Check Your Username

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Check Your Username

Postby Yogi » 14 Oct 2008, 09:06

How popular is your username? Find out here: http://usernamecheck.com/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Check Your Username

Postby imbizze » 14 Oct 2008, 11:48

Mine is taken at 6 sites, but I think 2 of those might be old accounts of mine. The spellings I originally wanted were taken almost everywhere; hence the odd spelling of I'm Busy.
imbizze

Postby mamie » 14 Oct 2008, 14:40

mamie was on that list 31 times. But I use another name in most places - :shh: so none of them were me!
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 22 Oct 2008, 19:32

Well, now that was interesting!

I first entered "kg" and found several of the sites where it was taken (as I expected), so I entered "-kg-" as I use here and found it on fewer.

But when I entered my entire Ham Radio Call, "kg5uc" (which of course should be completely specific to me and not used by anyone else), I found a surprising thing...there were several sites that indicated the user name was already in use that I've never heard of before, let alone have created an account!

Of course, there were a couple that I had created an account with, like Pandora and EBay, but my name was listed under GMail (I've already queried Google about this), LiveJournal (I've never heard of it before now...I tried checking in using my common passwords but was unable...but it was going to let me create an account under that username), TinyURL (I might have created an "account" in the past, but was unable to find a place to log in), and Vimeo (absolutely never heard of it before now...tried to get help with every email address I've held in history, and they were all invalid).

I kind of question the method or algorithm they're using to search these sites for user names. As I said, the other user names quite possibly might be used by others, but not my complete ham call sign. That should be unique to me (that is, unless my other personality is messing with me again!).

laughat:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 03 Nov 2008, 17:33

hmm... i showed up in places i don't think i've ever been... but then again, it could be someone else as the name is rare but not unique...

myspace? i think not.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Internet Memes