America Verses Its Own

Tell us what's happening in your part of the world.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

America Verses Its Own

Postby Yogi » 15 Aug 2014, 10:43

Two black people were killed by local police recently. John Crawford was shot while playing with a toy gun in an Ohio Walmart. Michael Brown was stopped in Fuguson, Missouri, for reasons yet unknown and shot in the back by police. I will admit that this web site has few Americans participating here these days, but the irony of Robin Williams' suicide being lamented after these two police killings have been totally ignored in this forum is somewhat shocking.

The linked article from AlJazeera asks where is the Tea Party and the NRA to protect the liberties of us Americans? Why have they not descended upon Furguson to rally against the police state tactics? The indictment is clear: neither the Tea Party nor the NRA care about black people.

As an American, the commentary in the article is easy to brush off. After all, it's being published by people who do not live here nor have any sense of patriotism for this country. They are foreigners. However, the truth in their final conclusion is brutally correct. It's no longer a matter of political agenda, nor blacks verses whites. What is going on today clearly is a case of Americans vs Americans.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 71476.html
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: America Verses Its Own

Postby Tomsk » 15 Aug 2014, 12:00

this is madness...
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Aug 2014, 12:34

It certainly is, but if the Americans, AND us, wish to arm various people, it's going to come back in our faces. I hadn't heard about these shootings until Yogi posted, and yes, it's worse than lamenting Robin Williams' demise, yet no murder or suicide's good.

I personally don't like to enter into the politics behind situations like this, especially foreign affairs with which I'm not too familar, but it seems to me that questions need to be asked. WHY is this happening, and how come the police're allowed to get away with such things?

I agree with you Tomsk - no gun's a good gun, but sadly, the people behind them're the culprits.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 09 Sep 2014, 04:45

Hasn't it always been that way.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Sep 2014, 15:38

Yes, you're right. It's about time people were educated and learnt to get along with each other, but human nature being what it is, weapons're considered not only necessary to frighten or kill the enemy, but for those with power-mad or murderous tendencies as well.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to In Other News