Ah well, here we go ..

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Ah well, here we go ..

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Jun 2012, 06:18

Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Ah well, here we go ..

Postby Tomsk » 16 Jun 2012, 18:25

that#s gotta be a good thing..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby kg » 17 Jun 2012, 17:34

To be quite frank, such already happens with regularity in many different countries, the U.K. included. I perceive this is just an attempt to totally legitimize it.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 18 Jun 2012, 06:09

I agree, kg. It's been going on for ages, it's just now they're going public with it so it's gets passed into law. We've had freedom on the internet for a long time, but all good things must come to an end. Lots of laws will be coming into affect in the next few years that will mean you can't say and do what you want on the internet anymore. To some it's a good thing, to others it's an attack on our freedoms.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 19 Jun 2012, 06:35

I had to read through four posts on this thread before I was able to determine what this topic is about. :roll:

Once again the gross misunderstanding of what the Internet is all about can be seen in this article. The critics who feel privacy is being abused by monitoring what is going on in public are missing the point. The Internet, and the airwaves for mobile phones, are not privately owned by anyone. Monitoring communications on the public net is not like putting cameras and microphones in every bedroom in England. Get over it people! What you put on the Internet is public domain and any claims to privacy of the Internet are delusional. If you don't want to be watched by Big Brother, or Theresa May, then stay off the public network.

Same goes for the airwaves we all use for communicating with our mobile devices. It's a long recognized principle that anybody can listen in to what is broadcast over the air - there is no way to stop them after all. The existing laws regulating privacy are merely aimed at what you do with and about what you hear. Monitoring has always been done and if you think your phone calls cannot be heard by any high school kid with the right scanner equipment, then you too are delusional.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 19 Jun 2012, 10:38

Monitoring has always been done and if you think your phone calls cannot be heard by any high school kid with the right scanner equipment, then you too are delusional.

not lately, but there have been some truly interesting phone calls, not just overheard, but broadcast over the radio...

as in, hmm.. you're on a cruise on the norway queen... having a great time.... and don't tell your wife, eh? gee... i wonder if your wife is listening to this station...? :roll:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 20 Jun 2012, 07:23

My point is that listening to what is broadcast over the public air waves or keeping track of what is published on the Internet cannot be regulated effectively. There is no real privacy in the public domain.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 21 Jun 2012, 06:06

I agree. Governments might think they can police the internet but they all find it's impossible. They can monitor it, but they can't really stop anyone posting anything they like. Take all the file sharing sites, the regulatory body thought they'd killed file sharing when they killed Napster but a thousand file sharing sites took it's place. The internet is there for all to use and post and do what we like, within reason. And governments hate this. :cool2:
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 21 Jun 2012, 08:37

The Internet is wildly successful because it is not controlled by any government or business corporation. It's one of the few phenomena in this modern world that is owned by the people, all 7 billion of us. Because the public network is absolutely grass roots, you will see every possible manifestation of mankind therein. The good, the bad, and the ugly are all there, and none of them has absolute control nor do they feel particularly restrained. It's this lack of control that governments despise because the Internet is the only thing bigger than they are, and potentially more powerful. I don't question the need for governments to know what people are doing, and I don't think they should be limited in their efforts to maintain stability. However, to expect people to use the Internet "within reason" is a dream. It would be nice if we all got along, but I don't think there is a time in human history when that has ever happened.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Political Issues