Can this really work?

Tell us what's happening in your part of the world.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Can this really work?

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Sep 2014, 20:08

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29356627

Imagine if this practice was used everywhere. It'd create chaos.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Can this really work?

Postby pilvikki » 25 Sep 2014, 07:23

I don't think so... I worked in a typical union environment where one was practically a prisoner of both the union and the company. it was not the quality of your work that counted, but that you were ready to start working before the morning whistle stopped screeching and your drill gun could still be heard along with the whistle signaling breaks.

ironically, most of these people had to have their work snagged and fixed... while some of us 'lazy' people were trusted to inspect our own jobs, sign them off and the inspector would meander by and stamp the paperwork in passing.

so, who saves more time in the end?

in fact, i'm betting people will work harder knowing they can then take off when it's done. and refreshed they'll again work harder.

in many places in Canada you have work for 12 years before getting a measly 2 week vacation. :roll: , in the states I believe there is no mandatory vacation schedule at all?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Sep 2014, 08:27

Good grief!

Over here, everyone gets the statutory Bank Holidays off, but if doctors, nurses etc., need to be on call, they usually get paid double time/time off in lieu. Most companies honour holidays that've already been booked by new employees, and the usual holiday time's about 22 days a year, which mostly rise on service.

I understand what you said about when you worked in a union environment, although it's still slightly different over here, but what I can't see working, is if everyone took a leaf out of Richard's books, important jobs could go wanting.

Imagine if school teachers, doctors, government departmental staff, bus and train drivers, air traffic controllers - all decided they didn't fancy turning up for a few weeks! Some places could be left without staff, and people reliant on them'd be left in the lurch.

Richard employs a lot of people, whose jobs can obviously be tackled - or left - by others, but I honestly don't see how this could work in the usual everyday run of things.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 27 Sep 2014, 11:03

when punkin was driving a bus in Mississauga, they always had 'spare' people for things like a driver suddenly unable to get in on time, being off sick, bus broken down and vacations!

in Canada you do get statutory holidays off after 3 months but not much in the way of vacations. we had plant shut down for 3 weeks in summer. you got holiday pay + paid if you worked as well , triple time and half at Christmas f. ex, good for those who didn't qualify for vacation yet. however... and here's where the union fairness comes into question: any potential time worked on holiday schedule was allotted by seniority. so, the old employees got the extra time/money, the new hires didn't. and trust me, the old guys had to have that extra income!

erm... don't get me started....

I think the key was "as long as their work was done". can hardly expect a surgeon suddenly decide to go to aruba while his patient is on the table... :lol: but perhaps a few days would help out a detective who's about to burn out trying to crack a case?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Sep 2014, 17:17

Yes, I'm not saying that it's impossible, depending on the nature of the jobs involved, but if half of the workforce decided to take several weeks off without explanation, maybe they wouldn't have the spare staff to take over, or ones otherwise engaged'd soon start moaning if they had their own job lot to do plus someone else's. It could possibly work in some factories or driving jobs, but not where specific, necessary skills're required - e.g., surgeons. We haven't got enough to cover the amount of work as it is, and if several decided to swan off at once, it'd cause fatal delays.

Certain jobs within companies could be covered by the remaining staff, but what if another dozen or more decided to take a break the very next day? Orders wouldn't get processed, sales'd drop, there'd be a backlog of work - which couldn't possibly work within Benefits/Pensions Departments, etc.

I think it's very nice that some people have a boss like Richard, but he can obviously afford to make allowances for absenteeism, and either has trained staff to fall back on or a surplus that could cope with the extra work.
Last edited by Ice.Maiden on 28 Sep 2014, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 27 Sep 2014, 22:58

Yes, it ruddy well could work....
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Sep 2014, 15:32

Well my OH agrees with me that it couldn't.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to In Other News