a concept, new styling, technology and more. They are often shown at motor shows to gauge customer reaction to new and radical designs which may or may not have a chance of being produced."

As you can see here, between concept and final design there can be some radical changes.. Here's the first Buick Wildcat concept car (a few were actually made):
[ img ]

And here's the first mass-produced Buick Wildcat, finally made in 1963:
[ img ]

They weren't done conceptualizing in 1985, when they came out with this sorry melted looking thing (1985 Buick Wildcat concept):
[ img ]

By and large, concept cars are fun to look at. I don't think the designers even try to be practical any more, which ends in some pretty cool looking designs (most of the time).
StVandal

Postby MargeX » 23 Jan 2008, 17:40

I own a £300,000 concept car, a Lamborghini Countache. At the price, I'm happy to say the 'ownership' part is just a 'concept' at the moment. :shifty:
MargeX

Postby Silverado » 23 Jan 2008, 22:19

Oh, ok ...then this is not a concept car...the co. that built it plans on producing 100 of them. ( refer to my first post.) :cool2:
Silverado

Postby G5Pontiac » 23 Jan 2008, 23:28

That blue car above, built from Chevys from different years, has the rear section from a 1959 Chevrolet. I remember those well, and the cars were nice, but they had a tragic flaw. The aerodynamics of the rear section causes "lift", like an airplane's wing. Not noticeable at low speeds, but deadly at high speeds. The Oregon State Police had a fleet of those cars in 1959 and had problems in pursuit on the freeway. Chevrolet kept that for one year only, and then came out with a different rear design that had a "dog leg" appearance.

By the way, the Chevrolet cars built from 1955 through 1956 were excellent. The 1958 model was close to a death trap. It had no parallel frame members. The frame was called an "X-Member". It was shaped like an X, and some of them broke in half when in a collision. The front half went one way, and the rear half another. Of course, with the drive shaft passing through the center of the X it was weak at that point. Bad design. They used that X-Member one year, 1958. The 1959 cars were entirely different. Of course I remember all of that; I'm older than dirt. 8-)
G5Pontiac

Postby brandtrn » 31 Jan 2008, 00:48

That car is SWEEEET, Stan! Very nice, indeed!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Previous

Return to Hobbies and Interests