Do You Contribute To Often-Used Information Sites?

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Do You Contribute To Often-Used Information Sites?

Postby kg » 22 Nov 2008, 17:33

Today's Internet sites contain a great amount of information that we all use in our day to day lives. I know that I'm often on, doing research on various subjects, jumping from site to site; the very essence of "surfing."

Just today I was on MapQuest doing a little research on Port Austin, Michigan, where I was stationed back in the mid-'70s at Port Austin AFS (a NORAD radar site) as a Ground Radio Repairman. Port Austin AFS was closed in 1989 and was released to civilian use in 1990.

I noticed on MapQuest that Port Austin AFS (back off to "City" with the slider...Port Austin AFS will be just south of the city, at least until they change it) was still listed as a military installation.

I did a little research and came to the site at the first link, then posted a "Change to Map Data" with MapQuest, noting the changes they needed to make. Of course I provided the URL to them for reference.

I'm of the opinion that I should contribute in some way to the sites I use most, and even those I might come across in my surfing and never intend to visit again. I don't have a lot of money, so if I have some information that might clarify or update the site in question, I will contribute it along with references for that site's admin to check out.

Have you contributed to your favorite sites?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Do You Contribute To Often-Used Information Sites?

Postby kg » 22 Nov 2008, 18:01

OMG!

Does this picture bring back memories?! I can't tell you how many times I saw this view while stationed there, driving up to the base on the access road.

If I could only find a picture of the GATR (Ground to Air Transmitter and Receiver) site associated with it.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 22 Nov 2008, 18:36

You might want to check it out using Google Earth. There is a lot more detail from the satellite view than you see in MapQuest.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 22 Nov 2008, 18:59

OMG! Revisited!

I remember this! :o

I think I have mentioned this previously on this site, but I'll recount the incident here again:

I was stationed at Port Austin AFS from 1975 to May of 1977, as a Ground Radio Repairman. In 1976, obviously a day after the incident recounted at the above link, one of the "Golden Boys" (what we called the Radar Operators) and a friend of mine, came up to me and recounted his experience to me.

He said that the following evening/morning he was seeing multiple targets on the radar screen that were moving very quickly, changing directions and elevations very quickly and seemingly in random patterns; almost too quickly to aim the height-finder to verify elevation.

A while later someone from the news media thought to call the base and talked to my friend, asking if he could verify the multiple sightings by the civilian sector. He confirmed that he had radar contact with these targets.

Later that morning he was called into the commander's office and given a butt-chewing (and a Letter of Reprimand, if I remember correctly), admonished not to ever confirm such a sighting to civilian sources...especially the news media.

Crazy some of the things you experience in life...even crazier when some of those things come back to "haunt" you later on!

:dancer1:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 22 Nov 2008, 19:55

You might want to check it out using Google Earth.

I did that and I did find the old GATR site...it still exists, though to what use it's being put I couldn't tell. About the only thing that's there is the building and the drive up to the back of the building. I even remember the pull-up used for turning large vehicles around. No antenna farm and no fence around the property that I could tell.

But it did bring back even more memories. The main site itself has been converted to a KOA, and most of the buildings are gone, replaced by what looks like blacktop platforms for camper-trailers. Looks like they converted the old site of the Commissary to camp sites for tents. Of course the building housing the main radar itself (shown in the picture that I linked to before) is gone. It was a 5-story building with the radar antenna on top.

One of these days I'd really like to go back up there and see what is the same and what has changed in the area. It's really a nice place to visit (in the summer...DO NOT go there in the winter, unless you like winter sports) and some really nice people live there (or at least, used to).
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ohlia » 16 Dec 2008, 00:42

"Have you contributed to your favorite sites?" - Yes. I try to as often as possible to add my two cents on neo.brainformation which is my favourite site on the web. :dance:
Ohlia

Return to Internet Memes