Is American politics broken?

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Is American politics broken?

Postby AJRC » 02 Oct 2013, 03:40

It's a question the BBC asked yesterday, how can such a great nation go into governmental meltdown like this? It seems the teabaggers are going for one last try of gaining complete control of the GOP, and unfortunately for any true conservative it looks like they're succeeding. The teabaggers are now holding the entire nation to ransom to try and force their policies through, but this can only hurt the GOP. True conservatives don't want these right wing extremists to take over, but until the true conservatives start objecting then things like this will happen again.

Political analysts have said a simple floor vote would have solved this, but the teabaggers told Boehner if he did allow a floor vote, they'd depose him and elect another Speaker. The GOP are showing that government can be brought to a complete standstill, but do they honestly think this will help them? They could well lose the house in the next election because of stunts like this, surely they must know this. Political extortion will not go down well with the people, ok so the loonies and the loony sites are blaming Democrats for this, but the general public are blaming the teabaggers. Boehner is just a puppet of the teabaggers now, true conservatives have to do something and demand the house takes action.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Is American politics broken?

Postby Paris » 02 Oct 2013, 05:13

So that's what is truly happening. I turned off the TV before I learned the whole story. I felt too enraged to put up with anything more. Members of the GOP (who love the Citizens United ruling) had better stop obstructing every single thing the Democratic party members put forth or their modus operendi will eventually be noticed by all but the dumbest voters. And isn't / wasn't it the Republicans who insisted that Social Security benefits are entitlements?
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Oct 2013, 05:45

Oh gosh.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 07 Oct 2013, 06:09

Today, Lockheed Martin, have put 3,000 workers on unpaid leave because of the shut down. 3,000 workers not getting paid for one, two, maybe three weeks. Who knows maybe even longer! United Technologies' on Thursday put 2,000 workers on unpaid leave. And it'll only get worse the longer this drags on. Those people are voters, i'm pretty sure they'll be pissed at government right about now.

Shutting down the government is not a fiscal way of dealing with any economy, it's just a childish form of blackmail using the American public as pawns. If the UK government ever shut down i'd be pretty pissed off too.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 09 Oct 2013, 03:26

More and more people are coming forward to say was an asshat Boehner is, even on some of the moderate right wing blogs. The general consensus is that he's desperately holding onto his speakership job and to hell with the economy or the American public. In polls, even people who hate Obamacare, are opposed to the shutdown to oppose it. If Boehner keeps his job after this then the teabaggers have taken over, and true conservatives will have lost control of the GOP.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 09 Oct 2013, 04:42

It's about time Republi-fans have opened their eyes and realized their representatives on the hill would rather be obstructionists and posture, rather than work for a better economy.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby AJRC » 14 Oct 2013, 09:19

I think there are still some good conservatives out there, well as good as politicians can be. But it's the far right, the loonies, who seem to be in control of the GOP at the moment. I shudder to think what America will become if they get their wish of a Palin or a Cruz in the WH.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 14 Oct 2013, 10:00

So ... what you and the Guardian is telling me is that less than 10% of the Republicans (the Tea Party) have more power than all the Democrats and 90% of the Republican party.

I'd have to think about that one before I consider it credible. :think:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 21 Oct 2013, 06:34

So are you saying it was conservatives who caused the shutdown? It's conservatives who are now attacking the teabaggers, blaming them for the shutdown. They claim it was the teabagger lawmakers refusal to bend that caused all the problems. It's also conservatives who are calling on voters to vote out the teabaggers from the House in the 2014 mid-terms. The rift between the conservatives and the teabaggers is at an all time high, with a civil war in the GOP a distinct possibility.

And you should know a minority can make the loudest noise. Four years ago the teabaggers were a tiny speck of influence, now they control high positions of power in the GOP. Herman Cain, and Michele Bachmann ran for President in 2012. Ted Cruz, Paul Rand, and possibly, hopefully, Palin will run in 2016. All prominent members of the teaparty. The teaparty also have a lot of influential Senators on their side. The Nazi Party or German Workers' Party as it was known to begin with, was very small with hardly any influence. Look what happened there!
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Political Issues