Michele Bachmann Says The Darndest Things

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Michele Bachmann Says The Darndest Things

Postby kg » 30 Sep 2011, 22:35

kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Michele Bachmann Says The Darndest Things

Postby bermbits » 01 Oct 2011, 06:51

What's to discuss? Either people get it or not, and so many seem not to. Image without substance defines much of politics today (and has for a while). In Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, there were two presidential candidates mentioned: Winston Noble and Hubert Hoag (who was always picking his nose on TV). And that was written around 1950! He knew!
When I was teaching, a former student (of questionable character) got his name on the local ballot - no one checked him out, and he was elected. He was tossed, however, when he was caught trying to sell a state-issued ski pass in the parking lot of the state-owned mountain. A small example, but a typical one.
Complicating matters is when one does look and listen, votes for someone based on hope for change and still gets screwed. Just sayin'.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 01 Oct 2011, 15:11

I more than understand your point.

bermbits wrote:Complicating matters is when one does look and listen, votes for someone based on hope for change and still gets screwed. Just sayin'.

Complicating them even further is when all the choices you're presented are essentially the same. At that point, all one can do is poke fun at whatever presents itself; that or rail at the system that presents those choices (seemingly ineffective, at this point).

I once (OK...many times) heard that the best choice for office is the (qualified) person who doesn't want that office. I tend to agree with that assessment. Desire for power is an undesirable trait in a candidate.

Which leads me to an untenable and unachievable idea. It would be wonderful if, like the military service of the late '60s and '70s, there were a draft of sorts, where (again...qualified) people were drafted into office.

You'd still have the power-seekers, who would make sure they were qualified to be drafted, but at least we'd have a chance at a good leader once in a while. In addition, it would complicate things for those who attempt to "buy" political favor. No campaigns to contribute to and those who attempt to curry political favor have to seek out other, more complicated methods.

A ludicrous and unworkable idea, I realize. So I'm reduced to poking fun at the system, wherever and whenever possible. Until I recognize a true choice, that is.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 02 Oct 2011, 06:13

Wow, she makes Dubya sound Liberal by comparison. And like one of the comments said, when Glen Beck is shaking his head at something you said you know you're in bat-shit crazy territory.

I agree with you both, your system doesn't work. Mind you what system can truly be said to be working? You seem to only have a choice of two extremes, either far right or far left and nothing in between. I'm not saying Europe's system is any better but we tend to vote for either a centre right or centre left based on the policies not based on hatred for the other side of the fence. Hell, i voted conservative in the last elections simply because the policies of Labour (Liberal) were not working to get the economy back on track. And i wasn't alone, but you tend not to get that with your system. Following party lines IMHO defeats democracy.

When the choices are as scary as Bachmann and Perry you have to ask yourself, WTF!
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Political Issues