The Economics of Spam

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

The Economics of Spam

Postby Yogi » 11 Nov 2008, 18:13

I've often wondered if anybody actually responds to the spam mail they get. Some recent research suggests that 1 out of 12.5 million spam e-mails get a response (.00001%). The researchers captured only a small segment of the "Storm" bot net and racked up about $100/day in sales. Extrapolated over the entire network, that turns out to be roughly $2 million a year. It's not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7719281.stm
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: The Economics of Spam

Postby kg » 16 Nov 2008, 00:04

For their month-long study the seven-strong team of computer scientists infiltrated the Storm network that uses hijacked home computers as relays for junk mail.

At its height Storm was believed to have more than one million machines under its control.

Another reason to keep a close watch on the operation of your computer and it's Internet connection. You have to know that these hijacked computers have to have been running slowly, and the traffic would have been heavy, and that's really kind of bad on multiple levels.

Besides the obvious slow-down due to the high traffic volume and CPU time devoted to it, some people have a cap on the amount they can do per month. When they reach that cap, their potential speed is reduced and they suffer slowdowns due to that, as well. Also, I don't know if it's still practiced, but in the past there were ISP accounts that, if you went over your cap you paid extra on your monthly charges.

I'm glad to hear that they're not making a killing on doing this. They sure do cause a lot of their victims a lot of problems and grief, and to everyone who gets this spam, it's at least an annoyance. I never, ever click on Spam links. If one of them contains something I'm interested in, I'm quite capable of Googling it and finding it from a "legitimate" source (if there is such a thing). You can look at the URL of the link you're clicking on, but you just can't be sure of the site.

Now if we could just get the other 0.00001% percent of people to follow suite, we might start to disinterest these people in using email as a marketing device.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Return to Internet Memes