A Sad Commentary

Decide how the world should be governed and by whom.
Forum rules
The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

A Sad Commentary

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2011, 00:02

...three-quarters of all Republicans say they would prefer a candidate who can beat President Obama over one who agrees with them on major issues...
New CNN Poll: Perry on top when it comes to electability

What Obama has or has not done aside, how can we expect to pull this country out of the mess it's in when voters are more interested in defeating the President than they are in the very issues that might solve the problems?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: A Sad Commentary

Postby pilvikki » 18 Sep 2011, 10:19

good luck guys!

we have harp-harp-harper, the king - in - spe.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 20 Sep 2011, 13:03

It's the same the world over, some don't care about policies they just want their politician to win. That's why so many politicians make promises to get elected but never keep them, they know their supporters won't really care. Getting them elected was all that really mattered to them.

Unfortunately we don't really have a better system, and i can't see things changing for many moons. :(
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 20 Sep 2011, 14:22

Hello Andy, and welcome back!

I fear you're right. I also fear that such a situation is not only inevitable, but very close to coming to pass. I don't need to remind anyone here that I have little trust of the political system, and especially politician's ability to handle financial situations. I don't even trust their ability to handle the jobs they're actually supposed to handle.

More and more, it's starting to happen around the world. That major change has been started in the Middle East, and there's no doubt it will spread, even to this country. Politicians both aspiring and entrenched need to realize that people aren't going to put up with this type of "change."

I and many others see a populist uprising coming, and if we have widespread riots such as experienced in Britain, I fear they will make what happened there look like a squabble in a sandbox.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 21 Sep 2011, 13:59

Thanks Glen, it's good to be back.

The riots in London were just mindless thugs, but i can see where you're coming from. It won't take much to light the fuse, and then BOOM! We've recently had the expenses scandal from all our politicians, we've have a coalition government that hasn't got a clue. As Karl Marx said "The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains."

I've seen talk of secession of some southern states on some of the more loony right wing forums, teabaggers talking of civil war. I think with the rise of the teaparty, if Obama wins next year i can see them taking up arms. The only problem with the loonies is that they want to replace one politician for one of their own. A true revolution is people of all walks of life wanting change, wanting a better way.

As you say the Middle East is showing us the way, whether we follow their lead is anyone's guess.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Political Issues