et tu AT&T?

Tell us what's happening in your part of the world.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

et tu AT&T?

Postby Yogi » 02 Sep 2013, 14:42

Does it bother you that AT&T has been keeping meta data records about every phone call made over its network for the past 27 years? They know who called who, how long the call lasted, and when it was made. In the last decade they have been doing the same with cell phones and including location in their database. It's said that this database is larger than than kept by the NSA's who keeps track of every phone call in the USA. Would you be concerned if you knew people like the DEA taps into this database to catch drug dealers? Is it really such a big deal?

BIG BROTHER: http://www.dailydot.com/politics/att-he ... -metadata/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: et tu AT&T?

Postby Paris » 04 Sep 2013, 03:48

YES! IT BOTHERS ME! And worst of all, there's nothing I can do about it except to become a hermit!!!!
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Sep 2013, 05:43

Yes, I think it IS a big deal.

The snooping's on the increase in the UK as well, and whilst it may be a good thing to help catch those involved in criminal activity, the personal info's being sold to all and sundry and so that government offices - Social Security, Child Benefits, pensions, etc., can spy into anyone's and everyone's personal life. Why do you think they do it? They're building dossiers on us all, and've admitted that the British census forms were designed to purposely glean information about a person's lifestyle and habits - i..e. what newspapers you might read, etc. (as if that has anything at all to do with the population count!). Their excuse's that this info's helpful in making sure that the right resources are in the right areas (e.g. schools, libraries, public transport) - as if anyone believes their transparent twaddle. There's no money to increase these services anyway, so what's the point of making out there is?

In the long-term, I believe that they want to know where any individual is, at any given time, so that folk can be monitored and labelled as "useful to society", or not. Don't think this's far-fetched. Ideas on these lines from back in the 80's are slowly being implemented, so as Those Who Must be Obeyed have full control.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 16 Sep 2013, 06:55

Ahhhh ... the good ol' conspiracy theory. Good to see it's practice is still alive and well. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Sep 2013, 16:06

Perhaps. Time'll tell, but if we all just sit back and allow these invasions of privacy, we soon won't be able to breathe without permission.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to In Other News