Aqua-Aerobics.

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

Aqua-Aerobics.

Postby MWB » 21 Jan 2011, 15:47

I've started going to our local pool & doing aqua-aerobics. Went 3 times this week & will continue 3 times a week until the pool closes for the winter. (The reason it closes for the winter despite it being indoor & heated, is the building itself isn't heated.)

They're hour sessions & it's fun, hard & knackering.
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Re: Aqua-Aerobics.

Postby kg » 22 Jan 2011, 05:42

Like I said; I'd start doing it, but the water is a bit "hard" right now in this neck of the woods! I'm afraid it would be a bit difficult to move, especially if I was in for too long!

Good for the penguins, though...how about you, Hooch? Feel like a little "Polar Bear" activity? :lol:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Tomsk » 22 Jan 2011, 12:53

that's nice.....not been swimming for yonks.....feel inspired to go now.....
yoga's good too.
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Jan 2011, 17:13

I started going before Christmas Claire, and slipped over! DO wish they'd clean those pools out a bit more regularly. Yuck.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 24 Jan 2011, 11:26

Ice.Maiden wrote:I started going before Christmas Claire, and slipped over! DO wish they'd clean those pools out a bit more regularly. Yuck.

My wife has been enjoying "swim aerobic" classes for years. She has special shoes to wear in the water so that she doesn't lose traction. They look like runners but are mostly rubber and netted.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Jan 2011, 22:01

My children weren't allowed to wear those sort of things when they went in a public pool Yogi, but yes, they'd save some accidents.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby MWB » 28 Jan 2011, 16:34

So you'll start doing aqua-aerobics when the water gets soft, Glenn? ;)

Yeah, Icey, I slip a bit sometimes but not completely over. I do have those sorts of shoes Yogi's wife wears, so I might start wearing them. I wear them in the river so as not to stand on anything that "moves".

Great, Icey. Apart from slipping over, do you enjoy it & are you getting benefit from it?

And Tomsk, did you get inspired enough to go swimming?
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Jan 2011, 21:46

I felt the benefit almost straight away Claire. It tightens your stomach muscles and I loved it, but I've had to shelve it for a while, due to some family problems. I'll definitely go back at some stage though.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 05 Feb 2011, 11:31

swimming is a lovely pastime.....
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby kg » 05 Feb 2011, 22:50

Actually, I don't swim anymore unless I have to. I lived in the New Orleans area during most of the '80s, and most of that had to do with the water. In addition to boat building I also did a lot of commercial fishing. I've seen tens; yay (dare I say it?) hundreds of thousands of pounds of fish!

During those years, I swam as a matter of business. I still have my scuba gear from that time, because occasionally we would get netting stuck in the propellers and would have to be underneath for fairly long periods of time cutting it loose. We even had an air compressor on the boat with which to fill our scuba tanks.

It was a lot of work, to the point that I don't swim anymore because it seems work to me. I haven't even fished for better than 20 years, because I did that for work, too. You might just as soon ask me if I want to go drive a forklift for a little rest and relaxation. I do that at work, too!

Another little related idiosyncrasy of mine is driving. I used to love driving, almost anything you wanted to throw at me. Then I went driving 18 wheelers. Now I hate driving...almost anything! The closest I can come to pleasure driving is my motorcycle, and I'm not all that wild about even that, anymore.

I'm a right mess, aren't I? :shifty:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Feb 2011, 17:08

No Glenn, I understand where you're coming from. I have a lovely car,and miles of beautiful countryside to drive in, but I'm not a natural. I hate driving through towns, and get out of doing so whenever possible.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 07 Feb 2011, 03:01

Thing is, I AM good at it...guess it comes from well over a million miles in 18 wheelers alone. The situation is the same as with swimming and fishing...I've done it so much as work that it seems like work to me and I can't enjoy it like I used to. Let me tell you, people have a hard time understanding!

:sigh:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Feb 2011, 13:10

No, suppose familiarity breeds contempt, sort of thing. You must've travelled so many miles that there's no longer much fun in it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Hobbies and Interests