Guilty pleasures?

Post games you invented or games you found online for us to play. Serious gamers are encouraged to discuss their PC and gamebox interests.
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Image posting guidelines can be found HERE.

Guilty pleasures?

Postby brandtrn » 28 Jan 2012, 19:08

I'm wondering if any of my new-BF friends are suffering from any game "addictions." My current "guilty pleasures" is the Zynga game "Zuma Blitz," which can be played for free on the Facebook site, and on which I've wasted countless hours within the past several weeks :oops: This, after I've finally weaned myself away from my previous favorite, the Sims 3! I DO need to stay away from those computer games...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Guilty pleasures?

Postby Yogi » 29 Jan 2012, 00:59

I used to be a Farmville addict on Farcebook. Then I learned how Zynga really operates. When you sign up for the game you are giving them permission to raid your Facebook profile and use whatever information they can find in there, such as where you live, what schools you went to, where you work, who your friends are, etc, etc, etc.. That information is used to target advertising to you anywhere you go on the Internet. Actually anywhere their "affiliates" track demographics. Well, if you don't like being tracked that closely, tough bananas. When you quite the game they keep the data and can still sell it to their affiliates. Same goes if you manage to figure out how to delete (not disable) your Facebook account. Zynga gets to keep all your personal information, as do their partners.

I want to keep a presence on Facebook just to keep track of friends and family. But, due to their intrusive business model, I've altered my profile a bit. My real name is no longer there, nor are there any photographs of me. Check out my work and schooling if you want to get a real laugh. I also tend to "Like" things (also a marketing ploy) that are totally irrelevant to my interests, Brainformation being the only exception. I don't mind if they know about us and spread the word to other people.

So ... I guess my guilty pleasure is finding out what is going on in reality and then devising ways to mess up the system. :lmao1:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 29 Jan 2012, 13:40

I used to be a Farmville addict on Farcebook. Then I learned how Zynga really operates. When you sign up for the game you are giving them permission to raid your Facebook profile and use whatever information they can find in there, such as where you live, what schools you went to, where you work, who your friends are, etc, etc, etc..

:shock: I play Farmville Yogi as my nieces play it, thought it was safe. Well that will be getting deleted.

I'm addicted to Bejewelled brandtrn, on the computer and on my phone! :oops:
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 29 Jan 2012, 13:50

Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Yogi » 30 Jan 2012, 09:52

Sandra wrote: :shock: I play Farmville Yogi as my nieces play it, thought it was safe. Well that will be getting deleted.

Deleting the game will not remove your history from their data banks, sad to say. However, the only security risk is that they are very intrusive regarding your life on the Internet. Most people are unaware of how closely they are being tracked.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 31 Jan 2012, 10:08

Yogi wrote:

Deleting the game will not remove your history from their data banks, sad to say. However, the only security risk is that they are very intrusive regarding your life on the Internet. Most people are unaware of how closely they are being tracked.

Well they won't be getting anything else from me. I've actually got rid of all of the games I had on FB. Didn't play them anyway, apart from Farmville! Thanks Yogi :love:

That looks addictive Wonderbunny. I love word puzzles!
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Games People Play