Comic Book News

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

Comic Book News

Postby jakimbro » 26 Aug 2009, 15:14

Just a forum to talk about the latest comic book news, movies etc. to lead off- here is a cool article from :
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/08/bre ... _sword.php

The headline is:
Breaking: Govenor Schwarzenegger Keeps Conan's Sword in his Office
With a picture of the actual sword! Is that awesome or what?

You know the only good thing about it not being important that the American president actually be a citizen anymore (like Obama the Usurper)- is yes- Schwarzenegger can BE President! I think he would be AWESOME! President CONAN!

BTW- I loved the Conan movies- Yes, they were lousy and they muddled Howard up something terrible-but it did star Arnold- and he WAS Conan. i evEn loved him in that awful Red Sonja movie- becuase he so obviously Conan. And YES- i can't WAIT till the Red Sonja Remake - starring Rose McGowan (in a Chainmail bikini) comes out in 2010! Rose can't act- as 5 seasons of starring in "Charmed" proves- but she's got the look- and large heaving bosums to make up for it!

Red Sonja is definately on my MUST see movie list!
http://screenrant.com/executive-produce ... ofi-13724/
:dancer2:

And on this website:waht to my wondering eyes do appear? an entire thread- about a possible CONAN remake!
http://screenrant.com/tag/conan/

I'm so happy!

:grin:
jakimbro

Re: Comic Book News

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Aug 2009, 13:45

I really can't comment on whether Arnie'd make a good president or not, but my uncle met him and Lou Ferrigno some years ago, during their body- building heydays, and said that he was very charming and had no trouble in signing autographs for his fans.
As an actor, I don't rate him, but Conan the Barbarian was shown again recently, and no one can dispute that he had an awesome body! At the time, he was right for the part, but of course, I'm sure that folk fell in love with the character he was playing. He's no doubt worlds apart from all that in real life!
Glad you're still busy with the comics Jerry - oh, and avatar's Ok as well!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby jakimbro » 28 Aug 2009, 07:01

I added more comics to my DA page- http://jerrykimbro.deviantart.com and if you bookmark it and check it often- i promise to upload more more more comics..in the works- i've got a Harry hamm comic that needs finishing.

Harry Hamm is a pig detective- he lives in the 1930s solving weird cases even Raymond Chandler wouldn't touch. Its a bit of pulp action and two-fisted, hard boiled, gumshoe fun like the old days! I love to draw Harry Hamm - but haven't because I'm a lazy bastard. but thats changing! I'm trying hard to upgrade my comic page outpout. my goal is 50 pages a day like Jack Kirby could do. Currently i stand at 3 pages a week.

I need to get cracking!
jakimbro

MORE Comic Book News

Postby Yogi » 31 Aug 2009, 15:31

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/new ... _galleries

Looks like Disney is getting into the super hero business. Almost all my childhood comic book memories are of Disney characters, but Walt is gone now, and so is the charm. I think the current move is nothing but an attempt to boost the bottom line for the company. Entertainment is secondary these days.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby jakimbro » 31 Aug 2009, 16:13

Thanks yogi for the intersting article!

In a way its fitting that Disney should be the one to bring the Marvel Heros to the movie screen. Because marvel has always been about bombast and sales. Marvel heros are sellouts! They have changed and killed every marvel hero so many times that no one can keep count. Whatever slls- thats what hppens to Marvel comics.

But that because Stan Lee is an opportunististic bastard! The pittance he paid great attists like Jack kirby- the man who inventeed Captain Amrerica, Thor, the Hulk, Ironman, the Avengers, and so many more is just an example of how he worked a stable of great comic book artists to rags while he reped the rewards from their efforts. A pox on him!

Still I would like to see Dr. Strange on the big screen- i don;t see how Disney coudl crew him up worse than they have done to heros like Tarzan. Speaking of tarzan- his cousin- John Carter of Mars is due to be out in the movies in 2010. Its also a Disney production! Now THAT I want to see!
jakimbro

DISNEY BUYS MARVEL!!!

Postby jakimbro » 05 Sep 2009, 21:44

I missed the implications of what Yogi was talking about even though it was there right on the first line of his posted Article. Disney is doing more tham putting more Marvel heroson the screen- its BUYING the whole Marvel Comic Group! DAMMMMMMN!

BREAKING: DISNEY BUYS MARVEL

Walt Disney Company said Monday it has agreed to buy Marvel Entertainment, the storied comic book company that owns the rights to such popular characters as Spider-Man and and the Fantastic Four, in a cash and stock deal it valued at $4 billion. The deal comes more than 10 years after Marvel was at the center of a bruising and highly public takeover battle between two feisty financiers.

Shareholders at Marvel will need to approve the transaction, which boards of directors at both companies have already approved.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Robert Iger, Disney's chief executive, said in a statement announcing the deal.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's chief executive officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/08/bre ... marvel.php

Its done deal! The Mouse is mightier than the Hulk.

And in an open letter to Disney- Um I 'm ready to sell my comic book 'library of characters' too, For a cool million. Come on - thats cheap compared to the money you'd make on a dozen or so Harry Hamm movies. I'm just sayin'. Would i sell out? Hell yes.
jakimbro

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Sep 2009, 22:25

How about Dreamworks Jerry? I think the animated characters/films now make Disney look old hat.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Ron Howard on his first comic-book film project

Postby Yogi » 24 Sep 2009, 13:31

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom ... r-me-.html

Are you aware that Ron Howard wants to bring one of your favorites to the big screen?
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby jakimbro » 25 Sep 2009, 01:11

Interesting! Lovecraft has always traditionally bombed at the box office- and to me that has been part of the appeal. His stories seem to so eldritch and indescribible as to defy cinematic representation- but ont eh other hand I guess it had to happen. How can you make a movie that takes HPL's verbose writing style into account?

there have been several semi- successful independant films of his works. i just checked one of the libray shown at the HL Lovecraft filmfestical in proviednce every year. it was a an adaptation of Cool Air but also had several short b&W films shot in the style of the 1920s (movies at the time of HPL). They were great- i especailly enjoyed one called Nyarlothotep after HPL's three page short story of the same name. On the big screen they are filming At the Mountains of Madness! coming out in 2010 sometime. Lovecraft is busting out all over!

But no movie will ever take the place of curling up on rainy evening with the merciless wind howling and the cyclopean storm raging iutside - and reading Lovecraft by a dim flickering light while strange and unknown monstrous shadows seem to play tricks play just outside of the range of your eye.

Ph'nglui mglw'nath wgah'ngal fhtagn!
jakimbro

Return to Hobbies and Interests