Energy crisis

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Energy crisis

Postby Wonderbunny » 26 Jan 2015, 15:16

Watched the latest Prof. Brian Cox offering the other day. All about how the race is on to produce energy from nuclear fusion. Apparently it's our only hope because of impossible amounts of solar panels that would have to be erected per second for the next 20 years and similarly impossible requirements needed to fulfil our needs using other energy sources.

But what wasn't mentioned was that we need to drastically reduce our energy consumption. Radical changes to our lifestyles are needed, starting with the biggest energy burner: air travel. Most air travel is an unnecessary luxury. Someone it going to have to lay down the law and say that we can't continue to just take take take and damn the consequences.

We're intelligent enough to sort it but probably won't, until it's too late.
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Energy crisis

Postby AJRC » 29 Jan 2015, 06:05

A person can be intelligent, people are stupid. People won't change, people will only change when they have no other choice.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Jan 2015, 13:50

Some guy's apparently wanting to erect solar panels on the moon. He reckons that after the initial outlay of setting them up, permanent energy could be beamed back to earth.

I have no time for nuclear energy. It's portrayed as being clean and cheap. When have you known ANY electricity to be cheap? Those who build the reactors have to recap their investment, and I sincerely doubt that consumers'd see a massive difference in their household or business bills.

I also think it poses more than a few dangers, what with leaks and possible terrorist attacks.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 30 Jan 2015, 05:38

The only way we'll ever get cheap energy is when we harness fusion power, but it's still a long way off i think.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Jan 2015, 11:48

This sort of energy production's already being looked into. I believe a reactor's been - or is being - built in the south of France.

Even so, although fusion's got to be better than nuclear fission, there're still some radioactive particles involved.

Am I naive to think that, as an island, hydro electric power's got to be the way for us to go? Tides're constant, and I can't see how it wouldn't work to produce all the electricity that we'd ever need - or is it a case of, once such production might be up and running, the big energy companies wouldn't be making the profits that they are now?

I know this wouldn't help everyone, but for the UK, surely it'd be sensible to utilise what's flowing all around us?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 01 Feb 2015, 13:29

Trouble is the people who make lots of money out of power stations don't want a cheap plentiful energy source. They want a scarce resource that they can control.
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Feb 2015, 14:51

As above, I agree with you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Political Issues