wanna buy a train???

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

wanna buy a train???

Postby pilvikki » 02 Sep 2007, 23:13

i've always loved trains and her would have been my chance but what to do with one; hook her onto a trailer hitch?

Rulla-Pekka 1021 in 1996
Notice the Witte-type smoke deflectors.
Photo by Timo-Pekka Lange
Some of the Hr1's have gained new lives:
1008 and 1016 were sold to England with several other types of steam engines in 1990.

1009 is owned by British enthusiasts or Steam Traction Ltd. It was inspected at Pieksämäki after restauration in England in April 1993.

The roller bearing 1021 was restaured by Finnish enthusiasts and it was inspected for traffic at Pasila depot in Helsinki in May 1996.

Both 1009 and 1021 locomotives run nostalgia trips and festival trips. I in the summer of 1996 on sundays the 1009 ran a regular route Helsinki - Toijala - Helsinki. In the summer of 1997 she ran only 3 scheduled rides Helsinki - Karjaa - Helsinki.

It is possible to rent them with passenger cars for private trips, films, advertisements etc...

Scrapping in silence

On the Haapamäki trainyard in September 1997
In the 1990s the crisis store was abandoned when it was obvious that the engines were rusting and that they no longer could be used in possible crisis. The last 27 engines were hauled to Haapamäki trainyard in 26. May 1991. Four Hr1s were among them.
At Haapamäki the engines are free for all to inspect and they are for sale. Unfortunately the State Railways also started scrapping the locomotives in silence. This to my mind was not exactly a culturally heroic deed. Only after strong protests they gave up the scrapping.

Now rusting away unless you buy her

Now (1997) the 1005 is standing abandoned on the Haapamäki trainyard with fourty other steam engines quietly rusting away getting no protection against weather or vandalism. But they are now for sale.

from here: http://www.elisanet.fi/kurt.ristniemi/WWV/1005/1005.htm

the for sale section is at the bottom.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: wanna buy a train???

Postby Ohlia » 03 Sep 2007, 22:05

Vikk you could buy it then auction it of on Ebay. You might make some money off of it. :think:
Ohlia

Re: wanna buy a train???

Postby pilvikki » 03 Sep 2007, 22:33

i never thought of that!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Hobbies and Interests