All that money Momma gave me for singing lessons...

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

All that money Momma gave me for singing lessons...

Postby kg » 09 Sep 2007, 23:18

has kinda paid off. I've been playing league Pool (8-Ball) lately (mainly in the APA), and we had a "Player's Appreciation Tournament" this weekend. It was split into 3 parts, with (skill levels) 2 and 3, 4 and 5, and 6 and 7s playing in each of the three parts. I am presently at skill level 4, so I played in the 4s and 5s section. I played my way up to the finals and took 2nd place ($250).

I haven't played Table Tennis ever since I injured my shoulder last Spring, with the resulting surgery a few months later. I guess I over-compensated and now am getting fairly good at Pool. Any other Pool players here, and what do you play?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: All that money Momma gave me for singing lessons...

Postby Bedford » 09 Sep 2007, 23:38

I play pool when given a chance, but nothing more than having someone choose solids and the other stripes, and never for money. Mostly because with pool sticks and axes I can be called Lightning...I never strike the same place twice. :bleh:

Shame about not being able to play ping pong anymore. I used to play in my senior high school, and I had fun with it. But to see an competitive match, and the long distances those players are from the table and still make accurate shots, those players have to be some of the most talented people on the planet. People say it of batters, but those ping pongers are in a league of their own.
Bedford
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby kg » 10 Sep 2007, 16:33

Bedford wrote:...to see an competitive match, and the long distances those players are from the table and still make accurate shots, those players have to be some of the most talented people on the planet. People say it of batters, but those ping pongers are in a league of their own.

While I was not that good of a player, I was fairly competitive at it. I took lessons in 1972 during phase 2 of Nixon's "Ping Pong Diplomacy" from Jack Carr, the then-vice president of the USTTA (now known as the USATT). How that came about is another (long) story. Jack wrote some books on Table Tennis techniques ("As always, Rufford continued penning articles for Topics--doing, for instance, a long write-up of the 1971 Canadian National Exhibition tournament he attended in Toronto that fall, and writing (with USTTA Executive Vice-President Jack Carr) advice on “How To Give An Exhibition”)."...from this page, and "Advanced Table Tennis by Jack Carr - Cornerstone Library (1969)" from this page.)

Anyway, I'm a member of the St Louis TT Club and my rating is 1080, which is not really high, but I have a serve that gives even the over 2000 players a lot of trouble. I can hold my own on a table (well, could, back when I was in practice). I'm getting pretty close to ready to go back at it, but will have to buy all new rubber for my paddles and all (at around $50 per paddle).
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby StVandal » 11 Sep 2007, 03:45

I play pool quite a lot. I've won money from people, but not much. Mostly I hustle frat kids out of a drink or a few bucks. Nothing to write home about. I'm right handed, but I play left handed (which helps my hustle quite a bit). I've been trying to hone up my right handed skills lately, though. Playing with my left just feels way more comfortable.

I've played in a few tournaments.. I've never gotten 1st, though I've never gotten last, either. I usually place around 4th. Sometimes 6th, sometimes 2nd (out of 20 people). I've never been ranked or joined any pool clubs.

I love playing pool. I'm a bartender, so during slow periods I'll shoot a game or three with a customer. There are a few regulars at my bar that are better than me.. I always try to single them out for games. (I've always said that you'll never improve your own game by playing people that are worse than you). I always have a lot of fun playing, even if someone keeps beating me.

I almost always play Vegas 8-ball rules (tournament, or "ball in hand") rules, though I'll play bar if my opponent isn't familiar with them. If I'm playing for money, I prefer 9-ball. It's usually a "friendly" game with $1 for sinking the 5, and $2 for sinking the 9. I also like 3-ball (which is good if the pool is free).

I have a kind of crappy 2-piece stick. It only weighs 18oz (I much prefer a 21oz or even 22oz stick, and yes, 3 or 4 ounces makes all the difference to me), and it's banged up, but it's got character. :grin: My bar manager asked if I play pool when I first started. I said "yeah, I like pool!" so he gave it to me as a "starting gift". I've gotten 100% better in the 3 years I've been working there.
StVandal

Postby pilvikki » 12 Sep 2007, 22:46

Mostly because with pool sticks and axes I can be called Lightning...I never strike the same place twice.

that's me! except i'm pretty good with an axe. axes, however, are frowned upon at pool tables.... at pool i'm so bad that i often win because i totally mess up everybody's game. :lmao4:

punkin once remarked: "for such a coordinated person you sure are lousy at this..."

"well, when i was young, i wasn't hanging out in pool halls, i was busy changing your diapers."

:bleh:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Bedford » 12 Sep 2007, 22:53

Let's face it, feathery wings weren't meant to hold axes. 8-)
Bedford
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Hobbies and Interests