anybody into sewing clothes?

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

anybody into sewing clothes?

Postby threenorns » 03 Mar 2008, 08:25

that's what i call saari - chickpea - cause she's very rounded with a cleft up the back side.

i'm adapting an outfit i bought for her. well, not adapting - i'm making a new one that i hope will fit her better.

so far, i've:

• made the waist area wider (cause it fits exactly when she stands up but tightens to a drumskin when she sits down) - i increased it from 11.25" across (22.5" around) to 12.5" across (25" around, based on her sitting-down girth of 24")
  • made the sides at the waist 1/4" longer
  • dropped the bottom of the armhole 1/4" and pulled it in a bit cause i could see it was cutting in under her arm
  • made the skirt wider to match the waist of the top section (it has an empire waist) but left the length - i was going to make it longer and straighter and leave the side seams open to make it a proper kameez for a salwar and kameez outfit but my friend pointed out that if she crawls in a long-skirted outfit, she'll likely embed her face in the floor when she crawls up onto the skirt.
have i done it about right? did i forget anything?
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: anybody into sewing clothes?

Postby pilvikki » 03 Mar 2008, 23:06

make sure that she has room to move her arms around.

on the other hand...

:whistle:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 04 Mar 2008, 21:33

oh, no worries - i made the sleeves extra long.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Mar 2008, 00:25

that's what i was worried about.... :lmao4:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby imbizze » 05 Mar 2008, 06:35

I learned how to sew long ago. But try as I may, I just suck at making alterations other than a quick hem job! Sewing machines and I don't mix!!

I bet you did a fine job!

I think JC Penney sells girls' clothing that's designed for heavier girls....they aren't called "Husky" like boys' clothing is. I forget what the sizes are called. It sure would be so much easier for you if you could find just her size. Good luck to you! ( perhaps they are called Half sizes?)
imbizze

Postby threenorns » 05 Mar 2008, 10:38

we don't have JC Penney and she grows so fast that it's not worth spending money on special fit clothing =(
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby VS~ » 05 Mar 2008, 14:55

I sew fairly proficiently, but I suck at alterations other than hemming or buttons.
I have made entire outfits with less effort than it sounds like you took with Saari's outfit. Altering clothes is about having to RE-make it and it's easier, from my prospective, to cut the darn thing out, pin it, sew it, press it, and it's done.
I learned to sew from my mom who made ALL of my clothes from the time I can remember. I loved that when I was little, but as I got older, I wanted store-bought clothes so badly. Once I got the store-bought clothes, I realized the kind of quality I was giving up to have those, so I learned to sew and made my own clothes for many years. I occasionally get a sewing wild hair and took up quilting several years ago as a form of therapy. It proved to be so therapeudic, that I neglected other things for quilting. Then my near vision crapped out and I do very little in quilting or cross-stitch anymore.
VS~

Postby kg » 03 Dec 2008, 00:04

I think JC Penney sells girls' clothing that's designed for heavier girls....they aren't called "Husky" like boys' clothing is.

Sorry, but I got a chuckle out of that statement. Can you imagine the reaction if the "heavier girl's" clothes were called "Husky?" There would be riots in the stores; after which you would see "Husky" girls walking down the street busting out at the seams because they refused to wear any clothes whose size included the word, "Husky!"

No, I can't sew a straight line without guidance, and afterwards my clothes look like a Frankenstein monster. All I would need was the charging posts.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 04 Dec 2008, 13:07

you have a very valid point....

what about a dress that is a basic A line with a belt that can be adjusted accordingly? cap sleeves that can be grown in?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Jolyna » 05 Feb 2009, 16:56

I can sew on a button and just about manage a hem or two. :oops:
SHameful really but the only sewing I do is cross stitch :sigh:
Jolyna

Postby mamie » 06 Feb 2009, 07:13

Unless you are just doing a simple alteration, like a hem or a button, you have to take proportion into account. Sometimes that is difficult because factory made garments do not offer generous seam allowances. It's often impossible to expand a garment in proportion to its original size. The best bet next time, if the garment is not quite right, is to buy a size larger and 'seam-down' the extra material to be let out later. That will give you an whole extra size to play with.
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Hobbies and Interests