Bikers Rally In New York

Tell us what's happening in your part of the world.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Bikers Rally In New York

Postby Yogi » 03 Oct 2013, 09:55

If you want to see something extremely scary regarding road rage, then view the video attached to this article. I don't know who is to blame, but the biker's rally was not authorized, and apparently the drive of the SUV in the video was ticked off enough to take matters into his own hands. He paid the price for confronting a few hundred riders and the police are still trying to sort out who is responsible for what.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 23392.html
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Bikers Rally In New York

Postby Ice.Maiden » 03 Oct 2013, 11:08

Wow. I'd say it was six of one and half a dozen of another.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Paris » 03 Oct 2013, 22:07

Scary.

The spokesperson for the police says all factors will be taken into consideration before charging the SUV driver with anything.

Looks to me that the motorcyclists who were involved in the attempt to intimidate the driver got what they deserved.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Oct 2013, 07:20

The SUV drove right up behind a biker in front of him. The rider even turned to look - then the car went into the back of him from how it looks.

Smashing the windows of the vehicle wasn't good at all, so I'd say both were to blame, but for different reasons.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 04 Oct 2013, 12:20

The whole idea of that biker rally was illegal from the get go. The bikers were trying to block off the highway so that they would have sole control of it. The SUV driver should not have run over the cyclist, but we don't know what went on to provoke the incident. I'm sure the police will find out.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 04 Oct 2013, 15:07

The driver feared for the life of his baby and wife. Enough said.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Oct 2013, 18:39

Over here, bike rallies are somewhat different to in the US. Every weekend throughout the year, one goes off somewhere. They can be impromptu or organised, and usually entail riding to a designated site (farmers and publicans'll allow bikers to camp up on their land providing they don't leave a mess, and the motorbike crew respect that).

I think it was very wrong if the car ran into or knocked a rider onto the road. If that happened to one of your friends or colleagues, it'd make YOU angry as well, but to smash the car in was also very wrong. Must've been terrifying. I'm sure the police'll decide who's to blame.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Paris » 04 Oct 2013, 21:38

The driver feared for the safety of his child, his wife, and himself -- in that order. He was attacked, or was about to be -- so he did what I would do. -- he tried to get his family to safety. It didn't matter to him whether or not one of the a**holes got hurt -- it was his family he was concerned about.

What gets me is the TV coverage of the girlfriend of the a**hole who got run over. (Cue the tears) "sob! He'll be paralyzed for life! He didn't do anything wrong! Everyone feels sorry for the guy who ran him over! That's not right! "
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Oct 2013, 06:33

It's difficult, Paris. I'm making no judgement on either side. Let us know what's decided in the future. Obviously at least one lot are to blame, and I truly can't decide from the video who started it or exactly how the guy came to be knocked off his bike. The vid didn't give enough info to be sure of events.

Whatever, yes, when you have children involved, your first thought's going to be for them, then your partner. It could scar the kids for life. I know I'd have nightmares if my car was attacked. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 06 Oct 2013, 13:56

If you watch the first part of the video closely, you'll notice the biker who got hit passing the SUV and looking very intently into the driver side window(s). While that wouldn't particularly intimidate me, another might find it so, especially someone who had his wife and young child with him. The biker passes, then looks to his left and behind at the camera, and abruptly slows down.

We don't really know what happened previous to this video segment...what other actions that might have prompted concern from the driver of the SUV finding himself surrounded by a sea of bikes, but I can't help but think that he was subjected to some level of harassment. He was likely looking around at other bikes and wasn't able to slow down in time to avoid hitting the bike. I can't see him hitting the bike on purpose, and upon being subject to the anger of the other bikers, he panicked and did what was necessary (in his mind) to get his family to safety.

In my opinion, the bikers were totally at fault. They harassed the SUV; the biker who was hit made the wrong moves, causing the crash; and the bikers took the law into their own hands, chased the SUV down, and meted out punishment. It is the police who should have made the arrest, but that wasn't about to happen, was it? What the bikers were doing was illegal--taking over the road, in effect--and they knew what the court would find.

It's bikers like this who give a bad name to all bikers. Most of the bike clubs I've been associated with wouldn't think of doing such things, but unfortunately, there are clubs who think they've got to "out-bad" the Hell's Angels or the Outlaws. There are many clubs which not only don't engage in these activities, but perform positive community services. Those are noted and promptly forgotten; it is only the bad deeds that are remembered.

Those bikers were nothing but a gang of bullies, and they got what they deserved. I can only hope the court will see fit to deliver the rest.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Oct 2013, 14:31

Yes, we have no idea of events which might've taken place before we saw the vid.

Had I been the driver of the SUV, I'd have pulled over or waved the bikers past me. If I'd been surrounded, I think I'd have just driven slowly, whilst getting my partner to call the police.

Not a good scene at all, and you're right Glenn, one group of bikers can give the rest a bad name. Seems like this particular lot were looking to start trouble one way or another, but they have as much right on the road as anyone else. When chapters - or just bike club members get a big group of riders together, it's obvious that they're not going to ride in sedate single file. It was the car driver's job to keep his eyes fixed on the road and not to drive too fast in CASE of clipping a bike, and if that was impossible, he was better off stopping until he was behind them all.

Having said that, since we don't know what mighht've happened beforehand - if anything at all - it was a pretty nasty attack of road rage.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Paris » 07 Oct 2013, 00:48

Those bikers were/are thugs. Thugs have no concept of "play well with others." It would not have mattered WHAT the SUV driver did -- the thugs were out to intimate and wreak havoc. And probably even rough up a few citizens just on general principle.

It is now coming out that there were undercover police officers on motorcycles there whose task was to blend in and observe. That none of them broke their cover and attempted to intervene during the attack is being investigated by their precinct.

This whole thing was not about an attack of road rage. This whole thing was about a group of thugs who had already committed crimes that day and were primed and ready to do more.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Oct 2013, 07:15

I didn't know they'd committed other crimes that day Paris, which rather says a lot about some of them, doesn't it? However, we can't surmise that they'd rough up a few citizens for the hell of it - unless they'd been known to do so beforehand.

A relative of mine, who was quite a wealthy man, decided to walk away from it all, and ended up joining a motorbike club. He's still a member, and they frequently go on rallies. No unpleasant incidences've ever been heard about this gang of bikers - bikes are their hobby (almost their life), and as Glenn said, they do quite a lot of charity work as well as hold down responsible jobs in most cases.

I have no particular judgement either way. The driver and family in the car suffered a terrifying ordeal. The biker (who may or may not be paralysed after coming off his bike) also suffered.

If there was a police presence, they'd have observed what really happened, in which case the decision should be forthcoming in the near future?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 09 Oct 2013, 02:51

Looks like the bike that started it all deliberately braked in front of the Range Rover, the guy then couldn't help but hit him from behind. But I think if V and Jack were in the car and I was surrounded by bikers i'd do the same thing. Use my car as a weapon, damn right I would to protect my family!
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Oct 2013, 18:03

Nasty incident all round.

I can remember limping into Watford Gap services. The tyre had a puncture in it, and I was wondering what to do when a gang of Hell's Angels drove in. It unnerved me, seeing so many bikers pull up and surround me, but the guys were brilliant. They changed the tyre in no time, and told me to have a good day. A happy ending, unlike the story above.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 10 Oct 2013, 04:22

Hey, I ride a bike. Call it a mid life thing, V does. ;) So bikers are not bad, they're just normal people riding bikes. But as with everything in life you get the bad apples who spoil it for everyone else.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Oct 2013, 11:16

Yes, I agree with you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to In Other News