Save Marius!

Tell us your animal stories. Give and receive advice about pets.

Save Marius!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Feb 2014, 19:06

Awww, this poor 18 month old healthy young giraffe's due to be put down today (Sunday), as the zoo says it has no room for him. Despite at least 2 zoos offering to have him, they seem unable to understand why everyone's making such a fuss about it. :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Save Marius!

Postby Tomsk » 08 Feb 2014, 21:18

This is preposterous and murderous wild animals should be left in their own environment..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Feb 2014, 21:35

I can understand animals being in captivity when they're safer there, or liable to extinction, but yes, they could breed them and then let them back into the wild, as they do with some chimps.

Fancy going to kill Marius - and then feed him to other animals!!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 08 Feb 2014, 23:47

:shock: :naughty: :snoot:
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Feb 2014, 08:21

Tomsk!!! You read me wrongly. I said: "Fancy going to kill Marius ..." meaning - how COULD they. Well they are, unless someone steps in to save him - today. He's probably ... already gone by now. The cruel devils! : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Feb 2014, 12:54

Oh "well done" Copenhagen zoo! :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935

Funny how a zoo in the UK offered to take him - and yet Longleat Safari Park's just put down 6 lions as well, because there was a 40% increase in cubs being born.

Makes me sick.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 09 Feb 2014, 22:21

terrible ....sad
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Feb 2014, 06:35

It is. I could understand it if the poor thing'd been very ill. What excuse've they got when others offered to give it a home?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 10 Feb 2014, 12:08

i feel sick. the gently creature had a public execution in front of all those kids.

the giraffe is squeaki's favourite animal, i cannot fathom what would have happened.....

i can't, i just can't
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby pilvikki » 10 Feb 2014, 16:38

and here we hear from the director:

The decision to kill Marius caused a storm of protest from animal rights organisations, but the zoo points out that it is following the rules of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, which aim to reduce inbreeding.

"This giraffe's genes are well represented in the breeding programme and there is no place for the giraffe in the zoo's giraffe herd, " says Bengt Holst, scientific director of the zoo.

"This is a situation that we know from other group animals that breed well. When breeding success increases it is sometimes necessary to euthanise."

he said he was proud of his decision to educate the young on giraffe anatomy as it's not the same in pictures.

why don't we just shoot people for medical school? starting with zoo directors.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Feb 2014, 17:42

Oh - how marvellous! :(

So the poor giraffe not only ended up dead for no good reason, and as food for other zoo animals - but he was used like a science experiment in front of children as well! It's horrific.

[ img ]
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 11 Feb 2014, 03:27

It's bad enough that we keep animals in captivity for human entertainment. But to kill a young, healthy animal after he'd been offered an alternate home, and then, to make it a freaking "spectator" sport where even the children watched?? Yeah, these are a bunch of sick, sick bastards...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Feb 2014, 13:41

They kill 20 - 30 other large animals a year as well, Brandtrn. I suppose when the "excess" start costing them money or they outgrow their "attractiveness", it's a case of: Oh well, put it down.

Marius's brother's in a UK zoo and thriving. His sibling could've been brought here as well.

I hate zoos with a passion, but wildlife parks're generally thought of as being OK because they have a lot more room for the animals to wander around. If numbers in the wild're being threatened, I can understand setting up breeding programmes, as's been successfully done with chimps - which're then released back into the wild again - but obviously the welfare of some animals isn't even considered.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Feb 2014, 16:46

and omg the righteous blather about "do you eat meat?" to every argument!

:thunder:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Feb 2014, 18:29

That's true.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Feb 2014, 16:43

i think the danish zoo keepers have lost their effin minds:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/12/second-giraffe-marius-risk-denmark-zoo

the arguments paul watson, a sea shepherd captain is getting everything thrown at him for lambasting the zoo for this. they bring in the meat eaters, the captital punishment in some states, the wars in the middle east, as if any of that has anything to do with him.

people make me ill.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Feb 2014, 20:05

So the zoo keeper at Jyllands Park says: ""We thought it was amusing that there was another Marius among the giraffes when there aren't that many giraffes in Denmark overall."

It's "amusing" is it? Ho ho ho - a second giraffe called Marius. I'm so glad that she can discuss the euthanised animal so glibly, but then - he's history, and she "doesn't care" about the worldwide furore that the unfortunate animal's caused, because if Marius No. 2's to be put down - then so be it, it seems. I assume that also means that if a "suitable" female's found for breeding, any surplus male youngsters'll eventually be killed as well?

It's outrageous. Sweden offered to find a home for Marius, as did several other countries. I think Copenhagen zoo - along with any others who practice this unnecessary cruelty - should be closed down. If their sole purpose's to breed, then slaughter their excess animals, they're not considering them at all.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Feb 2014, 07:15

right.

have i got this straight: marius was killed because they had too many males of his line.

they have another surplus male they'll kill to make room for a breeding female.

:shock:

wtf is wrong with these people? maybe they're starting a new reality series Watching Giraffes Die.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Feb 2014, 14:40

Yes, that's basically it.

Marius's genes "added nothing" to the breeding programme, so he became "surplus". Future youngsters'll no doubt suffer the same fate.

In all honesty though, it makes me question OTHER zoos? The second one's already admitted that they do it, and Marius 2 might have to go, but what I can't understand, is why, when offers of re-homing poured in, the zoo didn't accept one? The reason, it seems to me, is that they could save money by feeding the giraffe meat to the lions, and give some gory members of the public a "science lesson". I can't agree with any of it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Feb 2014, 15:04

indeed, marius was worth more dead than alive because he was now past the cutesy stage and heading for adulthood.

what logic! giraffes are cute at any age so that doesn't wash either.

i went to the vet to pick up some meds for lucy and he has this clock with giraffes on it. i right away saw marius and got all upset anew.

still, paul watson did mention the fact that poor marius has now brought into question what exactly is going on at these zoos, so he didn't die in vain.

i certainly hope so!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Next

Return to Pets and Animals