Dr. Hunter S. Thompson - Prescience

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson - Prescience

Postby kg » 18 Nov 2011, 00:53

I don't know how many here might have heard of HST, but he was a writer first propelled to fame by his "exposé" of the Hell's Angels in the Nation magazine, and later by his books, "Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas," and "Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail." The purported creator/father of "Gonzo Journalism." (For those who don't know, he died in 2005)

I found that he has a group on Facebook, and on the page of this group is reproduced something that was assumably written in 2000 in an article for ESPN. This statements speaks across the 11 years since it was written, and I feel I can see it coming to fruition today, especially the last couple of paragraphs:

Prepare for the Weirdness

"Something is happening here,
But you don't know what it is,
Do you, Mr. Jones?"
-- Bob Dylan

No sir, not a chance. Mr. Jones does not even pretend to know what's happening in America right now, and neither does anyone else.

We have seen Weird Times in this country before, but the year 2000 is beginning to look super weird. This time, there really is nobody flying the plane. ... We are living in dangerously weird times now. Smart people just shrug and admit they're dazed and confused.

The only ones left with any confidence at all are the New Dumb. It is the beginning of the end of our world as we knew it. Doom is the operative ethic.

The Autumn months are never a calm time in America. Back to Work, Back to School, Back to Football Practice, etc. ... Autumn is a very Traditional period, a time of strong Rituals and the celebrating of strange annual holidays like Halloween and Satanism and the fateful Harvest Moon, which can have ominous implications for some people.

Autumn is always a time of Fear and Greed and Hoarding for the winter coming on. Debt collectors are active on old people and fleece the weak and helpless. They want to lay in enough cash to weather the known horrors of January and February. There is always a rash of kidnapping and abductions of school children in the football months. Pre-teens of both sexes are traditionally seized and grabbed off the streets by gangs of organized Perverts.

Most of these things are obviously Wrong and Evil and Ugly -- but at least they are Traditional. They will happen. Your driveway will ice up, your furnace will blow up and you will be rammed in traffic by an uninsured driver in a stolen car.

But what the hell. That's why we have Insurance, eh? And the Inevitability of these nightmares is what makes them so reassuring. Life will go on, for good or ill. The structure might be a little Crooked, but the foundations are still Strong and Unshakable.

Ho, ho. Think again, buster. Look around you. There is an eerie sense of Panic in the air, a silent Fear and Uncertainty that comes with once-reliable faiths and truths and solid Institutions that are no longer safe to believe in. ... There is a Presidential Election, right on schedule, but somehow there is no President. A new Congress is elected, like always, but somehow there is no real Congress at all -- not as we knew it, anyway, and whatever passes for Congress will be as helpless and weak as Whoever has to pass for the "New President."

If this were the world of sports, it would be like playing a Super Bowl that goes into 19 scoreless Overtimes and never actually Ends. ... or four L.A. Lakers stars being murdered in different places on the same day. Guaranteed Fear and Loathing. Abandon all hope. Prepare for the Weirdness. Get familiar with Cannibalism.

Good luck, Doc.

Page 2 article from ESPN by Hunter S. Thompson
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Dr. Hunter S. Thompson - Prescience

Postby Yogi » 18 Nov 2011, 09:31

I've read Hunter Thomson's take on fear and loathing and see references to "Gonzo Journalism" built into many a web site. The thing that impressed me most about Hunter is that he was obviously on drugs when he wrote his books. If not abusing them himself, he certainly endorsed the culture. That doesn't take anything away from his value as an entertainer. I just like to keep in mind that THAT is all he was doing. Entertaining.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 18 Nov 2011, 12:42

Oh yes, I definitely realize that most of his writings were entertainment, whether drug-induced or not, or whether he realized it or not. The definition of "Gonzo Journalism" is a style of journalism in which the author "lives" the situation he is researching and writing on to the degree that he becomes the central figure in that story.

I just found the above article less "entertaining" and more a glimpse into the future of today from the perspective of 11 or 12 years ago. Even a drug-muddled, insane mind has periods of lucidity and insight. That, or the article struck some submerged chord of madness in my own!

"As your lawyer, I suggest that you...." :P
Carl Lazlo, Esquire - Thompson's "Lawyer"

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 20 Nov 2011, 07:16

Very prophetic. They do say drugs take you to a higher plain of consciousness. Hunter S. Thompson must have been so high he could say hi to god. ;)
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 20 Nov 2011, 15:01

AJRC wrote:Hunter S. Thompson must have been so high he could say hi to god. ;)

And then asked him, "So, what are you on?" :lol:

BTW, he sure is "high" now! Upon his death, he requested cremation and that his ashes be shot into space. His last request was granted.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Return to Political Issues