Amazed - in a bad way.

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Amazed - in a bad way.

Postby Wonderbunny » 22 Jun 2014, 04:13

These examples of the excesses of the super rich actually make me feel physically ill.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/things-you-will-only-see-in-dubai
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Amazed - in a bad way.

Postby Yogi » 22 Jun 2014, 10:14

I'm sure they get sick when they think about us too.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Jun 2014, 16:14

I don't like the way they keep lions and tigers as "pets", but apart from that, and the obvious opulence that's simply a vulgar show of wealth, if these people have so much money, then it's up to them how they spend it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 22 Jun 2014, 16:46

I just find it hard to stomach that's all.
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Jun 2014, 09:09

I know what you mean, but when £000,000's don't matter, I think it's just a massive show-off. Tons of money, but no class.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 25 Jun 2014, 08:56

I agree with you, Ice Maiden. Definitely no class, but hey, I'm sure that people like that don't give a hairy rat's ass about what us "common" folk think about them. I guess if one has a few million $$$ one doesn't know what to do with, one could take a few ideas from these...I'd like to think that if I had that much extra cash, I might try to make the world a better place with it, but who knows how self-indulgent I might be if I ever had the chance???
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 25 Jun 2014, 14:56

the pets really bugged me, the arrogance of those guys was beyond.

still, in the end, the excesses become commonplace and totally lose their value and then they have to top that and...

:shrug:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Jun 2014, 15:25

Precisely. Those animals may be pampered in human terms, but they belong in the wild. It's unnatural for them to be ferried around in cars and have diamond-studded collars on them, or whatever. : (
Then as you rightly say, the extravagance of these billionaires becomes meaningless, so what do they do to show off after that?

I agree with you as well brandtrn. I do as much as I can for charities, blah blah, but if I had money to the extent that these people do, I'd try and improve even more lives. Mind you, I'm sure I'd treat myself to a few über extravagances as well, just for the fun of it!

Have to add, that I was rolling when I watched a bit of one of the American Housewives episodes a few days back.
A couple of the women were driving along, when one of them pointed out a wind turbine and asked the other what it was. Her friend said it was something to do with snow. Mwhahahaha!!!! Rich and stupid springs to mind.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 03 Jul 2014, 06:30

Depends how they got their money. If they've worked hard for it then i think they're entitled to spend it anyway they want, they've earned that privilege. I agree money can make people arrogant, to the point of ridiculousness. If they've inherited it then yes they'll tend to spend it on things no normal person would even dream of spending money on, i mean who in their right mind wants a tiger! If they've married into it you can almost guarantee they'll be borderline brain dead, a millionaire wants someone who looks good on his arm, a brain is not a prerequisite.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Jul 2014, 20:45

I agree that people can spend their money how they want, but some of the extravagances're beyond comprehension. There's no need for solid gold taps or bedsteads. It's just for show; a vulgar opulence - BUT, if that makes someone happy, then so be it.

I don't necessarily agree that either inheriting wads of cash or marrying into it makes a person stupid though. It depends on the sort of person you're talking about. Take as an instance, that young guy from Norfolk who won millions on the lottery a few years back. He obviously had no intelligence, and spent like the money was going out of fashion because he wasn't used to it. It wasn't just that. He wanted to show off, and now he's ended up with nothing. I'm sure he had a great time spending it all, but if there's no brain there in the first place, any amount of money's going to be wasted.

In the case of marrying into wealth, again, it depends on the person who's got it. Someone with old money's hardly likely to marry an airhead. Someone accumulating a new stash by means fair or foul MIGHT be tempted to have a trophy wife, but who's really the stupid one?

The fact is, as soon as someone opens their mouth, it's obvious whether they have anything about them or not.

I don't begrudge anyone who has money, whether they've worked hard for it or inherited it, but it's what they do with it that counts. People who're used to it or know how to handle it don't go shouting about it. The women on the "Housewives" programmes live on a knife edge. There's always someone younger and prettier waiting in the wings, and the rich husbands know it as well. I find that kind of addiction to wealth pretty vulgar and useless, but that's the world they live in, where money and show create a certain status. I suppose the same goes for the mega-rich people who want to drive round with tigers in their cars as well.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Political Issues