Google Earth - Interesting Images from Space

Your drawings, your writings, your wood carvings, your arts and crafts - tell us about them all here.

Re: Google Earth - Interesting Images from Space

Postby StVandal » 30 Jan 2008, 16:47

Here's the short tutorial I wrote for Mamasmitty: click here. It's over on the old site.
StVandal

Postby StVandal » 30 Jan 2008, 17:19

The London Bridge, AZ.
[ img ]

Ok, ok, so it's not the London Bridge, it's just a London bridge that they had transported piece by piece and erected in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. They have a little touristy type "London Village" there at the top right where.. well, to be honest, I don't know because I lived in LHC and strayed away from tourist attractions like the plague.
As you can see, the bridge doesn't quite have the same traffic problem now as it had in London back in 1831.
StVandal

Postby kg » 03 Dec 2008, 00:34

I know this is from quite a while back, but here goes:

um... why are the pictures so patchy? green squares, brown squares, dark blue, darker blue...?

I just recently got into Google Earth. The patchy look is due to the satellite imagery being taken at different times of the year (and even different years). Zoom down on the border of a couple (or three) of those patches...you will see that in one, the leaves on the trees are just budding and in the one next to it, there might be snow on the ground.

Mouse over each side of the border and look at the bottom of the screen. Somewhere at the bottom of the screen (I am running Linux, of course...I don't know whether the one for Windows would be different) will be displayed the date the sat photo was taken. When you move to the other side of the border, this date will change, indicating when the photo of that patch was taken.

I'm thinking that they do this quite on purpose, to show the differences in the region during different seasons and even some events, like your erupting volcano (hmmm...I wonder if they have photos like that of Mt Pinatubo? Or maybe the ones in Hawaii?).
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 03 Dec 2008, 23:28

thank you!

i still wonder why the photos are so ancient, as in some 5 years old in our case, yet down the road by some 2-3 miles the images are fresh....?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby StVandal » 08 Dec 2008, 14:22

Unfortunately, my "new" computer is too ancient to handle Google Earth. :(
I definitely miss it.
StVandal

Postby Jolyna » 04 Feb 2009, 14:03

I thought I was a bit of a saddo because I spend hours looking at google earth
Jolyna

Postby pilvikki » 22 Feb 2009, 23:51

i try not to go there too often, i get stuck somewhere in eritria or a mediterranian island or kamchatka or...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Previous

Return to Hobbies and Interests